Sparmax max3 or h s ultra

Doggy

I already have a hs silver line evolution and I'm not really loving it.

I also have a sparmax dh2, this was my first ever brush and it's generally the first one I pick up.

I'm now looking to get a cheap third and my options are another sparmax or the HS ultra. 

What would you do?

Thanks

I had HS Ultra and then picked up an Evolution which I now use most of the time.  They are v similar so if you don't get on with the Evolution I don't see how you'll like the Ultra? 

The only difference between the two models I have is effectively the open nozzle on the Evolution which is great, I found excess paint would build up in the more closed head of the Ultra and then snot over the model.  Yes the Evolutions internals are probably more sophisticated but the only other discernible  difference is push vs screw on caps so not very exciting.

I like the easy cleaning of H'S vs other airbrushes I've tried, less of a faff so more likely to be done!

Hope this helps

Will

• Like 1

19 hours ago, malpaso said:

I had HS Ultra and then picked up an Evolution which I now use most of the time.  They are v similar so if you don't get on with the Evolution I don't see how you'll like the Ultra? 

The only difference between the two models I have is effectively the open nozzle on the Evolution which is great, I found excess paint would build up in the more closed head of the Ultra and then snot over the model.  Yes the Evolutions internals are probably more sophisticated but the only other discernible  difference is push vs screw on caps so not very exciting.

I like the easy cleaning of H'S vs other airbrushes I've tried, less of a faff so more likely to be done!

Hope this helps

Will

I was thinking similar. 

Buying either airbrush gives me spares for both current airbrushes.

What are the problems you are having with the Evolution??  Which nozzle sets are you using ???  Paints, thinners cleaners?

The brush that is suitable depends on what you are using it for... Subjects,  paints, thinner etc  as well are you looking for a brush for fine detail, or camo or overall coverage ????  etc... 

Paul

21 hours ago, little-cars said:

What are the problems you are having with the Evolution??  Which nozzle sets are you using ???  Paints, thinners cleaners?

The brush that is suitable depends on what you are using it for... Subjects,  paints, thinner etc  as well are you looking for a brush for fine detail, or camo or overall coverage ????  etc... 

Paul

I just can't get on with it.

I think I'm just used to the sparmax, it's my go to airbrush.

The money the HS I expected a lot more. Obviously it's the Indian and not the arrow and this Indian needs a bit more practice.

I use tamiya, Vallejo ma and some revell. Tamiya thinners, Vallejo thinners and water with the revell. 

I prime with Vallejo or something times Halfords plastic primer.

The HS was bought for fine work, German camouflage etc. 

I found the paint would dry on the tip a lot.

I've tried Vallejo flow improver and another flow improver, can't remember the name at the moment. 

I have a.2 and a .4 needle for the HS, I've tried both.

Another odd thing about the HS is it fairly goes through paint, it's a thirsty airbrush.

I probably should use it more to get used to it but it's so fickle.

Cleaning wise, I clean my brushes when I'm finished with a homebrew, ipa, screenwash and water. Occasionally I might run thinners through it.

I enjoy striping both brushes to clean and lub.

I suppose when you invest a lot of time and money into a project and the brush Plays up you loose confidence in it.

I think you have the sparmax in stock but I noticed you were stock taking at the moment.

The only thing I would say if you are having problems is to stick to the manufacturers products.   And use the thinner and retarder that the manufacturer recommends for each paint range. 

Vallejo paint doesn't generally doesn't like solvents, it can gel the paint a little and it can collect in the nozzle and could be part of the problem you are having with the Evolution.  

Paul

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, little-cars said:

The only thing I would say if you are having problems is to stick to the manufacturers products.   And use the thinner and retarder that the manufacturer recommends for each paint range. 

Vallejo paint doesn't generally doesn't like solvents, it can gel the paint a little and it can collect in the nozzle and could be part of the problem you are having with the Evolution.  

Paul

Absolutely, I'll persevere.

Cheers

If thinking of an H&S Ultra, something else to consider

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Airbrush-Military-Colours/dp/B001N1HGAM/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+paint+set+model+air&qid=1604236331&sr=8-32

The price fluctuates like mad, can go up to £180 and comes down to £95.  Currently at £97.

