Mike

Welders (38039)

1:35 MiniArt via Creative Models Ltd

boxtop.jpg

The introduction of welded seams on metal structures happened because the joints were stronger and lighter than the riveting methods previously used, and the job could be done quickly and more cost-effectively into the bargain.  For deconstruction, similar gear can be used to rapidly cut metal apart for scrapping or recycling.  The torches use gases mixed together to create an incredibly hot flame that melts metal in seconds or less, with the most well-known method being oxy-acetylene, which is clearly a mixture of oxygen and acetylene, the latter helping to create temperatures in excess of 3,500 o Celsius, melting the rod and joining the metals.  The ferocity of the flame is such that without a welding mask or goggles, you could well end up in hospital with severe eye-strain, UV or infrared damage, or worse a fleck of molten metal embedded in your eye.  Every day’s a school day, eh?

sprue1.jpg

Inside the shrink-wrapped box are five sprues, two containing the figures, the other three full of cylinders and a trolley, plus the torches and a few accessories.  The two figures are posed in some classic welding positions, one kneeling and holding up a large mask with one hand, and the torch in the other.  This was before the days of automatic lenses or flip-down masks.  The other gentleman has a pair of goggles and is welding at waist height, leaning over the work to get a better view.  Each torch has two inlets at the rear, which you will need to join to some hose substitutes to suit your needs, with lead wire springing immediately to mind.  The two tanks are filled with oxygen and a mix of acetone, some form of wadding, and the acetylene of course, all of which helps to keep it in a fit state to use for a longer time.  Both welders have two tanks each, but with only one trolley for moving the heavy tanks around.  The trolley is based on a sack truck that you might find on a railway platform, but with a huge set of wheels, one on each side.  The two tanks would be strapped or chained in position to prevent ‘sudden accidental unloading’ if you hit a bump.  The cylinders are made from two halves with a flared base part, a set of regulators or a cover over the spigot, depending on the story you’re telling.

As usual with MiniArt figures their sculpting is exceptional with crisp detail and sensible parts breakdown plus the extras to add some detail to their vicinity if you’re using them in a diorama.  As well as the bottles and masks, you get two rod containers and some extra goggles.

NOTE: When I opened the box a spare leg, part F5, fell out.  It must have been an issue during packaging.  If you’re reading this and have a leg missing (from your model) after buying the set, drop me a PM if you can’t source a replacement elsewhere.

completedmodel.jpg

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was so pleased to have this set.  Previously welders were very difficult to find (resin Royal Models).  However, from what I can tell both figures are given cutting torches.  I think the period welder had a torch and stick (2 hands needed).  So for my welder I converted him to having a MIG welding set, using a Bronco British no 18 radio set as the welding unit (which feeds welding wire to the torch).  Am waiting for a professional to tell me I'm wrong!

• Like 1

For gas welding as opposed to arc, or Mig the torches are similar in you still use the two gases of oxygen and acetylene (at least they were the two I used when I learnt) 

Mig came in in the 1940's so could be period correct.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Great idea for a set !...my only criticism being that the kneeling bloke is using an arc welding face shield/mask yet he's doing Oxy Acetylene work ! 

He might have a book hidden in there for a quick read while he's working :clown:

• Haha 1