Imperial Russian Navy Monitor Uragan, 1865

y4mDPt3EKjhBu7Qi8Gq7otB2qbLEmhSeh2rKQbQA

Here is my finished model of the Imperial Russian Navy’s monitor Uragan as commissioned in 1865. It is a paper model built from a 1:250-scale kit for the United States Navy monitor Lehigh designed by the late Magnus Mörck and available as a free download from Models n’Moore (www.modelsnmooore.com). Russia purchased the design from the American government for the US Navy’s first production class of monitors (the Passaic class of which Lehigh was a member) and built ten near clones. I made quite a few changes to model the Russian ship which are detailed in my work in progress for this model. I also there describe how I make my sea bases.

y4mNeuoOX0CcTbkzXH40osCC0IijHdextHNV6GbV

y4m9yt7K9GWv4MAVpzCzpwRNXiD7VyX1rqixZKUu

y4mbg3ALjji16l8cyKWz387a0IZUnzvolF9pHpO9

y4m2TNm0Sb8wYmNpQmnTBszsG0XE3BPwB2ONJ_Q3

y4mRZ3w_ki-qyTLl64v07K-qnWtqxfbn9J0DUJcB

y4m4s1ZuTYvcouC9gp-S2oG8tmzjr1AqCCiR7n4f

y4mHR2HeuzV3M1MBxYZCdo8rwt2SfRJl7kwQeU2q

y4m-vuJw4jpF4r2AgS2V0Yf-0fxEi8vlO4vuhrOH

I also scratch built a small local boat to add to the scene. A good friend in Riga sent me information about the local boats. It is sprit rigged and I have depicted it working as a long line fishing boat.

y4msGEK2hdKJcchYYpag3VA-FjU6eEiMXEQu8-h5

Thanks again for your support - this is a great community!

Maurice

Edited by mdesaxe
added link to WIP
  • Like 21

Great work. Hard to believe that this a paper model, opens-up a different avenue for subjects that are not available in plastic. I was a little concerned about the use of cocktail sticks for the wake pattern, thought it would look to stark but it looks nice a subtle and looks great.

Stuart

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hard to believe that this a paper model,

I have to agree with Stuart, it really does look very good, and your seascape is extremely convincing, lovely treatment of a very intriguing vessel !

Cheers

David 

Thank you to everyone for your support.

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

I was a little concerned about the use of cocktail sticks for the wake pattern, thought it would look to stark but it looks nice a subtle and looks great.

I have found that using the double sided tape on the base (the black foamcore) is important. If it is applied to the underside of the paper it creates ridges whereas if done the way I showed it creates smooth transitions. Also, I use a variety of materials depending upon how high i want the wave crests to be. I make tests after cutting out the recess for the hull by setting the model in it and trying out different 'risers' until I achieve the effect I find most realistic and only then start attaching them to the underside of the paper.

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

opens-up a different avenue for subjects that are not available in plastic.

I might point out another advantage I find with paper models. Since the kits start out as flat sheets of paper they essentially are scalable, meaning that one can change the scale of the kit to the scale one prefers either by modifying the file (depending upon what type it is) or by printing it out at a different percentage size. For example, printing a pdf file of a 1:200-scale paper model at 80% will produce a paper model kit at 1:250 scale. I like to build my models to a uniform scale so that I can compare them one with another, so, for my next project, I am going to do exactly this to create the Royal Prussian Navy's ironclad Prinz Adalbert of 1865.

Again, thank you all again for your interest and support.

Maurice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...