Gunze Sangyo 1/350 RMS Lusitania

ChrisSC

I had originally planned to cut my own wood decks for this model and then became aware of a manufacturer who was planning to release a set of wood decks for this kit. After cutting a few I decided to abandon cutting them myself and put Lusitania on hold until the decks were released. While waiting I did do as much painting as I could that wouldn't be affected by not having the decks. I also built a few 1/600 ships during my wait. Last week the decks arrived and I have now returned to building this model. I really like the kit...and the actual ship. She was hard to find and my being in the US and having to have her shipped to me from Australia was a bit of an expense.

The decks I just received are designed to tuck under bulkheads and such, they are not cut around objects on the decks. This does not work well with this model as the fitment of parts is very height sensitive. Even these very thin veneer decks will add enough height to throw off fitment. The deck also will not fit in the slot of the promenade walls with the wood decking glued on requiring me to cut them back from the edges. This is only an issue on the lower decks which thankfully will not be visible to the extent that you would notice upon completion of the model. This height issue does not come into play on the top decks which are visible so they can be installed as designed, tucked under.

It would have been a very big challenge for me to cut the uppermost deck myself as it is very complex, so I am truly thankful this deck set became available. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

4-Railing-Removal.jpg

6-Railing-Removal.jpg

7-Bow-Railing-Removal.jpg

8-Plastic-Railings-Removed.jpg

13-Primed.jpg

16-Template.jpg

17-Template.jpg

18-Template.jpg

21-Template.jpg

22-Template.jpg

23-Deck-Cut.jpg

24-Deck-Cut.jpg

26-Deck-Cutting.jpg

27-Deck-Cutting.jpg

28-Color.jpg

30-Decals.jpg

31-Decals.jpg

35-Paint.jpg

36-Airbrushing.jpg

37-Taping.jpg

38-Taping.jpg

39-Skylight.jpg

42-Frames.jpg

43-Frames.jpg

40-Frames.jpg

44-Skylights.jpg

45-Skylights.jpg

48-Paint.jpg

49-Paint.jpg

51-Stand.jpg

55_Paint.jpg

56_Crane_Bases_Painted.jpg

57_Windows.jpg

58_Funnels.jpg

59_Lifeboats.jpg

63_Scaledecks.jpg

64_Scaledecks.jpg

65_Decks.jpg

68_Decks.jpg

67_Decks.jpg

69_More_Decks.jpg

70_More_Decks.jpg

• Like 16

Exactly.

As I'm planning to convert the Airfix Mauretania in to the Lusitania I have to follow this. Not only that. Looking at the pictures I think I found a solution to a problem I have on another kit. Thank you for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrantGoodale said:

I have the Entex boxing of that kit. Unfortunately, there were no instructions with it.

Is there any way I could get a copy of the instructions? I will gladly pay all reasonable expenses.

I'm new to the site and am not sure if there is a rule against posting them but I would be more than happy to scan my instructions in and send them to you. Can you add attachments to a private message? Let me know how to go about it and I'll get them to you somehow through the internet.

I sent you a private message.

Edited by ChrisSC
Added a message to a member
  • Like 1

I'm in favor of all the liners I can get as they are my favorite subject. If I run out of ocean liners the other vessels I'm a fan of are battleships....but they are a second choice!

I fitted and glued down some more wood decking on my 1/350 Lusitania today.

71_Gluing_Decks.jpg

73_Decks.jpg

74_Decks.jpg

75_Decks.jpg

76_Decks.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/23/2020 at 7:06 AM, ChrisSC said:

If I run out of ocean liners the other vessels I'm a fan of are battleships....but they are a second choice!

Gidday Chris, how can battleships be a second choice for ANYTHING, except maybe battle-cruisers. Oh well, there's no accounting for people's tastes! 😁 

Seriously, that wood decking you've applied looks really good, and should enhance the model's appearance considerably. The ship certainly had graceful lines. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Yep Jeff I'm a liner fan but do appreciate a battleship too. Some progress on my Lusitania. That big deck is giving me lots of trouble to install as the hull is a bit warped. Just making things worse trying to fix it after it's glued. Best to just leave it be.

77_Assembly.jpg

78_Assembly.jpg

79_Assembly.jpg

80_Assembly.jpg

• Like 7

Meticulous work so far, the decks look excellent and worth the effort. 

Ocean liners and battleships certainly - [don't say it...don't say it...] - float my boat too! 

[doh!] 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Just went to Scaledecks (Amazon) last night and bought a deck set. The photo's on the site look amazingly familiar 🤔😆

Thanks Alan P, I agree on the liners and battleships!

Yes europapete I got the first deck. I was waiting since May. He sent it to me at no charge if I would send some photos of the model being built for his website. Certainly a fair exchange!!

Lusitania Funnels are up and rigged. The ventilator covers are also installed. The funnel caps are not glued yet, just stuck on there crooked. Two of the ventilator covers had to be skewed as the rigging was hitting them. The funnels also wouldn't sit straight on their platforms, they rocked side to side so I used a slower setting epoxy to give me some time to get them to sit straight. The covers were tedious and so was threading the funnel cables but I'm glad I now have at least some of those lines out of my way. It was becoming a tangled mess with EZ Line laying everywhere. That's it for today!!

91_Funnels.jpg

92_Funnels.jpg

93_Funnels.jpg

94_Funnels.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, europapete said:

Coming along nicely there Chris. Yep, certainly was a fair exchange! Any idea how many were made on the first batch? it said there were only 3 left when I placed the order, so that's 2 now. 

Thanks europapete. The last time I looked on Ebay there was one left and the listing said 8 sold. I think he sells on Amazon too. I am guessing but it looks like he made around 10. I'm sure he'll make more if they are selling. I had quite a few people ask me where I got them on other forums so probably when the word gets out that they are being made I suspect that might spur some people that have the kit sitting to start a build.

Thanks Bengalensis. 

These precut railings are really giving me a hard time on this model. In hindsight I think I would have been better off using generic railings and cutting them myself as I usually do instead of trying to make all these fit.

The wood decks and some warped parts aren't helping the fit either. The front wheelhouse was the worst so far. Not my best job of getting this one together. You only get one of each so if you mess it up you have to live with it. I'm gonna live with it lol!

95_Railings.jpg

96_Railings.jpg

97_Railings.jpg

98_Railings.jpg

99_Gold_Medal_Fit.jpg

• Like 1