New California Member

lksavidge

Greetings to everyone! Thank you for allowing me to join your terrific group of model enthusiasts. 

I started building plastic models before my teen years, inspired my models that my father had built. Once entered adulthood and had a family, I was able to occasionally build a model but as time went on, my model building days faded. I just picked it back up this last spring, and with the pandemic, it couldn't have been a better time. However, when I got back into it, boy was I surprised at the cost of today's kits. For some context, I am now 58 years old. It kind of made me sad knowing that kids today can not afford some of the quality models that are now being produced. 

I served 30 years in the USAF and retired in 2010. Now I'm doing other work related to what I was doing while I was in the AF. But as for models, my first goal is building replicas of all of the aircraft that flew from the bases that I served (US, Europe and Asia). One of my first models that I built was a 1/144 Vietnam era B-52D, just like the aircraft that I supported at March AFB in CA from 1980-1983 that were on nuclear alert. So history will live on in my home, then I will start my WWII era aircraft. I'll also be building military vehicles that I operated or was deployed with me during my deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan (HMMV, M1A2, Stryker).

I'm looking forward to learning new skills, tips and tricks from all of you and seeing your great work!

Cheers!

Larry

• Like 3

Hi, Larry. 

A very warm welcome to BM, my friend.  I hope you have a very enjoyable time here. It's a great place to hang out and can be very informative, too.

Thirty years in the USAF? I bet you have a lot of very good stories from your service. Which bases did you serve at? Did you spend any time in the UK?

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Larry.

Greetings and Welcome from South West England.

This is a brilliant forum, with excellent members, who seem to have knowledge about EVERTHING. So ask away.

You are so right about the cost of kits now, when I were a lad, I used to buy Airfix kits in a plastic bag, for what was then 2 shillings and 6 pence.  But the quality, on the whole, is vastly improved.

Jon.

Thank you all for the kind welcome! 🙂

To answer Spruecutter96's question, I was never stationed in the UK, however, I did some temporary duty at Upper Heyford and Lakenheath during the mid-80s. I started my career at March AFB, in CA (B-52D's and KC's), then went to Spangdahlem AB, Germany (F-4E/G's and F-16's), next door to Bitburg (F-15C's). Then went to Aviano AB, Italy, more F-16s and then returned back to CA to Vandenberg, no planes, just rockets and missiles. Then stationed at Travis AFB, CA (C-17's, C-5's and KC-10's). After that, stationed at Kadena AB, Japan (F-15C's, MC-130's, HH-60's, KC's, AWACS, and RC-135's). Final assignment was Charleston AFB in SC (more C-17's). 

For Abandoned Project, I tried to upload the B-52 from Flickr account with no luck. Guess, I still have a lot to learn. Tried using the FAQ too, the link still wouldn't work. 

Thanks again everyone, your hospitality is greatly appreciated. 

I just posted an image from my wife's Flickr account. It's the Milky Way over the Stonehenge Memorial in Maryhill, WA. The lighting was a serendipitous bonus by way of local astrophotographers who placed small colored lights behind the plinths for effect.

View the image in your browser, click on the "share" arrow in the lower right. As you can see, "BBCode" is selected along with the fesired size, medium in this case.

Flickr-share.png

Copy the full URL and paste into the reply window. Et voilà!

47361140941_7ecfdec63b_c.jpgDSC_0881-2 by Alicja Lombard, on Flickr

You could also just post the image URL, which starts with "https:" and ends with ".jpg". Your browser will be able to display that URL directly.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 1

Thank you. It has it's blemishes. It was my first model using acrylics. When I was modeling 40 years ago, it was all enamels and acrylics were starting to be introduced. So, I'm still trying to figure out how to airbrush them without the orange peel or sandpaper look. Been trying to figure out the balance between thinning, air pressure and distance from model. Perhaps an art, not a science? So many different methods using different paints, thinners, retarders, etc. But I'll figure it out. Hey, that's why I'm here! To see how you guys and gals are doing it.

RFIs? I'm such a rookie! ☺️

I just started using an airbrush and I'm using acrylics, Tamiya and Gunze-Sangyo to be specific. I have thinned them with their proprietary thinners ( Tamiya X20A/ Mr. Color Leveling ) and at about 12-15 psi. Results have been pretty good, I must say. I've also put a few drops of Tamiya Retarder in that mix. I have not once had any tip drying or splatter from my Badger 150 IL.

Chris

Nice Buff!  That looks like a first-rate finish to me!  Welcome on board, and hope you enjoy your stay.  30 years in the AF.  Shall we address you as "Chief?"

California, eh?  Our family used to live in Monterrey when I was a wee-un. I remember attempting to build an Airfix JU-88 that I purchased at the Ft Ord PX, and the results were nowhere near as good as the artwork on the cover.