First RAF Ace, Kiwi Flown Hurricane 1/72nd.

A brand new build from my rather meagre and temporary modelling base (until my new shed arrives in a couple and a half months).  Airfix Mk.1 Hurricane with decals supplied by BM member 'vildebeest' (Many Thanks!!).  Depicts the 73 Squadron Hurricane of 67 wing,  flown by Edgar  'Cobber' Kain of New Zealand,  in early half  of 1940 over France.  He was top scorer up to the time of his unfortunate end with 17 kills to his credit and the first Ace in the RAF at the time.  

I found no fit problems with the kit at all and no filler used  except to change the fabric are behind the gun bay on top side of wing to correctly show the metal area.  I know there might be a couple errors such as the prop that could / should be a Watts two blader and the aerial mast more of a straight pole as befits early Hurricanes. But apparently there were field mods and the prop and antenna mast could well have ben changed at the time. I am not certain but willing to correct once I can source a suitable propeller and fashion an early aerial mast.  Also the addition of the serial on my model may not be right as on many at the time they were overpainted . I have come across a couple pics of 73 Squadron Hurris with serials  showing so a bit of artistic licence on my part.  Anyway, here is my model:

EqXQsd.jpg

4yBw8L.jpg

mVmi56.jpg

vLnSe7.jpg

RNutSq.jpg

giBCpa.jpg

Not entirely happy with the pics and will re do them and repost here when done.

Thanks for looking.

NEW photos further down this thread!

• Like 35

15 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Nice job!  What scale is this, I have a spare 1/48 Watts prop.

Hi.It's 1/72. Thanks anyway.

57 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Top right of your posted message = 3 wee dots.

Click on them and it gives a menu of options, including 'edit'

hth

Thanks!  And thanks for comments.

• Paul J changed the title to First RAF Ace, Kiwi Flown Hurricane 1/72nd.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. Updated photos of the above.   Sourced myself a Watts prop via Hannants using the PJ Product. Had to make backing plate to mount the prop and found a spare 'half' wheel half.... the type in some kits where a half wheel is supplied for when undercarriage up is chosen. My one came from the Airfix Cherokee!  Perfect diameter and with the hole opened up to take the prop shaft worked a treat!!!   Its still detachable from my model so I can swap it about with the 3 blader if I care to.

Here are the new pics:

ANJJFa.jpg

cnU6fB.jpg

vuv0ry.jpg

OfE4sN.jpg

8MpRPd.jpg

G7UJqj.jpg

JlRK4q.jpg

hshN9G.jpg

By the way, while looking through my spares box for the 'wheel' I came across the original Airfix two blade prop on a sprue with other bits.  I had forgotten this as it came from the original issue when it had the Belgian decals!   ( S"*s law innit.)

• Like 7