1/1000 Polar Lights Star Trek The Wrath of Khan Diorama (USS Enterprise / USS Reliant)

Hi everyone, I have been wanting to build this diorama for some time now, having gathered up the entire photo etch and extra decals to go with these kits, although small in scale they do have great details. I plan to add some lighting to both ships and some battle damage to the Enterprise, I will be recreating the battle scenes from the movie, this will be keeping me busy until the end of the year no doubt.

u0K3nNC.jpg
Fk37Wek.jpg
PXpbFEV.jpg

• Like 12

Hi guys, I have been busy adding lighting to the Enterprise and Reliant kits. The Enterprise has had battle damage added to it with some blue and white flickering smd's fitted and all of the decals put on, they needed some Tamiya X20A to get them to soften and bed down, but overall they went on pretty well. The Reliant has now got all of the lighting fitted including lighting around the hanger bay doors. I will be adding most of the decals to the Reliant next and then putting the upper and lower decks together and adding the photo etch detailing. I have decided not to add any lighting to the warp nacelles as the blue chiller grills as they are known were not lit in the movie, so I have decided for accuracy to not light them. Also I have bought a Galaxy print to use as a back drop for the diorama; I intend to add some more colours to it in an effort to give it the Mutara Nebula look. That's all for now guys thanks for looking.

dmBUdhG.jpg
ty3McWY.jpg
V4E9N9m.jpg
yNwMu50.jpg
nyjpyec.jpg
uN4fLfc.jpg
UOKHLHU.jpg
UDhzy0l.jpg
UY3JWLo.jpg
pks9xDv.jpg
c50s1fx.jpg
cCeCTrV.jpg

• Like 10

'Khan, I'm laughing at the 'superior' intellect...'

Love that battle. One of the best even today. As much about smarts, patience and tactics as firepower. And those models are looking great! Liking the lighting. Would love some close ups of the battle damage.

Edited by Thom216
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thom216 said:

'Kahn, I'm laughing at the 'superior' intellect...'

Love that battle. One of the best even today. As much about smarts, patience and tactics as firepower. And those models are looking great! Liking the lighting. Would love some close ups of the battle damage.

Thanks,the battle damage will be fully revealed once i have finished the diorama,there is some nice details in those areas,so watch out for more updates!

• Like 1

Hi all, I have been busy building the Reliant kit, it's all together with the lighting, still needs the final decals adding etc, but we are getting close to finishing this part of the build off now. For the Chiller grills I used some kitchen foil as a backing to reflect some light back and give a better look to them overall. Also I have done a lot of hand painting in the details and added some photo etch here and there.

FiFOgk1.jpg
KslJSPr.jpg
k2YZYEl.jpg
IBtOL0p.jpg
cPOKCA9.jpg
44FlnbC.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all, just a quick update on the Wrath of Khan build, well I have just about completed the Reliant ship, I wanted to have the Phasor cannons firing, so I used some 2mm clear acrylic rod which I lightly sanded and sprayed orange pearl fading the colour towards the ends. In person they appear to project the light from the orange LED's down the acrylic rod to a point of light, unfortunately the camera does not show the effect so well, but in a dimly lit room it really does look great. So now I have to create the Mutara Nebula by adding some lighting and paint effects to the Galaxy print, then get it all assembled for the final reveal.

kYsI6lT.jpg
12s96Cm.jpg
vUK2GIr.jpg
TSbeGcy.jpg
qfNnLrA.jpg
YVmsA6Z.jpg
ZuT1Z4K.jpg
P0eWrJi.jpg
07wCUBR.jpg
CcMwBK1.jpg
cx4RtOm.jpg

• Like 3