AZ 1/72 Spitfire TR.9 fuselage length

Giorgio N

I've seen that AZ has recently reissued their Spitfire TR.9 kit and as I missed it the first time, I'm considering getting one. However by looking at the sprue shots I noticed how this is based on their previous "high quality" Spitfire IX series, meaning that I'd very likely have a wing that is quite short in span...

Now I wonder, how is the new two.seat fuselage ? The original single seater fuselage is a couple mm shorter than the Eduard kit, that is better than the 5 mm in the wings but still not ideal. Does anybody here have a TR-9 that can compare with the Eduard kit ?

Should the fuselage be good in terms of length, I'm contemplating adding the AZ fuselage to a set of Hasegawa wings. The hase fuselage is not good but the wings are nice.

In case the two-seat fuselage is also too short (and this is what I'm expecting...), then I'll have to see if I can use at least the two canopies on an Eduard kit, not an easy conversion of course...

Giorgio,

I have the AZ two-seater and it's too short, just like the single-seater. I've chopped it behind the cockpits and inserted a plug to get the length right, and may or may not finish it. Problem is the wings are still too short in span and not easy to correct. Alternatively one could chop the top half of the Eduard fuselage, insert the AZ cockpits in the correct place and fill/sand. Then you'd have the benefit of decent wings too.

Justin

Justin

• Thanks 1

Short of getting the CMR all-resin  TR9, I would think @Bedders plan is the way to go; cut the Eduard fuselage along the longeron below the entry door at the appropriate location for the front cockpit that was moved forward to behind the second cockpit. If the AZ second cockpit is accurate,then use it- if not,  then scratchbuild one. Been a while since I thought about a two-seater, so guessing you would also  need to remove/fill the armament, cannon blisters and case ejector slots from an Eduard Mk IX kit. IIRC all of the ones converted used the broader chord, pointed runner and had the fixed tailwheel. I don't think they had the Aerovee filter, but it looks like the Irish ones did. The three Dutch examples were pretty handsome aircraft, in my opinion.

Mike

review of the OOP CMR kit

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/features/spitfiretr972md_1.htm

• Like 1

Giorgio,

For your info I've dug out my Tr9 project - here's a photo.

resized_4b5113e5-fa71-4322-a093-6599e3b2

You'll see that I've had a go at the wings too, with slivers of plasticard at the rear of the ailerons as a result of trying to extend the ellipse of the wing. Still very rough sanding in evidence but it's taking shape. At this stage I might just carry on rather than go down the Eduard route.

Justin

• Like 3

Thanks Justin, very interesting approach! I like it a lot, seems like a good way of sorting the fuselage length issue.

After reading the previous comment I started having doubts about buting the kit, this solution however may just be what I need.

It's a pity that AZ messed their Spit ix dimensions, they are nice kits to build.