Diorama foam

Webby954

Depends on the foam and what you are doing with it.

You can get foamboard (also known as foamcore) easily and cheaply from eBay and most artists shops.  This is one of the best/easiest materials to make your buildings out of.

You can also get XPS foam (XPS = extruded polystryene, not to be confused with EPS, see below), XPS is commonly known as blue foam or pink foam, although it's now all a dark grey, made by Dow Corning as I understand it.  It can be obtained, again on eBay or slightly more cheaply at the place I recently found - bluefoam.co.uk.  Good for buildings, and free standing walls or exposed floors and the like, and some details can be scribed into the surface, which you can't really do with foamcore.

The same XPS foam is also used for underfloor insulation boards as I understand it.  You could also use stuff like Kingspan (brand name, seems to be XPS to me, but with a foil layer over it, used as wall insulation boards), it comes in 8ft by 4ft sheets.  Look in your local DIY place like B&Q, Wickes etc. for those.

You'll see a lot of table top gamers (like me) using foamcoare and XPS for their terrain/scenery pieces (a lot of youtubers exclusively use XPS for their buildings) - like this -

If you really want to get messy you can use EPS sheet (EPS = expanded polystyrene), also known as polystyrene sheet, known to our US friends as bead foam (for obvious reasons).  Personally, having used XPS now, I wouldn't go back to using bead foam.  It's also available at DIY stores as 8x4 sheets.  And comes as packaging for various products, or used to, usually it's white.

Edited by RobL