New from across the pond

ChrisSC

Hello to all and thank you for accepting me into your community. I'm not in the UK so was a little hesitant about joining but I see there are other members from around the globe here. I live in the US state of South Carolina.

I just started building models around the beginning of the year and quickly found myself hooked! I'm thinking one of the reasons that also contributed to taking up this new hobby has been the increased amount of time being spent indoors due to this virus and its limitations, either by choice or mandate, on participating in outdoor activities.

I am and have always been a huge fan of ocean liners of the early to mid twentieth century. Most of my favorites are British liners and a few French ships as well. I'm most definitely still in the learning stage as far as building ships and am hoping to improve my skills a bit with each new project I commence. I have purchased as many liners as I could find, all in plastic with a resin Normandie being the exception. Unfortunately ocean liners do not appear to be a popular subject with the manufacturers which has led me to purchase many old and out of production kits. I enjoy sharing the building process with others as well as viewing models being built by other people. If I can figure out how to participate in the group I'll post the three builds I have completed as well as my current project, a 1/350 Lusitania.

Thank you again,

Chris

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Chris.

You have come to a good place as many skills are common for what ever subject you build.

Be sure to browse around at the topics I'm sure you will pick up many tips an dont forget  . . . No question is a daft question, we have all been there  . . .

I look forward to seeing some of your vessels 

all the best 

Ian

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum. It's a friendly place with some really good models getting built.

Reading your intro reminds me I have an Airfix SS France that needs finishing. Wanting to add lighting and photo etch railings, both firsts for me, stalled the build some time back.

Tony.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Chris

I wonder if you have seen this, there are plenty more builds of the Titanic from Nigel if you search . . . .

Yes, I have the Trumpeter 1/200 kit with the Pontos and KA Models detail kits. I am waiting to build a few more models and get my skills up before attempting her. When I received the package I couldn't believe how large a model she is. The hull looks like something I could sit in and paddle around the pond in lol!

• Haha 1

Welcome, I did the 1/600 Airfix France liner back in the early '70s. In found it

very interesting and a pleasant build. Enjoy your new found hobby. I have been

toying with the idea of maybe the "Black Pearl", "HMS Bounty" or "Mayflower" for

a change of pace. My mom's family came to the U.S. on the John of London in

the 1630s. Gotta love the floaty things.---John

• Like 1