Second Attempt

Aurange

Hello all! Greetings from Australia 🇦🇺

As with a lot of members, I collected and built model kits as a teenager before life got in the way.

Back then I prefered the size and level of detail of 1:72 aircraft, initially starting with WW2 fighters and a small number of twin-engine aircraft, before moving onto more modern aircraft (what was modern at that time). The exceptions being a Nimitz class CVN-69 Eisenhower and an IDF Merkava MkII. After a pause of a few years, the last I built was in my early 20s; a Russian T54/55, where I explored weathering. Unfortunately, I have none of these with me.

Lately, I've decided I need a hobby at home that helps me regulate a bit of the work/life balance. I've probably gotten a little ahead of myself and bought a bunch of kits over the last year while invesitaging how I want to go about doing this (I take my time with things, especially those I want to do properly).

I've never air brushed before, so I've tried to do some homework before jumping into the deep end. It's always been brush work in the past, using enamel (Humbrol) paints. Since I've (re-)started my hobby and turned my attention to maritime (1:350) kits, it seems an airbrush will allow large areas to be covered far more effectively. I've also decided to move towards using acrylic and have decided to go with Tamiya's range of colours. I think I've acquired all the tools I'm going to need, with a few dispatched and on their way as I type (including a Badger 155-7 Anthem).

Having been lurking over a week, a Work In Progress recently completed by @Terry1954 in particular (the Chinese Type 039G class diesel electric submarine) caught my attention. It had me wondering what I'd do if the kit in the sprue wasn't exactly accurate. Also, how to build a kit that at first glance appears to be one tone of black overall. Thanks to that inspiration (and also being the same submarine kit as one I bought) I've decided to do more homework on the subjects I'm preparing to build and teaching myself how to innovate when it's not the way it should be. If I end up actually getting anywhere, I'd like to try my hand at a scratch build project later down the track.

As I mentioned above, I don't enjoy an abundance of time and I'll be moving slowly. I'll attempt to capture my progress and share as I go, and get involved in my new area of interest.

Aurange

Edited by Aurange
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, an airbrush is great. Just this past August, I used my airbrush for the first time. While not great, by the standards posted on this forum by the masters, I'm quite chuffed by the results. Will be using it more, for sure.

Chris

Welcome Aurange! 

I'm quite honoured to find my little 039 effort had given you some inspiration, especially as it was my first foray into 1/350 and the only submarine I've ever built from a kit. You will probably have seen from my signature links below, I build a variety of models. I just love the hobby, but I am retired now and have the time.

As Chris has indicated an airbrush is a great asset to have. I now use it most of the time except for small detail additions and weathering.

Very much looking forward to seeing your work here. We are a friendly and helpful bunch, and we all work at different places, so no pressure at all.

Terry

Thank you, Dennis. As with most of my life, I'm probably better at being a bad example.

Here is a link to my Hurricane. The airbrushing starts on Page 11. Please note that I'm a real slow builder. This is maybe a good way to show how not to do it.

Chris

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Thank you, Dennis. As with most of my life, I'm probably better at being a bad example.

Here is a link to my Hurricane. The airbrushing starts on Page 11. Please note that I'm a real slow builder. This is maybe a good way to show how not to do it.

Dont knock yourself(work) Chris, you're doing fine. My two longest builds took 14.5 and 9.5 years so you’ve got nothing on me. You’ve figured out this airbrushing business and there are a lot of tips and advice in your build that could help another airbrush rookie.  

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 18:15, Terry1954 said:

Very much looking forward to seeing your work here. We are a friendly and helpful bunch, and we all work at different places, so no pressure at all.

While I'm awaiting delivery of my air compressor I've started collecting photos of the subject. There's only so much you can find by Googling "Song" or "Type 039" with "submarine," but I stumbled across a Chinese translation for their vessel types and used that instead. It opened the floodgates to lots of detailed photos.

I imagine I'll soon need to decide how much detail/accuracy is practical 🤔

• Like 2