Tim's Showtime Phantom - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

This is where I re-enlist for a second tour,  with the Academy 1/72 F-4J Phantom - same kit as Enzo.

Academy-Phantom.jpg

I had this kit earmarked for Aces, but that's not getting to the bunfight.

This kit was an Amazon purchase in 2015, for £22.95.  An unusual kit in that it can be built snapfit, without cement,

AND with stickers as well as decals.  Aimed at the toy market - lets see about the model market then.

Decals for Showtime 100, the US Navy's only Ace crew - Lieutenant Randall H. Cunningham (pilot) Lieutenant William P. Driscoll (RIO)

This aircraft, this F-4J callsign Showtime 100, brought their third, fourth and fifth kills during a mission on 10 May 1972. 

The aircraft was shot down by a SAM, Cunningham and Driscoll reaching the sea before ejecting, and subsequent rescue.

All disected in graphic detail on History Channels Dogfights (S1:E12) pilot episode, very exciting stuff.

Showtime-Decals.jpg

Showtime-Option.jpg

And a look at the parts, they're superb quality.

Showtime-Parts.jpg

• Like 7

missing the jungle and the heat huh........or just come back to see if your cocktails were ever made!

It is a nice model by all accounts and not quite your usual Snapfit model........even our Dear Leader likes it.

Well good luck on your second tour, you know what the jungle holds for you.........and you may finally get the cocktail......I heard the drinks trolly maybe back in service! :D 

• Haha 1

Great to see that you are building an F-4 as well Tim.

This certainly does look like a great kit and showtime 100 is always a popular choice, and deservedly so.

I look forward to watching this come together.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

.or just come back to see if your cocktails were ever made!

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

and you may finally get the cocktail......I heard the drinks trolly maybe back in service! :D 

Couldn't resist the chance at a dig at your poor old long suffering 2ic could you. Strange how nobody else is complaining about a lack of service.:drink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

nice start Tim.

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Do my eyes deceive me or have the shields/cod pieces on moderator's Avatars been retired?

Pete

eeeekkk :blush: ....no wonder it was feeling a bit draughty around here! 

• Haha 2

On 10/25/2020 at 1:58 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

First time I've seen this kit out of the box. Seems like an ok kit. Want to see it close up now. The Duke has a neat record, at least while in the Navy. His political afterlife not at all.

I wasn’t aware of his post-Navy career so just looked it up. Not a neat record at all!

• Like 1

More progress today.

Masking, ready for grey.

1-Phantom-Masked.jpg

Airbrushed Humbrol 140 grey

2-Phantom-Hu140.jpg

And demasked.  The very minor repairs are completed before this photo.

03-Phantom-Demasked.jpg

And I've just spotted (and removed) the masking on the small side windows.

Very happy with that.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 2:45 AM, stevehnz said:

That looks really good Tim. I have this kit but was going to use some Jolly Rogers decals on it, seeing yours, I'm in two minds. :unsure:

Steve.

Good to hear Steve.  Jolly Rogers would also be a good scheme.🏴‍☠️

I had been (unsuccessfully) looking for the Hasegawa kit, showing this aircraft awaiting launch - when this one was released.

I've got a copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling, which gave it a good review.  The reviewer built it as snapfit, then disassembled and built it as a model.

Bought the kit on Amazon, the same day.

• Like 1