New Modeller - Penny Blake - Hello

Pennys Pitstop

So, Ill start by saying that I really hate these intro posts. I really hate writing about myself as I think I describe myself in the most boring way. I mean, Im not the most interesting person in the world but when I write about myself it comes out even worse. However, its only polite to do them and as I hold good manners in high regard here I go

SO, Im a female, 48 (I think, not sure as Covid seems to have thrown everything out), Im a contract Bus Driver currently in Kent, but that changes regular as I pick up contracts throughout the country from time to time.

Si, my modelling life I will describe in 4 phases 

As A Kid

So, usual story as a kid. Picked up a few kits, some brushes, paint, slapped in on, made a mess, probably stood on a few and broke them. More than likely had a few chewed up by the dog as she was rather like that. Then got a bit more serious, got better and by the time I hot my teens I focused my efforts more and had a real keen interest in US Naval aircraft. I would rate myself as rather good for a kid with a brush who made "Clean" models ie no weathering. The only area that let me down was white paint which as you can imaging was often an issue doing US Naval aircraft.

As I got older and (I hate to say this) more important things got in the way, such as working, paying bills, rasing children etc, making Models became more and more a distant memory

2000`s

Around this time I got into miniture wargaming. I was fasinated by the detail on the figures and how to paint them. I was never interested in playing the games but painting the figures was great and also because of the size you didnt need such a large hobby area. Although I dont paint these figures any more there are a few skills I took away with me such as washes, colour variations and so on and so forth.

2010s

Probably more like late 2010`s but I started to get into big projects. I pretty much because a "Go big or go home" person. If you are going to do something make it magnificant. Partwork models entered my life and Ill be honest I personally dont think partworks in their basic format are a real subject here. If you are going into modding and weathering then yes, bung it in, but assembling pre painted parts out of the mag with a screwdriver, although producing a great result is a bit different. Im aware that I just ruffled a few feathers there but please note that it was just an opinion and it will tie in with the rest of my post.

So, more partworks came, some Im bulding out of the mag, some Im unhappy with. When I get unhappy I do something about it. So, for example, Im really unhappy with the 1:12 spitfire by Hachette so Ive begun to repaint it and weather it. Im now rather happy with it so far and I hope that it will end up with a "used byt not used up" look. By that I mean imagine its in a museum. Its well looked after and preserved well, but at the end of the day it is 80 years old.

Now

So that takes me to now. I feel that with the basic skills having been learnt a lom time ago, and thankfully retained, with the new skills Ive learnt in the last few years its time to take it up a notch. Also with money not being as free flowing as it used to be its time to do more stuff thats better vaue for money and I see scale models as fitting in well. I see it like this

If I buy a £10 kit and complete it in a week then over 12 months Ive spent over £500 on kits

However, if I spend £250 on a grand kit and it takes me 12 months to complete then although the initial layout is greater the cost per week is much lower.

There are two ways to achieve this. One is to buy better kits that require more work and the other is to go the extra mile, for example, weathering

With this in mind, as well as my other projects I have on the go these are my plans

* Finish up my partworks

* Any future partwork releases Ill research and see if there is an alternative. For example, its rumoured that eaglemoss will release a 1/8 scale willy jeep costing £10 a week over 120 issues. However, Dragon Models do alovely looking jeep in 1/6 scale for less than £200.

* Obvioulsy Im building my ships

* I want to restart my US Navy aircraft project, Ive already started an SH-60B Seahawk. Terrible kit my Italiari but the extra challenge is there to make it work, so Im happy.

* I also want to build every aircraft ever stationed at RAF Lakenheath as thats my birthplace and I feel that airbase has a wonderful story to tell. Plus its a great excuse to build a B-29 LOL

* I also have a could of 3D Printed projects on the go, one being a full sized R2D2 but thats on hold at the moment.

* Ive also discovered basic electronics and would love to combine that with scale models, for example, arduino controlled motors, lights and sound boards. It has potential but Im too much of a beginer at this precise moment.

So, feel free to ask questions. I think thats the better way to introduce yourself, that way I tell you what you want to know rather than fill the interspace with irrelevant rubbish LOL

Also, better thank the admins for approving my application, it is appreciated. I know Ill be bugging people a lot in my early days but hopefully, one day, Ill be passing on the knowledge not yet learnt to the new members who are not yet born.

O, also, Im aware that my profile may be boring. Thats my next job, get some interest going in the profile page.

• Like 11

Hello Penny and welcome to the forum.

I note your interest in Wycombe Wanderers - I live in High Wycombe so I keep a weather eye on them and am waiting for them to get their first points in the Championship, though I must admit my footballing heart belongs to London N.17.

I look forward to seeing your finished models here on Britmodeller.

1 hour ago, Pennys Pitstop said:

If I buy a £10 kit and complete it in a week then over 12 months Ive spent over £500 on kits

However, if I spend £250 on a grand kit and it takes me 12 months to complete then although the initial layout is greater the cost per week is much lower.

There are two ways to achieve this. One is to buy better kits that require more work and the other is to go the extra mile, for example, weathering

Sound fiscal rationale has no place in scale modelling (he says, ordering his fifth kit in the last fortnight!) 😁

Look forward to your projects!

• Like 1

Hello Penny...:post1: from the great city of Chicago. Im 49 myself and have been building since 1979. I mostly build aircraft from WW2 through modern but do dabble in other types. Currently I’m hosting a group build for Panther tanks. Please don't hesitate to ask questions here everyone is quite friendly. 

Dennis

Hi Penny

Welcome in.

As I near life long resident of High Wycombe I have to respect your choice of the Blues to support (although I personally follow another team of Wanderers - NO not Bolton!).  My main problem seems to be spending over £500 on kits and not completing any! :wink:

Rich

I agree with you on two things, I hate introductions and I like U. S. Naval aircraft. That's

about all I have to say, oh yeah, welcome.---John

• Haha 1

Welcome aboard to the forum. You’ll find it a friendly place and the knowledge that some folk on here have and freely willingly share is mind blowing. Really good people 

Enjoy your time with us

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, Nigel Bunker said:

Hello Penny and welcome to the forum.

I note your interest in Wycombe Wanderers - I live in High Wycombe so I keep a weather eye on them and am waiting for them to get their first points in the Championship, though I must admit my footballing heart belongs to London N.17.

I look forward to seeing your finished models here on Britmodeller.

No kidding? I used to live there back in the early-mid 80s, at High Wycombe Air Station/RAF Daws Hill.

10 hours ago, Ray B. said:

I used to live there back in the early-mid 80s, at High Wycombe Air Station/RAF Daws Hill.

I doubt you'd recognise the base now - it's been cleared and new houses built on the site. Tempus fugit.

I wonder if we're the only two with a Wales / Wycombe connection?  I was born in Wycombe, moved to Wales, moved back to Wycombe before finally moving back to Wales 20 years ago.

I can't build models for toffee but there are plenty here who are experts.  I suspect you might be one of them!

Welcome Penny.  Nice range of project you have there.  The Lakenheath bit caught my attention.  I have a couple of LN jets & a scale HAS.  Maybe some more still to come, so look forward to seeing how you progress.  With regard to the footie, I have been to Adams Park but only in the away end, being a Colchester a United fan.

Hope you enjoy it here.