A 'Red Ripper' - 1/48 F-4B Phantom (Academy)

My first Academy 1/48th F-4B Phantom, I started this kit three years ago however she went on the shelf of suspended doom when I started to get frustrated with airbrushing with acrylic paints. I re-started her a few weeks ago, to be quite honest it was a 'just get it finished' job and it remained that way until I started to apply the decals. Somehow the ugly duckling turned into a swan, or at least something approaching that. This is the end result:

50502467353_36fb966898_o.jpg20201018_124319 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

This was my first build of the Academy Phantom. I am used to the ESCI/Italeri and Revell/Monogram kits, have also put together a couple of Hasegawa kits over the years, and I was impressed with the Academy offering. I liked the one piece upper body section, the separate rear section, the way the kit went together, and the wide variety of missiles included in the box. Very little filling or sanding was required. Definitely a thumbs up! I do have a couple of the Eduard boxings in the stash and I would love to start one soon to see what difference the additional goodies make 🙂

50502467253_f69a9babce_o.jpg20201018_124333 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

This next photo does show one major problem. I built and painted the rear section aft of the jet exhausts complete with the tail planes/elevators, dry fitted it and all was fine, however it sort of went wrong when I cemented the section on. Not too sure what went wrong! The other side was fine so no harm done I guess.

50503340052_687a1747f2_o.jpg20201018_124354 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I prepared all the spues with Halfords primer, grey on top and white underside, then rattle-canned Halfords appliance white to the under surfaces as well as the top of the ailerons and the rudder. This went on well. I then applied light gull grey top sides using an acrylic paint 'configured for the air brush' and it was a disaster! The airbrush sprayed for about five seconds, clogged up, then spattered thick drops all over the fuselage and wings. Trust me, it was a very sudden and short journey to the shelf of doom. 😞  It took me a long time to learn how to apply acrylic paint with the airbrush and several coats of light gull grey managed to hide the appalling first coat. The metallic areas were painted using Humbrol metal-cotes which I always find to be reliable.

50502466173_538eec3b82_o.jpg20201018_124427 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

This build was saved by the decals which represent F-4B BuNo 152965 as 'AA-100' operated by VF-11 'Red Rippers' off the USS Forrestal in 1973. These were from the Furball Decals F-4B/N Phantom II Air Wing All Stars Part II set (now OOP). Stencils and standard markings were from the Academy kit. The Furball decals went on really well indeed. Unfortunately I broke one of the red stripes that should have met behind the cockpit canopy so they had to be truncated.

50503185806_d3c8def112_o.jpg20201018_124457 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

One thing I did do reasonably well was the weapons load. I added four AIM-7 Sparrows in the wells under the fuselage, four AIM-9 Sidewinders on the pylons, and three bombs (I can't remember which ones they were) on a TER on each pylon. The kit yellow stripe decals for the bombs refused to settle down so I left them off. I also added three 'gas bags' or fuel tanks. The Academy instructions suggest that this was a valid loadout for a mission but to be honest I am not sure about that.

50502467043_565e943cdd_o.jpg20201018_124514 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

My last photo, which has to be the colourful markings on the tail section of this showy Phantom, so well depicted by the excellent Furball decals. I am glad I decided to persevere with this stalled build, the end result isn't anywhere near perfect but it came out a lot better than I expected and I am happy with that. When can I start the next one? 😉  Michael

50502466908_ba608a3f0f_o.jpg20201018_124606 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 34