SS France Airfix 1/600

I enjoyed building the Airfix RMS Queen Elizabeth so I decided to continue with another Airfix 1/600 scale ship. The deck color was something that I was hesitant about but I was reasonably happy with how it looked when assembled. I see most France models with either a very bright, or a dark green deck. This was a grey with a green tint. As with my other 1/600 ship I had much difficulty painting the windows. I don't have the talent to paint with a brush, especially in this scale. This was my third complete ship. The only other project I have is the one I am currently working on, a 1/350 RMS Lusitania. The 1/350 scale is a little easier for me to work on as my old eyes at times aren't up to the task of 1/600!!

1.jpg

3.jpg

6-Propeller-Shafts.jpg

8-Hull-Paint.jpg

9-Hull-Paint.jpg

13-Windows.jpg

19-Windows.jpg

20-Windows.jpg

22-Decals.jpg

24-Decals.jpg

25-Paint.jpg

27-Bridge-Paint.jpg

28-Forecastle.jpg

29-Dry-Fit.jpg

30-Dry-Fit.jpg

32-Dry-Fit.jpg

33-Masking.jpg

35-Masking.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40-Mast.jpg

41-Decals.jpg

42-PE-Stairs.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47_Railings.jpg

49_Railings.jpg

50_Railings.jpg

51_Railings.jpg

51a_Done.jpg

52_Done.jpg

53_Done.jpg

54_Done.jpg

55_Done.jpg

56_Done.jpg

58_Done.jpg

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

On a roll! Another great effort, l suspect storage and display may be a problem at this rate, pleasure to see your build process, good job!

Thanks. Yes I jumped right into this ship building hobby and you're right about storage. This morning I put together a shelving unit with some lighting to put them on. I have them in plexiglass display cases to try and keep the dust off of the ships. The cases are more expensive than most of the models though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you TonyW and Alpha Delta 210. I think the Airfix version of SS France is a much better representation of her then the larger scale Glencoe. I really like these old Airfix kits, they're just hard to find.

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Beautiful job :thumbsup:

Thanks so much Romeo Alpha Yankee and stevehnz. SS France certainly was a beautiful ship. I could never decide which my favorite liner was but it's between RMS Queen Elizabeth and Normandie. Both beautiful behemoths. Through the years the Normandie funnels have grown on me making the decision between the two too close to call. I purchased a 1/350 resin kit of the Normandie that I hope to build someday. I don't know anything about resin and the kit was ridiculously expensive but I didn't know if I would ever have the chance again to build one of my favorites in a 1/350 scale. If I ever feel confident enough in my skills I'll give it a go.

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/classic-plastic-model-kit-reviews/the-1350-ss-normandie-modeling-project/

• Like 2

Yup another beautiful build, really captures the spirit of the thing. Fine job with all the window masking, you have nothing to complain about. I'd have drilled the portholes as well but I'm insane.

One small criticism - that workbench is appallingly tidy, you should remedy that at once 😉

Good luck with the Lusitania - I have the same kit and a tough act to follow - my great-grandfather did an impressive build of her in 1:1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisSC said:

Thanks junglierating and steve60 . I paid 129 USD for the kit. I've seen them go for more and this one was complete and in pretty good condition.

Phew a ton .....expensive but then so are 3 nights out and your liver is thankful and you have a lasting result. 

SS Norway next ?😀

1 minute ago, junglierating said:

Phew a ton .....expensive but then so are 3 nights out and your liver is thankful and you have a lasting result. 

SS Norway next ?😀

True, I could hurt my liver pretty good for what these old kits cost lol. I've only seen that kit one other place in the US and they want $174. I had to get my Lusitania from Australia and that was $74 just in shipping to here. Expensive hobby!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisSC said:

Thanks junglierating and steve60 . I paid 129 USD for the kit. I've seen them go for more and this one was complete and in pretty good condition.

Builders and Collectors both chase after the Airfix SS France issues so they are never going to be as cheap as others in the range, although the Canberra will sometimes give it a run for the money.

The Japanese Type 6 issue box you have shows the artwork to perfection and always fetches good money. 

Tony.

• Like 2

Lovely job Chris, as mentioned, possibly the finest looking liner to grace the high seas. I almost picked up the Lusitania (Anmark boxing) and Airfix Canberra at Telford last year, both at excellent prices, but opted for something else....should have got them, in hindsight (a wonderful thing)... 

• Like 1