1968 Plymouth Roadrunner

Plumbum

I started this a few months back and only have the engine done. It is the 1/25

AMT kit for a 1968 Plymouth, Belvedere body style which I am using for a 1968

Roadrunner. The only thing missing is the Roadrunner decals which I have in my

spares decals collection. I am using the kit's 426 hemi but have a more "politically

correct" air cleaner from another '68 Mopar kit. I am going to paint it avacado green

with a black area on the hood's raised area. Here is what I have so far.---John

s1yzW03.jpg

KfKtDNs.jpg

wwoWsTx.jpg

VpAznBA.jpg

I hope to best this one I did in 2009. I never liked the way the underside was painted,

not enough detail painting on the chassis. I never owned a '68 Roadrunner but I did

own a '73 brand new off the show room floor. I used the new MPC '74 kit to do it last

year. The kit is rather rude but I worked through it to do my '73 RR gold with white stripes

and a 360 cu. in. under the hood.---John

bsQKENy.jpg

Bvr3xED.jpg

p1baDrg.jpg

mxmtNi7.jpg

7B2rvrG.jpg

LKQGrsL.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, the body and chassis parts have been sprayed the appropriate green color.

The body will need a gloss cote. The color is not as dark as the picture.---John

zmZR2oA.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, and yes I am going to detail the front grill with the appropriate black areas

The masks are off the chassis and I can now detail paint it.---John

Tw5kXgf.jpg

• Like 3

Hate to be "that guy", but these cars didn't have a separate chassis, so the box sections should be the same colour as the rest.   At the factory, the underside was primed, but the only body colour would be overspray from the sills and wheel wells inwards.   The only separate parts would be the K member at the front and the trans mount, both satin black.

Restored B body to illustrate:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/dscn0865-640x480-jpg.403370/

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1

Are we talking B bodies from the sixties or uni-boby from the seventies? My '73 had no frame

as it was uni-body, it got in an accident and was totaled because of that. Please check your references.

You are right in that Chrysler started in the 60s with unibody but they had frame connectors welded

to the stamped underside. Some adjustments made......but not all is body color or black....I  went by

my "original" images and not a restoration....never trust museum images.---John

Hi,

I may be misunderstanding the terminology, and it isn’t really a big deal as it’s your model and you can have it however you like, especially if you’re working from reference pictures. But I have to agree with Six97s on the underbody frame arrangement, Chrysler did use a stub frame system that was part of the floor of the car basically making it a “unibody” the side connectors that run lengthwise outboard along the sides of the floor were rocker panels that were formed from the floor into a complex triangle shape giving the unibody portion greater strength, as far as I know the convertible cars were the only ones I’ve ever seen with welded in frame connectors between the front and rear stub frames...again, I may be misunderstanding the terminology or the topic of the conversation completely...I am getting kinda old.

I built my 71 charger converted to a 74 (build thread here somewhere) using my own pictures taken during the rebuild, back in the 80’s. The front stub frames and K member are shown black because I spray painted them during the rebuild, they were originally A dusty gray color.

31 minutes ago, chrispisme said:

Hi,

I may be misunderstanding the terminology, and it isn’t really a big deal as it’s your model and you can have it however you like, especially if you’re working from reference pictures. But I have to agree with Six97s on the underbody frame arrangement, Chrysler did use a stub frame system that was part of the floor of the car basically making it a “unibody” the side connectors that run lengthwise outboard along the sides of the floor were rocker panels that were formed from the floor into a complex triangle shape giving the unibody portion greater strength, as far as I know the convertible cars were the only ones I’ve ever seen with welded in frame connectors between the front and rear stub frames...again, I may be misunderstanding the terminology or the topic of the conversation completely...I am getting kinda old.

I built my 71 charger converted to a 74 (build thread here somewhere) using my own pictures taken during the rebuild, back in the 80’s. The front stub frames and K member are shown black because I spray painted them during the rebuild, they were originally A dusty gray color.

Exactly.   The original finish on the underside was grey (usually) primer and they weren't fussed about applying body colour underneath, so it was limitied to overspray from around the edges.  @johnlambert 's recent '69 GTX thread shows this to good effect.  Most restored cars are fully covered with the top coat for better rust protection; the image I linked to was more to illustrate the unitised construction than anything.  The larger C bodies had a separate front subframe, but A, B and E bodies were all unibody/monocoque construction, so there's no reason to pick out the sub rails or box sections, but if it makes you happy, carry on :)  .

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073985-plymouth-gtx-hardtop-1969-amt-ertl-125/&do=findComment&comment=3795148

Edited by Six97s
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, I saw the GTX thread and can't figure why the lower arms were gold. All I

have seen are gloss black as a rule. I will disreguard AMTs "suggestion" of doing the sub frame

connectors black and do it all the body color.---John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...