Italeri 1/48 Chinook RAF

ERK

Hi all,

I started this build about Two weeks ago  - I will  jump straight to the present,   I  have assembled and painted/weathered the cockpit - main floor, fitted the main rows of bench seating and decided to convert the last Three seats (each side)  at the rear into  folded up seats,   I have also detailed the rear  bulkhead sections above the rear ramp, the other  inner wall needs the same detail  - then plenty more work before I can  close up the fuselage.

Erkspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Looks great!  Watching with interest as I have one of these although I do declare I have no idea where I am going to put it once done! LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, At Sea said:

Looks great!  Watching with interest as I have one of these although I do declare I have no idea where I am going to put it once done! LOL

Indeed,   its quite a large kit.

Erk.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Good start.

Two weeks eh, that amount of work would have taken me two months!

John

Thanks John.

Erk.

Hi all, more work  - I have finished fitting the folded up seats  then  glued both side walls then added the roof, this closes up the Inner fuselage  section  just need to do a bit of  ramp area painting  before working on the outer parts.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

More work  today,   the rear roof section above the ramp is a bit sparse of detail, so I decided  to do abit of scratch building, I used a piece of card and a few other bits and pieces  then after gluing in place  - I added a few layers of paint followed by some shading.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

This is looking brilliant, great interior detail. Wanted one of these for ages, if I can ever find one for a reasonable price!

Looking forward to watching your build.

Thnak you kindly.

Erk

6 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks very smart!

Thank You.

Erk.

7 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks very smart!

I am having a slight rest from this as my  Waterloo build is calling me.

Erk.

Edited by ERK

• 1 year later...

Evening all,  I have  re-started this   -  I decided to re spray it using my airbrush,  I last attempted to rattle can  spray it, but that was akward due to not being able to hold it outside, this time I set it up on my round spray table in my  home made spray booth (cardboard box)   so I mixed up several cups of Nato Green  and went ahead.

I think its turned out ok after several passes in between drying.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Evening all,   so more work on my  "Wokka"   firstly  I built up and painted the Two engine exhausts  and fitted them in place, then I removed the masking from the tail gat area  and painted the rear wheel areas and around the rear framing, then I gave the area a bit of a dirty wash.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Evening all, where was we  -  ah yes  -  I have made up  painted and fitted the Six wheels,  then before  fitting some delicate fittings  I decided to fit the decals  - yes  I know I  should have payed  down a  gloss coat first  - but to be honest I do not have one  and did not  want to delay the build, so I carried on, most went down well with my Micro Set and Sol,  the rear sections took a bit of work and looked a bit rough at first  - but Micro Sol did its trick.

The idea is to airbrush a few costs of Ammo Acrylic supper flat top coat  that should dull down the decs and kill the shine (fingers and toes crossed)

So here's  the pics so far.

Erk.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Folks  Gremlin time  -  I was spraying some Ammo Lucky  Acrylic flat  over the top in several misting coats  (was awkward  as wearing a mask and glasses  + steaming up)   meant I could not see  what I was doing  - so the end result  some rough areas  like sand paper.

I decided to  rub this down when dry with a simple wet rag  but it removed too much  flat coat  and made the decals shiny again  -  so I gave in  and just thought to leave it alone.

I then started to remove the masks  - but low and behold  there was dust on the inside as well.

So I have given up  obviously  not meant to be.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What I could do  Is turn her into an ex BDRT bird thats no longer needed and just dumped in the corner of the hanger awaiting its diposal  - going all dusty and un loved  - with the blades romoved  but the rotor heads left on.

Erk.

• Sad 1

Looks very nice, would be a shame to abandon her!

The exterior can easily be solved, just add some e.g. Afghan dust into the weatherIng;)

Inside dust, that happens in year long builds...

But the frame is open, rinse it in water, maybe add some soap, let it dry completely for some time!

• Like 2

You can get small USB powered vacuum cleaner which will accept  smaller pipes at the small nozzles which you can use with thin rubber hose to clean out the pesky peskythings.

Somehow it is always Wokkas which seem to attract scale amounts of crud, yours is so nice that it was inevitable.

Thin rubbery vinylly pipe is your friend.

Bon chance.

• Like 1

Could you remove your airbrush from the compressor's pipe and tape the pipe to a piece of wire (or something stiff and thin) and gently thread it forward from the rear doors and give it a quick blast? (virtually on then off) There'll not be much pressure (test first on palm of hand).

Tom

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2021 at 21:53, Modelholic said:

Could you remove your airbrush from the compressor's pipe and tape the pipe to a piece of wire (or something stiff and thin) and gently thread it forward from the rear doors and give it a quick blast? (virtually on then off) There'll not be much pressure (test first on palm of hand).

Tom

Sorry for the late reply  only just seen it  - alas the kit was binned.

Erk.

• Sad 1