That gives you an H&S Ultra, hose and 29 Vallejo Model Air paints.

If the paints are useful the total package is a bargain.  If the paints are of no interest then not so.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nheather said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Airbrush-Military-Colours/dp/B001N1HGAM/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+paint+set+model+air&qid=1604236331&sr=8-32

The price fluctuates like mad, can go up to £180 and comes down to £95.  Currently at £97.

If the paints are useful the total package is a bargain.  If the paints are of no interest then not so.

Cheers,

Nigel

It's not a bad deal. 

I just realized today my .2mm nozzle is split. A new nozzle is 15 quid, or a kit is over 40. 

A new ultra is 65.

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 1:14 PM, nheather said:

Cheers,

Nigel

Looks like £190 with 30 paints on amazon at the moment.  Sounds a bit steep to me and you probably won't use all the paints.

Separately £65 for the brush,  £10 to £20 for the hose depending on spec.  Then you can buy the paints you need,.....

Paul

9 minutes ago, little-cars said:

Looks like £190 with 30 paints on amazon at the moment.  Sounds a bit steep to me and you probably won't use all the paints.

Separately £65 for the brush,  £10 to £20 for the hose depending on spec.  Then you can buy the paints you need,.....

Paul

Yeah, I made that point on the main thread specifically about the bargain.  I pointed out that even when at the low end of the fluctuation is is a good deal but not a great one.  I think the AB that comes with it is a 0.2mm - so if you wanted to add a 0.4mm later you would almost be better off buying the 2in1 up front and then get the paints you actually want.  At the top end, it is a poor deal.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 10/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, Doggy said:

I already have a hs silver line evolution and I'm not really loving it.

I also have a sparmax dh2, this was my first ever brush and it's generally the first one I pick up.

I'm now looking to get a cheap third and my options are another sparmax or the HS ultra. 

What would you do?

Thanks

I have both and for some reason the Sparmax has proven far less problematic. The Ultra feels a bit 'sticky' while the Sparmax shoots straight from the (airbrush) box. At least it did last time I was able to use it (about 8 months now). That said I also have an HS Evo which has been ok though I traded in my Ultra for an Iwata Custom Micron for that extra bit of pezaz. At least, that was the plan.

• Like 1

We are all different and one companies approach to the brush will suit some a different one for other people.   

The Sparmax brushes I would look at the Max-4 , traditional airbrush 0.4mm nozzle, 7ml paint cup . Gives you a brush for larger  area and preset handle on the back. 

The other is the Sparmax GP-35.  o.35mm nozzle, side fed cups.  It's a trigger brush with an amazing range from fine detail to reasonable area work, & has a preset handle at the back.

Very simple to use pull the trigger back until you feel resistance, this opens the air valve, then pull it more to start the paint flowing.  There are also larger nozzle versions 0.5 & 0.7mm.

Paul

Sparmax GP-35                         Sparmax Max-4

• Like 1

I've been using my HS a lot more now since I bought the V2 kit from Paul.

I'm getting on with it a bit better, I think patients is the key.

The HS and sparmax are very very different animals. 

I need to pull the trigger back quite a bit on the sparmax to get lots of paint. If I pull the trigger right back on the HS the cup empties really quickly. 

It's all a big learning curve.

I have both a Sparmax 3.0 and an H&S Infinity and would agree that you do have to pull the trigger quite far back to get sufficient paint through and the evolution is far easier to control for fine work.

The Sparmax tends to be used for laying down primer or acrylic colour. The H&S is used for enamels and such. I like them both and they both have their place for me.

It's all about what you're comfortable with.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

The HS is quite fussy.

I like to thoroughly flush it between refilling the cup. 

Vallejo is easily cleaned out with water. Cleaning so often for me just removes one more thing that can go wrong. 

I probably enjoy the sparmax a little bit more, it's robust and a little bit more reliable, I have confidence in it.

I'll keep plodding on.

I would go for the sparmax a very reliable spray gun, I was given one when I purchased my replacement compressor did not what to use it at first, but when I started using it it never went wrong for 18 months of continues use. Never heard of this make until then, but has proved to be a very good product.

sammy

• Like 1