Help wanted on Buccaneer airbrake colours - S.1

Tony Whittingham

Hello all,

I’m planning a build of a Buccaneer S.1 in the early scheme, and can’t find a clear photo of the open airbrakes. Would these have been white on the inside, or some other light colour? Airfix recommends dark gull grey, but I think that might apply to the S.2 only.

Any thoughts from the Buccaneer experts?

TW

I would think that white would be correct, seeing as how the entire airframe was white externally on the early schemes.  Probably left in white when the external colour changed to grey and white.  That's my opinion only, and stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable individuals on the forum.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello all,

I’m planning a build of a Buccaneer S.1 in the early scheme, and can’t find a clear photo of the open airbrakes. Would these have been white on the inside, or some other light colour? Airfix recommends dark gull grey, but I think that might apply to the S.2 only.

Any thoughts from the Buccaneer experts?

TW

I am not an expert but I do have a few references on Buccs.  In Allward's book, on p52, there's a B&W pic of all white S1 and hte insides of the airbrakes are a very dark colour with large white numbers (I think the aircraft id code).   I would guess a dark grey in there.

David

They did vary a bit, but generally they were finished in an Admiralty Grey.

There were a couple of periods when different protective coatings were tried by the FAA and these gave a goldy green, and a dull red finish respectively in that area.

Thank you all for the input. Tracking down Light Admiralty Grey has yielded a Humbrol match of HU122, for those of you who might be interested. Have to hunt some down, Canadian supplies are shrinking fast!😕

cheers,

TW

• Like 1

This was a Vallejo colour

P1010788.jpg

Vallejo 70.973 Light Sea Grey on here but their 70.907 Pale Grey Blue is also very close. On this build I used both shades to give density in places around the engine bay and undercarriages on both S1s.

Excuse sadly bent pitot please, fixed now :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Thank you all for the input. Tracking down Light Admiralty Grey has yielded a Humbrol match of HU122, for those of you who might be interested. Have to hunt some down, Canadian supplies are shrinking fast!😕

cheers,

TW

Try Humbrol 87 steel gray very close to colour. 

• Like 1

When I was building my S.1, I found a few photos like this which showed a dark colour with white numbers:

XN934

It was explained to me that this was a result of an anti-corrosion coating which was a dark red-brown in colour. I interpreted it this way:

IMG_0754

This is the Scale Resin (CMR) resin kit of the S.1 in 1:72 scale. I've since fixed the position of the folded wings - they should be much closer together at the wingtip.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

13 hours ago, perdu said:

This was a Vallejo colour

P1010788.jpg

Vallejo 70.973 Light Sea Grey on here but their 70.907 Pale Grey Blue is also very close. On this build I used both shades to give density in places around the engine bay and undercarriages on both S1s.

Excuse sadly bent pitot please, fixed now :)

Very nice, this is the scheme I’m after.

• Thanks 1

Don't tell anyone but, after trying out a range of colours in the rough ballpark, I ended up using Xtracolor RLM 76 Hellgrau: had that hint of blue I was looking for.  Oh, just a minute, is that a lynch mob at the door?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Don't tell anyone but, after trying out a range of colours in the rough ballpark, I ended up using Xtracolor RLM 76 Hellgrau: had that hint of blue I was looking for.  Oh, just a minute, is that a lynch mob at the door?

Heretic!  😜

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

No Seahawk its OK

They're outside my place, got a barbecue going and no sign of social distancing at all.

They can stay out there, they ain't a coming in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1