1/48 Eduard Kitbash Spitfire VII

Hi there,

Here is my kitbash of an early Spitfire IX and a VIII to make a VII stationed at Culmhead near where I live at the time of D-Day.  Air compressor intake on stbd engine cowl made from a cut and filed bit of sprue.

resized_43ee98ed-50c5-4bbf-b6e4-e69edc54

resized_6dbbd759-65b9-45cd-97ef-3ac64e1a

resized_15e260eb-d430-40dd-a19a-ba4e82ae

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

kitbash of an early Spitfire IX and a VIII to make a VII

I'm puzzled as to why you used an VII and IX, AFAIK, the VIII alone is a good starting point?  Is there a WIP thread, or just the finished results?

Would you like detail feedback?  

It's a very neat model,  but not flattered by the photos,  may I  suggest taking the base outside, and doing a few shots in natural light, most cameras in close up mode will blur the background, so if you have any greenery you can use that.

Light cloud is good, as it gives a soft light,  direct sun can be a bit harsh.

Just as an idea of how basic this can be, my comedy set up is a faded and grubby baize topped card table I found, the fading and bobbling though does a reasonable bit of rough filed impression,  plonked flat on a storage box outside the house,  which means I can get low down angles and  I have a park in front of me for the backdrop

This is taken early evening, with a toytown point and shoot digital camera, ie it would have been a cheap camera 15 years ago, and was a fiver off ebay with post...

49927193301_ce224640da_c.jpg50620040 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Other folks just get large sheet of paper,   which provides a neutral background,  if you have a reasonable printer,  you can easily print of a background,  I went image on hunt for backgrounds a while back (I don't have decent printer set up )  and eventually found www.geograph.org.uk

there are masses of images, though this I thought would work very well for an airfield backdrop

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2648740

Well worth having a bit of a play, it's more about taking away obvious distractions 

A far more carefully and better method than my cheap and cheerful effort is detailed on page 2 of this RFI thread, bit more work.

this is by Paul @CplPunishment, so you get an idea of what his set up can achieve

SeafireXVII-61.jpg

Just a suggestion, your pics are better than those of great models on battered cutting mats or paint splattered booths!  

HTH

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Thanks for that,  I cannot remeber why I messed about with IX wings on a VIII fuselage to give me a VII.

I do need to mess about with pictures, thanks for the tips.  I did mean to take it to Culmhead & take a pic there,  I may yet now you have given me some tips!

• Like 1

I remember why I kit bashed a IX and a VIII!

the VII has the short carburettor intake a’la early IX. The VIII kit has the longer one.

21 hours ago, At Sea said:

I remember why I kit bashed a IX and a VIII!

the VII has the short carburettor intake a’la early IX. The VIII kit has the longer one.

I had to check this, indeed the VIII lacks the smooth lower cowling piece, but the short carb intake is on the common sprue in all the Eduard kits.  Not got around to check the wing options for mounting points.   

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I had to check this, indeed the VIII lacks the smooth lower cowling piece, but the short carb intake is on the common sprue in all the Eduard kits.  Not got around to check the wing options for mounting points.   

As I had both in the stash it seemed and easy workaround.  Plus as my 'Not MH434' shows the other bits didn't go entirely to waste!

Nice to see. I had the same thought when I inspected the Mk VIII kit. I don't have an early Mk IX, so I'll build as a Mk VIII.

Cheers,

Wlad

1 hour ago, Wlad said:

I had the same thought when I inspected the Mk VIII kit. I don't have an early Mk IX, so I'll build as a Mk VIII.

If you can fill the hole in the undernose panel, which is not a big job, the short intake is on the common parts sprue. The under nose panel is an alternate part in all the Mk.IX kits,  not just the early boxing as well. 

It's worth seeing what leftover parts are in Eduard kits, as there are usually some and they can be handy as 'free' aftermarket for other kits.

the Falcon Spitfire Special vac canopy set has a Mk.VII specific canopy BTW.

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set51.html

On 25/10/2020 at 17:18, Troy Smith said:

If you can fill the hole in the undernose panel, which is not a big job, the short intake is on the common parts sprue. The under nose panel is an alternate part in all the Mk.IX kits,  not just the early boxing as well. 

It's worth seeing what leftover parts are in Eduard kits, as there are usually some and they can be handy as 'free' aftermarket for other kits.

the Falcon Spitfire Special vac canopy set has a Mk.VII specific canopy BTW.

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set51.html

Good to know @Troy Smith. I also have the late Mk IXc and the Mk XVI two pack from Eduard, along with a Mk VII conversion from Brengun (for Hasegawa), and Mk XIX vacuform canopy from Airwaves (which is now redundant as I have the Airfix Mk XIX) which can be used for the back glazing. I just have to build the Mk VIII, or Mk VII, and sort out the bits for future projects. Thanks for the info.