My Build (a working title)

Hello everyone... well now that Ive concluded builds 29-33 I can start #34. I did a bit of digging and my kit was first released by AHM in 1974. By the way this will be my first piece of small scale armor since the mid 80’s when I did sone 1/72 and 1/87 scale pieces ? d7cIiEg.jpg
And according to scalemates that was an Hasegawa clone. If anyone has built that Hasegawa kit you can tell me if these are anywhere close to accurate ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ahm-550-panther-g--1015558

Here are the obligatory sprue shots. 4eiAmFu.jpg

sPsgCY7.jpg

Now my initial thoughts were to go with a Skorzeny M10 clone, however maybe I might just go with a standard panther ? Any thoughts on which way I should go. If standard what scheme ? I think the box top shows Italy, at least that looks like a colosseum behind the tank ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone... Well I will be 100% honest here. I don't believe with this kit and my skills I can produce an exact replica. That being said I will get it as close to the real article as is possible. Now since I don't have 4mm thick plastic for the glacis addition i boxed it in. XF8w6bA.jpg
I then scribed the bow gun trap door. 

UUMei3V.jpg

dOnK0in.jpg

s1Tt5BP.jpg

Once that was done I went to work on the turret, rear plate, and side skirts. qptNi5q.jpg

I have the 8 bolts for the turret armor set aside. They will be added just before paint to prevent there loss. 

ULFBpMz.jpg

The two side skirts are only taped on i will add them once the build is painted and the tracks are installed. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Hi Dennis.

I thought I'd seen a illustration in a magazine somewhere, and eventually found it. 

It's from Panzer German WW2 Designs by Claes Sundin, and is based on a actual vehicle knocked out in Malmedy on 21 Dec 44

EBlwggj.jpg

gW159en.jpg

0jEvw1e.jpg

9Fgdlxk.jpg

WDz8lIl.jpg

I noticed that you seem to have boxed in more at the front and have sloping side skirts compared to this sketch.

I'm no expert, so please dont shoot me

Hope it's useful.

Paul

• Like 6

Thanks for the info, the skirts are still a work in progress so not done. I also still need to modify the rear box around the exhaust so the pipes can be fitted. Im going to try and get as close to the real thing but will need to cut corners like I did with the lower rear of the turret. I just couldn't figure out how to get the angled pieces to mount with the actual turret underneath. I kind of wish I had individual track links as the rubber bands in the kit don't allow for spare links on the hull/turret. 

• Like 1

have you googled Malmedy tank, there seems to be quite a few shots that may be useful

As for the turret, I think if you had a bottom/centre frame you would be able to have a 45 degree bend in the bottom frame to give the clearance required for the rear deck intakes/exhausts, with that triangular in fill piece.

I think that the turret rear top section was not boxed in to allow access to hatches.

Looking Forward to seeing the end result.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diases said:

have you googled Malmedy tank, there seems to be quite a few shots that may be useful

As for the turret, I think if you had a bottom/centre frame you would be able to have a 45 degree bend in the bottom frame to give the clearance required for the rear deck intakes/exhausts, with that triangular in fill piece.

I think that the turret rear top section was not boxed in to allow access to hatches.

Looking Forward to seeing the end result.

Paul

Thanks Paul... I will have to Google that for more info. The turret actually rotates as it is now and is off the model while I work on something else. Ive adjusted the side skirts to be a straighter fit. Boxed in the rear to get the correct angles, and added brass tubing for exhausts. I will post new photo’s in a little while when I get home. Currently Im out running errands with the better half. 

Good evening everybody... Well As stated above I have tried to get the side skirts straighter and flatter. Truthfully that is not easy to do. But here is where I am for now. 
ynuybnO.jpg

You can see that the turret spins and is unobstructed. You can also see the brass exhausts that have been added. 

fZ73HCG.jpg

eGMWyTW.jpg

ceeGJz9.jpg

J3N9O1Z.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Morning everyone... Well I did a little more on this tonight. I started the mantlet it still needs filler,

yGZdP6H.jpg

added the commanders hatch as well. Va4FrVB.jpg
Try as I do I just cannot get the skirts any better than this, this is my third and final attempt.

Ro9tgDc.jpg

Rq6S9sJ.jpg

5TB72DN.jpg

Next step will be to fill and sand the nooks and gaps and then we’re onto paint. Ive already painted the running gear on these. I think I'm right in saying these Panther’s had the rubber road wheels ? If anyone knows better please speak up before i glue all the road wheels on in a few days. Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. And again if Im wrong on the rubber road wheels please speak up. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Cool progress - I'm in awe of anyone that attempts to scratch build anything as it's a skill set I totally dont have.

To answer your question - yes they had rubber road wheels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning everyone... I was finally able to do some painting tonight. I got a very nice coat of Olive on this. sVH76TI.jpg

qzGJINw.jpg

UYCLDY9.jpg

yb3mFrO.jpg

Next up is to add the running gear and see how that looks. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Hello everyone... Well Im slowly getting this one closer. I did the running gear on this tonight, not the best design Ive ever seen on a tank, some of them were practically butt joints. W9BRvT4.jpg

DPeS2TJ.jpg
Next up to paint and glue the tracks, then mount them. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Morning everybody... Im finally able to get back to this after clearing a couple of other builds off my desk. I was able to get the tracks mounted tonight. Next up skirts and stars. OVBGCUE.jpg

4kwmVQP.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

How's it going Dennis, are you using decals for the stars or masks with a bit of overspray like the real thing?

Impressive conversion either way.

Thank you for the compliment, so far its going ok. I just wish this was larger as It would be easier to find decals. Im stuck on  the stars right now, my couple of attempts at making anything that fits is garbage. Ive only got two decals without the circle surround that would even come close to fitting. So Im trying to figure out that mess ? Then add to the fact Im not sure if I should paint the tracks, or just covering them with a thin layer of mud/muck like I was originally planning ? 

Dennis