Tamiya Mark Fit Strong - How to use

Fraz97

Hi all.

I am experimenting with Mark Fit Strong, but I can't seem to get the results that I was hoping for. The Decals don't really draw down into the panel lines or the detail. This is despite the fact that I am using 2 coats of gloss varnish on the model and there seems to be conflicting instructions on the internet on how to use them.

I am also worried that I may have contaminated the solution with water. I was using boiling water to try and fix some Zimmerit decals and while it was still wet I used Mark fit strong with it, I may have accidently mixed some of the Mark Fit Strong with some of the boiling water when the boiling water hadn't properly soaked into the decal. (Even though I used different brushes for each and never mixed the two brushes)

What is the correct way to use Mark Fit Strong and will water actually harm the decal solution if there is a little bit is accidently mixed in?

A little water mixed with it won't hurt, but a lot would weaken the solution and probably make it less effective in use. 

The way to use it is to apply your decal, then get it into the correct position on your model. Personally I allow the decal to dry slightly and press it into place to remove any excess water. Then I apply the Tamiya solution onto the entire decal and leave it to sit and do it's thing. You may need more than one application on difficult surfaces or stubborn decals, with drying in between. Don't try to touch the decal while the solution is doing it's thing as you may damage it. If the Tamiya stuff doesn't work, you could try Gunze Mr Mark Softer or Daco strong as an alternative. I've used both before with good results.

I haven't used the Tamiya one, but I'm wondering if the boiling water is your issue. I've never heard of using boiling water for decals - warm/hot water for thicker Tamiya ones, but not boiling. Perhaps the boiling water is completely destroying the adhesive on the back of your decals? 

The water isn't for "soaking through" the decals, it's to get them to release from the backing paper. After I remove the decal from the water bath I wick off as much water as I can, then once the decal is able to slide on the backing paper, it is ready to apply to the model. 

I suggest you try the instructions Tamiya has for their product:

≪How to use≫
1. Apply Mark Fit to the model where decal is applied.
2. Place decal on the model.
3. Position decal by an wetting finger.
4. Press decal down gently with a soft cloth or cotton swab until excess water is gone.
5. Apply Mark Fit over the decal, then press down gently with a soft cloth or cotton swab.
6. Allow the decal to completely dry.

I have it and I've used it several times. It works well with thin decals, but the it won't really touch the thicker ones. I use the Ammo stuff on those, it's a lot more potent. 

Personal method: place the decal onto the model, wipe off excess water, give it a minute (or more) so that the adhesive starts sticking to the surface and then gently dab the solution onto the decal. I sometimes use a soft brush to help the decal adjust to the shapes, but do that at your own risk! Thin decals can tear easily.

1 hour ago, Shin said:

I haven't used the Tamiya one, but I'm wondering if the boiling water is your issue. I've never heard of using boiling water for decals - warm/hot water for thicker Tamiya ones, but not boiling. Perhaps the boiling water is completely destroying the adhesive on the back of your decals? 

The water isn't for "soaking through" the decals, it's to get them to release from the backing paper. After I remove the decal from the water bath I wick off as much water as I can, then once the decal is able to slide on the backing paper, it is ready to apply to the model. 

I suggest you try the instructions Tamiya has for their product:

≪How to use≫
1. Apply Mark Fit to the model where decal is applied.
2. Place decal on the model.
3. Position decal by an wetting finger.
4. Press decal down gently with a soft cloth or cotton swab until excess water is gone.
5. Apply Mark Fit over the decal, then press down gently with a soft cloth or cotton swab.
6. Allow the decal to completely dry.

The boiling water was only for those zimmerit decals (which weren't good). I heard somewhere that boiling water would help but I don't it did.  Every other time I use decals I used just warm or lukewarm water, which is normal. Should have clarified that!

I still have mixed results with regular warm water and Mark Fit Strong. But I'll give those a try with those instructions. other people use different methods which makes it all the more confusing for me.

2 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

A little water mixed with it won't hurt, but a lot would weaken the solution and probably make it less effective in use. 

The way to use it is to apply your decal, then get it into the correct position on your model. Personally I allow the decal to dry slightly and press it into place to remove any excess water. Then I apply the Tamiya solution onto the entire decal and leave it to sit and do it's thing. You may need more than one application on difficult surfaces or stubborn decals, with drying in between. Don't try to touch the decal while the solution is doing it's thing as you may damage it. If the Tamiya stuff doesn't work, you could try Gunze Mr Mark Softer or Daco strong as an alternative. I've used both before with good results.

So you just left it after the solution was applied? You didn't press it with a cotton bud or cloth afterwards? Even though I think Tamiya says that you should do that?

Edited by Fraz97

2 hours ago, Fraz97 said:

I still have mixed results with regular warm water and Mark Fit Strong. But I'll give those a try with those instructions. other people use different methods which makes it all the more confusing for me.

Many other solutions are two part - a setting agent (Micro Set, Mr. Mark Setter) followed by a solution agent (Micro Sol, Mr. Mark Setter). You apply setting agent on the model, apply the decal on top, squeeze out excess liquid, then hit it with the solution - and don't touch it, let the magic work. These one part setting/solution products may have alternate application methods. 

Don't listen to other people yet as it doesn't sound like you've even tried it with Tamiya's own instructions for your product yet. 

Apply with spare decals on a test mule first if you aren't sure of the results. 

14 hours ago, Fraz97 said:

So you just left it after the solution was applied? You didn't press it with a cotton bud or cloth afterwards? Even though I think Tamiya says that you should do that?

You can press with a cloth or cotton bud if you wish, but in my case it wasn't necessary as the decals were not going onto such an irregular surface.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:50 PM, Shin said:

Don't listen to other people yet as it doesn't sound like you've even tried it with Tamiya's own instructions for your product yet. 

Apply with spare decals on a test mule first if you aren't sure of the results. 

OK so I got some test decals and tried it following Tamiya's instructions. I also thought it was worth experimenting with both a cotton bud and paper towel when it came to getting rid of the excess. This time I managed to get it to snug down into the detail. But for some reason I got a better result when pressing it down with the paper/kitchen towel than I did with the cotton bud. With the cotton bud it required more coats to get it to snug down, so I guess the secret is to use a paper towel when possible and only use cotton buds on certain surfaces and on smaller decals.