Hasegawa Ju 88G-1 1/72 armament

dalea

Difficult to comment without seeing a pic, or a link to the box art, but these were typically mounted in the rear fuselage.  I doubt if there would be enough room in the nose anyway, especially with the FuG220 mountings in there as well.  Either way, I'm not sure the G-1 had a shrage-musik installallation, just the cannon pod under the fuselage.  Someone with more knowledge will be able to comment further..

5 hours ago, Werdna said:

Just to add - I've now found a copy of what I assume is the box art in question here:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-02358-junkers-ju88g-1-njg2--1313169

Never seen any pics of this configuration before - unless anyone else has?

That is pure, unadulterated bovine squat!

Chris

I  was able to find some information on the Ju-88G-1 being released by Hasegawa. In the Classic Publications Luftwaffe Colors series, Nachtjager, Volume Two. on page 145, there are two photos of 4R+AK from 2/NJG2, flown by Johannes Strassner. According to the text that accompanied two photos of the airplane, in the summer of 1944, it was the only  Ju-88G-1 fitted  with an experimental obliquely mounted MG151 that had a flash suppressor mounted. It was not known how the installation fared in combat, nor how well the flash suppressor worked to prevent blinding the pilot when it was fired. In the photos, the MG151 installation looked just like the box art on the Hasegawa kit. I couldn't find any mention nor photos of this Ju-88 in any of my Ju-88 references, and I've got several. Best I can do from my library.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me a little bit of a refuelling probe. Never seen anything like it but not really surprised. The nazis tried and tested a lot of things to try to win the war. At this point in time i see no reason to obtain any more of the Hasegawa "Limited Edition" kits just because they have included a metal cannon or the odd resin bits. It has become a farce all this milking the cashcow from Hasegawa but no doubt this kit will be hard to find soon. I want to see a newly tooled kit, not the same stuff over and over again... 

If you really want to make a regular Ju-88G-1 other than a wild experimental Ju-88G-1, get the Hasegawa Ju-88G-6 kit.  It has everything you need to make a G-1, and a little searching can come up with the instructions for how to make the radial engine pods and the other wing mounted radar antennas.  Having been stationed at RAF Woodbridge I will definitely be building mine as the one that landed at Woodbridge.

Later,

Dave

@dalea

If you intend to build the G-1 you described, you wouldn't need to spend the ridiculous amount Herr Hasegawa always asks for his limited issue kits. Just get a plain Hasegawa G-1 or one from another kit maker, get an aftermarket MG-151 with flash suppressor, or make one, which would be very easy, and then get the codes from a generic decal sheet and Bob's your Uncle, or Sheila's your Aunt, seeing as how you come from Oz! :giggle: Good luck- that would make for a very interesting model!

Mike

IIRC, Hasegawa, AMT, and Zvezda all did Ju-88G-1 kits in 1/72 scale; I would imagine the Zvezda kit would be the best alternative to a Hasegawa kit.

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@dalea

IIRC, Hasegawa, AMT, and Zvezda all did Ju-88G-1 kits in 1/72 scale; I would imagine the Zvezda kit would be the best alternative to a Hasegawa kit.

The AMT kit does not have the various wing mounted antennas that Hasegawa provides.  I bought one second hand from Rebell Hobby in Stockholm thinking of using it for the Woodbridge bird.  IIRC the Hasegawa Ju 188 kit does have the antennas required so I could always mount those on the AMT kit.  Plus it has the instructions for building the BMW engines needed for a G-1!

Later,

Dave