RMS Queen Elizabet Airfix 1/600

This was my second try. I did not think I would enjoy the smaller 1/600 scale but I found I was wrong. I don't really see anyone building these old kits but I like working on them. Thanks for looking.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9-Bridge-Windows.jpg

10-Forecastle-Masking.jpg

11-Forecastle-Bracing.jpg

12-Forecastle-White-Paint.jpg

13-Masking-Poop-Deck.jpg

14-Windows.jpg

15-Poop-Deck.jpg

16-Forecastle-Grey-Paint.jpg

18-Finished-Forecastle.jpg

20-Hull-Mounted.jpg

21-Paint-Work.jpg

22-Masking.jpg

23-Painted-Main-Decks.jpg

24-Lots-of-Masking.jpg

25-Vents-and-Windows.jpg

26-Vents-and-Windows.jpg

27-Windows.jpg

28-Dry-Fit.jpg

29-Anchor-Chain.jpg

30-Anchor-Chain.jpg

33-PE-Ladders-and-Doors.jpg

32-Bridge-PE.jpg

34-PE-Ladders-Doors-and-Decals.jpg

36-Decks-Glued.jpg

35-Dry-Fit.jpg

37-Platform.jpg

38-Platform.jpg

40-Screws.jpg

41-Railings.jpg

42-Railings.jpg

43-Bridge.jpg

47-Funnels.jpg

48-Funnels.jpg

49_Funnels.jpg

50_Davits.jpg

52_Lifeboats.jpg

53_Railings.jpg

54_Railings.jpg

55_Railings.jpg

56_Railings.jpg

57_Railings.jpg

58_Railings.jpg

59_Lifeboats.jpg

60_Platform.jpg

61_Forward_Mast.jpg

63_Bridge_Railing.jpg

64_Finished.jpg

65_Finished.jpg

66_Finished.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. RMS Queen Elizabeth was such a beautiful ship, one of my favorites. I always preferred her exterior even over RMS Queen Mary. I am not a fan of modern cruise ships...at all lol. Queen Mary 2 is the only current ship that I would give a second look. I really wish there were an Aquitania model kit, she was also such a beauty IMO.

• Like 1

Oh that is nice. The model is a bit basic but you make it capture the character of the real thing without going too far. I have this in the stash as a mule for a home-made wooden deck - maybe I'll move it up the build order and do it properly (as-in, copy yours!)

What photo-etch did you use?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Oh that is nice. The model is a bit basic but you make it capture the character of the real thing without going too far. I have this in the stash as a mule for a home-made wooden deck - maybe I'll move it up the build order and do it properly (as-in, copy yours!)

What photo-etch did you use?

Thank you. I used this set from White Ensign https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1600+RMS+Queen+ElizabethQueen+Mary+PE+621/5354/#.X5C6zIhKhhE . The set also comes with PE davits but I thought trying to install them was beyond my ability at this time. I did however use some 1/350 scale vents I had left over from my Titanic at the bases of the funnels. I thought they would look a little nicer than my painting them even if they aren't accurate for Queen Elizabeth.

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A wonderful job on that Chris. The QE has long been my favourite of the two sisters & to my eye, you've caught the look of her beautifully. :)

Steve.

Thank you, I agree on her being my favorite sister. I wonder why that seems to be a minority opinion? Possibly because the RMS Queen Mary is still with us? I just thought Queen Elizabeth had nicer lines and a better looking bridge area.

• Like 1

I think it was something to do with the twin funnels vs the triple. The latter was just too much of a good thing to my mind, the QE seemed sleeker & more purposeful. I was gutted when she caught fire in Hong Kong, as a kid I'd dreamed of a voyage in her. :(

Steve.

• Like 1

She also was the larger of the two and I believe just four feet shy of the longest liner France. She was a much heavier ship by far than France though. I usually leave the France out of the three liners I consider the true giants of liners, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, and Normandie. France has her own good points but from a different generation than what I think of as the classic golden age of ocean liners. QE2 and United States would also fall into the category of true big liners but just not in the same class as the Queens and Normandie IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wonderful - I have enjoyed scrolling down through every stage of your superb build - makes me wish I had otherwise chosen this kit rather than my 1/200 Titanic from Trumpeter. You have produced a very clean and finite build there - much admired work.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

wonderful - I have enjoyed scrolling down through every stage of your superb build - makes me wish I had otherwise chosen this kit rather than my 1/200 Titanic from Trumpeter. You have produced a very clean and finite build there - much admired work.

Thanks Gimme Shelter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Chris,

Nice work on this model kit. May I know what type of paint do you use and the paint numbers for the red & black paint used for this model. I  have this kit in my stash and I am going to start building it. I noticed you have used photo etched detail parts. Are they from White Ensign models?

Thanks and kind regards

pe modeller