Aoshima 1/24 MGB 1968

On 10/24/2020 at 3:01 AM, dbostream said:

This is the only GT I know of and it is not released yet as far as I know.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/153164-mgb-gt-from-c1-models/

I've contacted C1 Models with an inquiry about the GT but so far no response.

• Like 1

Theses are beautiful kits to build, that just fall together. I still have the rubber bumper version to build but did my chrome bumper in baby blue. I need to dig out some pics. Great build by the way and stunning paint job 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Theses are beautiful kits to build, that just fall together. I still have the rubber bumper version to build but did my chrome bumper in baby blue. I need to dig out some pics. Great build by the way and stunning paint job 👍

That's useful to know.  I quite fancy one of these although I'd prefer a kit that makes the post-1969 chrome-bumper B with the matt black grille.  I suppose I could try and make a new grille.

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

That's useful to know.  I quite fancy one of these although I'd prefer a kit that makes the post-1969 chrome-bumper B with the matt black grille.  I suppose I could try and make a new grille.

For that guppy grille you could just omit the part and add a chrome line round the opening and a bit of scribed styrene way back for the grill.  Or for the more attractive late version just cut the vertical slats out of the kit part and put diagonal mesh behind.

• Thanks 1

Great pair of Bs, and nice to see one built with the polyurethane bumpers too.  Your respective colour choices suit each one very well 😎

On 27/10/2020 at 16:12, johnlambert said:

On 27/10/2020 at 19:44, malpaso said:

For that guppy grille you could just omit the part and add a chrome line round the opening and a bit of scribed styrene way back for the grill.  Or for the more attractive late version just cut the vertical slats out of the kit part and put diagonal mesh behind.

The grille mentioned above was the first main visual change to the B, but I gather wasn't popular at the time, so was soon replaced by one which used the surround from the full chrome grille, but replaced the slats with black honeycimb mesh.   Soon after that, came the polyurethane bumpers.  The latter grille would be much easier to make, and also I reckon it suits the Rostyle wheels better when used with the chrome bumpers than the full chrome grille.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

The grille mentioned above was the first main visual change to the B, but I gather wasn't popular at the time, so was soon replaced by one which used the surround from the full chrome grille, but replaced the slats with black honeycimb mesh.   Soon after that, came the polyurethane bumpers.  The latter grille would be much easier to make, and also I reckon it suits the Rostyle wheels better when used with the chrome bumpers than the full chrome grille.

It's the grille with the chrome surround and black mesh that I'd want, plus Rostyle wheels, sounds like it should be easy enough to do if I ever take the plunge.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 13:11, johnlambert said:

I like the models offered by SE Finecast but the business model is inconvenient enough to be quite off-putting. 

They also weigh a tonne, I built a  B GT V8 for someone and the entire kit barring the tyres and axles is white metal.

The amount of soldering, filling and sanding beggared belief and the finished model was so heavy, it was cheaper and safer to drive 50 miles to hand deliver it :)

To the op, lovely models, soft top, chrome bumpers in red for me please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, Madmonk said:

The earlier version of the MBG from Aoshima, very nice kerbside kit with plenty of detail.

Painted with Zero Paints Signal Red.   Body stripe and windshield done using Chrome metal foil.

IVRTyEG.jpg

7t6BknB.jpg

tOrfMfP.jpg

And with the late version.

RcHQrUN.jpg

Thanks for looking

Warren

Hi Warren 

I hope that you don't mind me contacting you?

Before I start I have to say your MG's are absolutely stunning, first class, masterclass 👍👍👍👌

I have just posted pics of my MG TC Midget, one day I'm hoping they will look like yours, absolutely perfect.

I would love to ask you a few questions if that's ok?

Thank you 

Si

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 21:29, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Warren 

I hope that you don't mind me contacting you?

Before I start I have to say your MG's are absolutely stunning, first class, masterclass 👍👍👍👌

I have just posted pics of my MG TC Midget, one day I'm hoping they will look like yours, absolutely perfect.

I would love to ask you a few questions if that's ok?

Thank you 

Si

Hi Si, sorry not looked on the site for a while, thanks for the comments, more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

The TC looks great by the way.

Cheers,

Warren

On 1/2/2021 at 10:19 PM, Madmonk said:

Hi Si, sorry not looked on the site for a while, thanks for the comments, more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

The TC looks great by the way.

Cheers,

Warren

That's OK Warren, I really appreciate you coming back to me. I find one minute Im on the site all the time then its off a few weeks for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment on the TC.  I am pleased with the overall model but disappointed with the finish.  Having seen yours though which I have to say are absolute perfection (the paint job is the best Ive seen). I was hoping you may be able to tell me how you do it? Mine had the orange peel affect. Yours are so smooth and of a high gloss, like a factory fresh or a rebuilt concourse condition car.

I have done some research online and have a few things in mind for the next one, though it frazzles your head after a while.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care and safe

Si

No problem Si.

I use an airbrush which really helps with the finish as you can control the paint flow better than a rattle can.  Saying that I do use rattle can primer!

My method is 3 coats of primer, sanding between coats with 2000 grit wet and dry.

That is followed by 4 coats of Zero colour-match paint, available from Hiroboy (they have over 800 matched colours 😱) you need a good primer base as the Zero paint can be quite aggressive to bare plastic.

Again a quick sanding between coats but not after the final coat.

The Zero paint dries matt so needs a clear gloss coat and I use Alclad Aquagloss, personally I find it gives a better scale gloss finish than 2 pack gloss, I usually apply 3 thin coats.

Once it has dried hard, couple of days, I then polish the body shell with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

And its as simple as that!!

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madmonk said:

No problem Si.

I use an airbrush which really helps with the finish as you can control the paint flow better than a rattle can.  Saying that I do use rattle can primer!

My method is 3 coats of primer, sanding between coats with 2000 grit wet and dry.

That is followed by 4 coats of Zero colour-match paint, available from Hiroboy (they have over 800 matched colours 😱) you need a good primer base as the Zero paint can be quite aggressive to bare plastic.

Again a quick sanding between coats but not after the final coat.

The Zero paint dries matt so needs a clear gloss coat and I use Alclad Aquagloss, personally I find it gives a better scale gloss finish than 2 pack gloss, I usually apply 3 thin coats.

Once it has dried hard, couple of days, I then polish the body shell with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren thanks for this, much appreciated.

I have some wet and dry on order between 1500 & 7000 grit👍. I use Halfords Grey Primer and I have one of their colours which Im going to decant so as to airbrush.  Thanks to some of the guys on this forum I can now decant, indoors without an extractor or window open, no smell at all (though I will do anyway)👌. Will also order some of the Autoglym.

Thanks again for this info, much appreciated and I will let you know how it goes

Take care

Si 

• Like 1

Beautiful finish, reminds me of my red V8 roadster, which was also red with black interior, that I had some years back ! I used to polish that with Autoglym too!  Happy days 😀

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Madmonk said:

Cheers,

Warren

Beautiful finish, and your so right about the clear and scale finish, there seems to be a fad about using 2k clear on cars and getting that toffee apple finish, which just doesn't look right to my eye

• Like 1