Best and accurate to production Kamov Ka-50?

Robertone139

Italeri, Revell (likely a rebox of someone else's product), Zvezda and Hobby Boss all made the Hokum in 1/72 scale (let's not consider ESCI/ERTL early release) and I know that Zvezda boxed at least two different versions.

So which one is best?

Thanks all.

Got to rain on your parade some more - the myriad of boxings of the Italeri, Revell, and Zvezda kit are all the early 90's Italeri kit. Not terrible, but quite elderly now. The hobby Boss kit is much newer, but has issues, too. I've never seen it in person, but I've been told the landing gear is weak physically, and there are ejector pin marks everywhere. Seems like a toss up of mediocrity if the Ka-50 is your thing. 

2 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Got to rain on your parade some more - the myriad of boxings of the Italeri, Revell, and Zvezda kit are all the early 90's Italeri kit. Not terrible, but quite elderly now. The hobby Boss kit is much newer, but has issues, too. I've never seen it in person, but I've been told the landing gear is weak physically, and there are ejector pin marks everywhere. Seems like a toss up of mediocrity if the Ka-50 is your thing. 

Yep. True.

Keep in mind that there were only handfull Ka-50s produced and from what I understand they were a bit different one from another. I think latest Zvezda looks good. Early 90s boxing of Zvezda had Italeri in it and ofcourse when they come up with their own molds they forgot to change the kit number. So if you are going to buy old boxing of Ka-50 there is a 50% chance of getting Italeri. However if you are going to buy Ka-50Sh boxing you are going to get new mold + sprue to represent Sh versions (hint: there were 2 slightly different versions proposed and demonstrated on the MAKS over few different years before Ka-50 was abandoned in favor of Ka-52). However there is one another "minor" issue with Zvezda kits: looks like at some point they've got into legal issues with OKB Kamov (note that Kamov models from zvezda do not feature "licenved by" label) and the had to remove the Kamov from the decals so the decal that are in the recent boxings do not represent any particular helicopter. Early boxings of the new mold as well as the boxings that have Italeri represent the black demonstrator though. But you are better off getting Begemot Ka-50/Ka-52 decal sheet.

Edited by Doom3r

I have Dragon's kit and apparently a later Zvezda mold plus a scattering of Italeri's dark green parts.

My reference is IAPWR with an in depth article on the Ka-50/52.

Apparently also Amodel had their own Ka-52 at one point.

The Ka-50Sh boxing looks attractive and I would need a mod set for the actual Ka-52 bought by the Russian Navy.

Edited by Robertone139

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Trumpeter Management

Can we have a nice, 1/32nd version of this chopper, please (with sprinkles on!)? Preferably one that hasn't been designed over a drunken weekend? Well, I can dream, can't I?

Chris.