IPad 2nd gen and viewing pictures on the site

I have an iPad 2nd gen which only allows iOS up to 9.3.5 ( I think the most recent is around 14).  I used to have no trouble viewing pictures, but now I can’t see anything, no grey squares, nothing.  Has there been a software update for the site that has made my iPad obselete, or is it something else I’m doing wrong?

Incidentally I’m typing this on my iPhone as the site won’t let me type in the comments box of a post on my iPad.

Thanks for any help!

Unfortunately, yes. I'm in the same predicament as you in that not only do the photos not show, I can't respond to any posts (I'm typing this on my old iMac), the Load More Content button has disappeared and several other features have stopped working. It's basically unusable on my iPad.

Unless the forum software devs come up with a fix, we're both stuffed, I'm afraid. My iPad is my main browsing tool, as my computer is in my studio and it kinda sucks to  be forced to view BM on my phone, as I'm a full-sized human, not a gnome!

Progress, eh?

Mark.

• Thanks 1

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

According to this page - the Ipad 2 is now classified as vintage/obsolete worldwide and as such would receive no further updates (apart from security updates).

Sadly, software developers have to draw a line and decide when to stop supporting older  pieces of hardware/software - as harsh as it may seem. Whilst the hardware may still seem functional for what you need it for, in the more demanding media related web browsers, apps, etc, they just don't "cut the mustard".  This will be partly why Apple decided not to allow further upgrades of its' OS to the device (but also to force you to buy a new device!!!!)

It's the same with software. Developers just cant keep supporting older and older versions of their software! Take BM for example, and the recent update. In order for our lords and master overlords to keep receiving tech support, they had to update. If something drastic went wrong, and they had not updated, NO FIX! Updates mean ongoing support and maintenance. That's the way these things go I'm afraid.  And before I get the lynch mob of pitchforks etc. I'm just a tech geek who has a fair knowledge of these things and keeps himself fairly informed, and updated with his tech. 

Regards JB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to @treker_ed for that excellent explanation.  Sadly, he's right and if you're lucky enough to have a device that lasts longer than everyone else's, you might also find yourself out on a limb, whether it's an iPad, iPhone, Android or anything else.  To be fair, Apple do support their devices for quite a lot longer than some - Google for example dropped support for one of my old tablets within 3-4 years, rendering it useless.  We're all subject to this combination of planned obsolescence and the commercial pressures of a dwindling user base of those aging devices.  It's just not commercially viable to continue support once the world has moved on 5+ years later, and doing so could even hold back functionality of the new devices etc.

I don't know whether you still have access to the Appstore (I know Google pulled that on my old tablet), but if you do and you're still using Safari (the default browser on anything Apple), you could try downloading Firefox or Chrome.  I know Firefox is very good at supporting older gear, so give it a go.  Older versions of iOS won't let you set the default browser, so you'd have to open up FF directly yourself, but if it's a difference between using BM and not, I know which I'd choose :)

Incidentally, if you're interesting in upgrading, a new iPad has been out for a little while, and they're not too expensive.  Or you could go mental and blow your inheritance on a shiny new iPad Pro 12.9" :tasty:

One last thing.  Try rebooting your device, and your router.  It's justy occurred to me that you might still be using old cached photo data that's no longer there.  Worth a go, and it only takes a minute :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm another iPad Gen 2 user who has struggled since the last update. I've tried downloading both Firefox & Chrome from the AppStore but neither are compatible with my ancient device.

Looks like I know what to put on my Christmas list!

Edge

• Thanks 1