Minicraft 1/350 Titanic. My first adult attempt at plastic ship modeling

I completed this a few months ago. It was my first model built since I was a child, some 50 years ago! Lots of mistakes but I learned a great deal of the basics of putting one of these together. I regret leaving out the yellow sheer line but I had no idea how to approach masking that at the time. Thanks for looking! Chris.

0.jpg

2-Primed.jpg

3.jpg

4-Hull.jpg

5-Toothpick-Stops-For-Deck-Placement.jpg

6-Reinforcing-Warped-Decks.jpg

7-Clamping-Wood-Foredeck.jpg

8.jpg

9-Foredeck.jpg

10-Wood-Poop-Deck.jpg

11-Clamping-Wood-Welldeck.jpg

12-Aft-Wood-Welldeck.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15-First-Try-At-Photo-Etch-Windows.jpg

16.jpg

17-First-Deck-Installed.jpg

18-Attempting-Photo-Etch.jpg

19.jpg

22-masts.jpg

23-masts.jpg

24-inner-frames-and-windows.jpg

27-Masts.jpg

28-Masts.jpg

29-Cranes.jpg

31-Crane-Bases.jpg

33-Promenade-Deck-Clamping.jpg

34-Promenade-Decking-done.jpg

40-Promenade-Deck-Installed.jpg

41-Promenade-Deck-Installed.jpg

42-Boat-Deck-Wall-1.jpg

44-Boat-Deck-Installed.jpg

45-Boat-Deck-Installed.jpg

46-More-Decking.jpg

47_More_Decking.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51_PE.jpg

52_Test_Fit_Funnels.jpg

53_Funnel_Prep.jpg

54_PE_Masking.jpg

58_Davits.jpg

59_Davits.jpg

60_Lifeboats.jpg

61_Compass_Tower.jpg

62_Cranes.jpg

63_Cranes.jpg

64_Railing.jpg

65_Funnel_Color.jpg

66_Painting_Funnels.jpg

67_Painted_Funnels.jpg

68_Funnel_Ladders.jpg

69_Funnel_Cables.jpg

70_Benches.jpg

71_Boat_deck_Funnels.jpg

72_Lit.jpg

73_Promenade_Railing.jpg

74_Promenade_Railing.jpg

75_Railings_Cranes.jpg

77_Docking_Bridge.jpg

78_Poop_Deck.jpg

79_Poop_Deck.jpg

80_Poop_Deck_Installed.jpg

81_Poop_Deck_Installed.jpg

83_Poop_Deck_Railing.jpg

85_Lifeboats.jpg

86_Lifeboats.jpg

87_Lifeboats.jpg

88_Lifeboats.jpg

89_Masts.jpg

90_Masts.jpg

91_Masts.jpg

92_Installed_Mast.jpg

93_Installed_Mast.jpg

94_Rat_lines_boats.jpg

95_Rear_Ratline.jpg

96_Rigging.jpg

97_Done.jpg

• Like 38

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind words. They certainly were beautiful machines, the wonders of their age. 

RussleE I used the product Scaledecks for the wood decks.

I prepared myself pretty well before taking on the Titanic, I purchased lots of supplies. I'm also glad I found this forum, what a wonderful group you have here.

Chris

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Chris, 

Are you sure you've been away from modeling that many years? You haven't lost a step- that is an incredible model you have built, and I'm not a ship  modeler by any means. Looks like you are a car guy, so you might try getting some yellow vinyl auto pin striping tape to do that shear line-I think it would work! Than ks for posting the extensive and informative photos of the WIP.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Chris, 

Are you sure you've been away from modeling that many years? You haven't lost a step- that is an incredible model you have built, and I'm not a ship  modeler by any means. Looks like you are a car guy, so you might try getting some yellow vinyl auto pin striping tape to do that shear line-I think it would work! Than ks for posting the extensive and informative photos of the WIP.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think I'm gonna just build another one with the gold stripe, decals, and proper rigging. That was my first one so there was a lot of things I didn't know how to approach. Putting the gold stripe on at this point is just going to cause damage IMO and probably not look nice. I needed to put that on a bare hull. Yup, I am big on cars!!

13 minutes ago, ChrisSC said:

Yup, I am big on cars!!

Chris,

At least you're a GM car guy! I have a 1970 Buick Skylark, a 1987 Monte Carlo SS, and an 2002 Monte Carlo SS- you can guess which one of the three I take out and terrorize the neighborhood! (There's no replacement for displacement, as they say!)

Mike

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Chris,

At least you're a GM car guy! I have a 1970 Buick Skylark, a 1987 Monte Carlo SS, and an 2002 Monte Carlo SS- you can guess which one of the three I take out and terrorize the neighborhood! (There's no replacement for displacement, as they say!)

Mike

I was a GM guy since I could drive. I have a 67 Impala SS 427, 4 speed, 3:73's. In my later years I have become a Mopar fan since they came out with the Challenger. I also have a 392 6 speed SRT8 Challenger and I love it. I agree on the displacement which is why I like my 392. That's a lot of cubes for a modern pushrod V8, Naturally aspirated...no need for any smoke and mirror turbos lol. I have a 2020 Tahoe and one of the things GM turns me off about is if you want the big engine you have to buy their top trim level which will put you in the poor house. They play games with rear end gears too, need a package to get gears. I had a few Hemi Rams and if you wanted a 3;90 rear no problem, just check off the box and for a few hundred you get just the gears. By the way, 70 Skylark is a nice ride. My buddy has a 67 GS 400 convertible which is mint. Buick used to make some really nice stuff back in the old days.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

CH.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, colin said:

Very nice build, but I think you have it in the wrong section, should be in the work in progress not the RFI

Thanks. This one is finished as in I'm not going to do anything else to it. I had mentioned before that I plan on doing another some day to correct some of the things I didn't do here.

• 1 year later...