Toyota Hilux WPL C24 1/16 rc

So I was in the middle of building a 1/32 F-14 and I bought a little RC Toyota Hilux truck for my 3 1/2 year old boy. The kit has the snappy title of WPL C24 which gives no hint as to what it will actually resemble. It arrived and I assembled it in a couple of hours and thought it looked a good scale model.....just very plasticy. What it really needed was a quick paint job! I decided that as easy as a pristine truck would be to achieve it really needed to have a well used and abused appearance. And so I set about painting a very rusty battered looking 70's Hilux in period race truck colours. A base of rust was applied using various shades of brown. This was sealed with Klear and then a layer of the cheapest 99p hairspray I could find was applied. Acrylic paint was then applied and as soon as it was touch dry I started to chip away at the paint by softening it with water and then using a stiff bristle brush and cocktail stick. Once happy, the layer was sealed with Klear and the process repeated for subsequent coloured layers. I then made some decals to add a bit more interest.  My mate 3D printed off a TOYOTA badge for the tail gate which really finished it off well. I left the head lights, indicators and tail light transparencies off as I thought it suited the appearance. Finally I weathered the chassis and applied a layer of dust to complete the look. The 'quick' paint job was very thereaputic but took 10 days doing a bit each evening. And what did my boy think?..........Meh. He just likes driving it round the house! Now back to the Tomcat.....

fs7PZE5S_o.jpg

Ege34naL_o.jpg

Rj4sbO7H_o.jpg

z5ZPO0us_o.jpg

ZxMnn7hH_o.jpg

iBByPyv4_o.jpg

9cu2ezxq_o.jpg

u3mEghdq_o.jpg

EuIfiKUK_o.jpg

Kyo0JH8t_o.jpg

EmG047K4_o.jpg

lJWVG0aL_o.jpg