Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

What a nice modelling experience Hasegawa kits are, the N1K2 is the last of my trio of Japanese subjects in 1/32 scale and as well as being enjoyable to build I have learned a lot about Japanese WW2 aircraft and learned (or re learned) some modelling techniques.

Paints used were mainly Sovereign Colourcoats, the undersides was Xtracolor High Speed Silver and Humbrol was used for the small details.

All markings were painted using Montex masks apart from the stencils data plate and kill markings (I'm not that clever !)

Seat belts are the amazing but fiddley RB Productions IJN ones.

And so here we are, for some reason the aerial wire looks more prominent in the photos than it really is, and yes I messed up the "no step" area on the wing, there are probably more mistakes as well.

Build thread is here

And on with the photos which are not the best as I took them with my phone.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

And the flip side

spacer.png

And put to bed with the other two builds.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 34

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thank you for that, I am really pleased with how this one turned out.

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Great looking model! That cockpit is definitely impressive and the overall clean look is stunning.

Thank you, the cockpit is all Hasegawa apart from the RB seat belts, and I tend not to mess about too much with the finish, some fading and dirtying up are about my limit.

Cheers

Dennis

Very impressive. Such neat paintwork.

And a great collection on display too, but the OCD in me is saying can you please turn that Spit round to face the same way! 😄

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Excellent work Dennis, definitely another one to be proud of B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you again Stew I seem to be learning new things with every build and this was no exception.

2 hours ago, djos said:

Sharp and clean.

Great looking George, same for other models in collection

Regards Djordje

Thank you for that it's appreciated

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Very impressive. Such neat paintwork.

And a great collection on display too, but the OCD in me is saying can you please turn that Spit round to face the same way! 😄

Thank you and yes I can arrange for the out of line Spitfire to be moved so think no more about it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

A great collection of late-war Japanese fighters! I'm happy that you hit the right colours throughout and didn't over-weather the poor beasts...

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

A great collection of late-war Japanese fighters! I'm happy that you hit the right colours throughout and didn't over-weather the poor beasts...

Cheers, Michael

Thank you Michael, Nick Millman kindly helped me with a lot of information as my knowledge on the subject of Japanese WW2 aircraft is rather limited, and I prefer my models to be used but not ready for the scrap heap.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice looking George. For antenna wire I am now using Uschi van der Rosten, Nice and stretchy and sticks to a small drop of CA almost instantly

https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/

That looks good, I am using Aeroclub stretchy stuff at the moment but I bought it many years ago and when it runs out I will need a new supply so I have bookmarked that page.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

I use the Super-fine 1:72 for my 1:48 aircraft as I feel it is more to scale

blackadder57_190416_5cb6697dd61a2.jpg?11

Now that is a very well built and finished George, and the aerial wires look great, makes me want to build another Japanese subject.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kapam said:

A fantastic build.

Looks excellent - as does the rest of your display!

:thumbsup:

Glad you like it, and the rest of my display cabinet, the top shelves tend to be the latest builds, so they are my best efforts.

5 hours ago, luftmodels said:

Beautiful work, Dennis! Clean look. So rare to see Japanese aircraft in normal condition. What a pleasure to look at! 👏🏻 Congratulations!

That's how I like them somebody must have looked after them at some stage in their operational life and they must have been new at some stage, however I do like a skillfully weathered model, some people have a flair for it alas I am totally rubbish at it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:28 AM, spitfire said:

Glad you like it, and the rest of my display cabinet, the top shelves tend to be the latest builds, so they are my best efforts.

That's how I like them somebody must have looked after them at some stage in their operational life and they must have been new at some stage, however I do like a skillfully weathered model, some people have a flair for it alas I am totally rubbish at it.

Cheers

Dennis

I can relate 100% with both of your statements. 😄 Plus I prefer everything in my life to look "like new". 🙄

• Like 1