SS France Airfix 1/600

Thanks swralph and general melchett. I think it a rather good idea to take any of these old liner kits home with you if given the chance. They are finite and are only going to get more expensive for sure. I have seen some crazy asking prices for them.

• Like 1

My father is a retired carpenter/joiner and one of his favourite observations is that you can always tell a craftsman's true skill by looking at the way they organise their workbench and how neatly they work.

Need I say more :)

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

I think Airfix would be proud of you.

Making such a beautiful model out of this box is stunning.

Highest Compliments with this achievement.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Chris,

I think Airfix would be proud of you.

Making such a beautiful model out of this box is stunning.

Highest Compliments with this achievement.

Regards, Orion

Thanks so much Onion. It's a bit stressful working on such a rare kit but I'm pleased with the end result.

• 3 weeks later...

Stunning build - I appreciate seeing OOB builds.

Innocent question as I know very little about cruise ships.  I was surprised that the lifeboats do not have covers but initially put that down to the Airfix model.  But I’ve done a bit of googling and every archive picture of the actual ship shows open lifeboats, so the model is accurate.  So what happens when it rains - do they fill up with water?

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris, you have made very nice model of the SS France from that elderly Airfix kit. At the time she was launched this ship was the longest trans Atlantic liner built.

I believe that the real ship was eventually sold on and used as a cruise ship for a number of years after being re named SS Norway. Not sure if the ship still exists or not.

Makes a nice change from the dearth of Titanic models that everyone and their dog has issued!

Airfix has served the liner enthusiast quite well some years now.

I think that Revell did the United States that is almost to 1/600th scale also. Has the United States been scrapped, or is the real liner still in mothballs?

So far, apart from some prohibitively expensive resin, no one has made the SS Normandie in plastic. She was a beautiful looking ship in her day.

Very surprised that Heller being a French company never kitted it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a ship modeller but I do have a few kits lying around in various unfinished states. I usually end up quitting them when it gets to the painting stage. Particularly the 90 degree angles between the decks and superstructure puzzle me, how do you get these demarcations so sharp?

On 2/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, Noel Smith said:

Chris, you have made very nice model of the SS France from that elderly Airfix kit. At the time she was launched this ship was the longest trans Atlantic liner built.

I believe that the real ship was eventually sold on and used as a cruise ship for a number of years after being re named SS Norway. Not sure if the ship still exists or not.

Makes a nice change from the dearth of Titanic models that everyone and their dog has issued!

Airfix has served the liner enthusiast quite well some years now.

I think that Revell did the United States that is almost to 1/600th scale also. Has the United States been scrapped, or is the real liner still in mothballs?

So far, apart from some prohibitively expensive resin, no one has made the SS Normandie in plastic. She was a beautiful looking ship in her day.

Very surprised that Heller being a French company never kitted it.

Hi I'm sorry but I just saw your post. Thank you. The France as you mentioned was sold to Norwegian Cruise Lines and turned into the Norway where she served as a cruise ship for many years. She was eventually scrapped in the midst of controversy over her containment of asbestos as the SS Blur Lady.

The SS United States is still with us, though deteriorating at a pier in Philadelphia for the last few decades. The cost to just keep her tied up at the pier is I believe tens of thousands of dollars per month. There is a conservancy trying to save her but her future is in doubt. She is now a faded, rusted ghost stripped of almost all her interiors. You would think the flagship of the US would be preserved but you know the government and big business have different priorities which I won't get into.

Yes, it seems ocean liners are not very popular with the plastic companies. It is surprising the Normandie was never produced in any scale.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris,

This is a stunning build of the Airfix 1/600 SS France.  I bought up a number of the Airfix passenger liner kits last year upon finding out from the company that they have discontinued production with no plans to restart.  I bought a partially complete, unpainted 1/600 model of the SS France last year with the foremast, aft deck housing and funnel, and propeller shafts and supports missing, sinc eit was cheap and I thought I could reproduce the missing parts with a resin mould.  On your model, I noticed you perfectly painted the square windows on the superstructure.  Can you let me know what you did?  Was it a decal set you bought somewhere and can I get hold of it?  Or was this a spray paint, which is something I have yet to move into.  I've built most of the Airfix passenger liners 2-3x each and, quite unbelievably for some, I paint by hand.  If you can help, I'd love to replicate some of the high calibre work you've done, both for this model and my growing fleet!  Thank you kindly.

KR,

Bruce

Edited by RMSAquitania
Forgot to sign!