Recommended SatNav

Chaps.

I've been driving about 33k/yr for many years now (now leaped to 1200/week...) and have managed with Google maps quite happily.

But, unfortunately, due to too many Android updates It's no longer fit for use. IE, you have to touch the screen when driving to maximise the screen if a call comes in.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a TomTom Go Essential.

It arrived today and is going back tomorrow!

Failed during update, TomTom locking me out of my account and bluetooth tethering doesn't work as intended, etc, etc...

I've had a Garmin for years and that was pretty good back then, but some of the other drivers don't rate them anymore.

So...

What to go for?

It must have live traffic, but no sim (hence tethering must work).

£150-200 budget.

Suggestions?

Rick.

I've had Garmins (two) over about 15 years, and have always been happy with them. The newest can be updated via your home computer (basically plug in and the machines do everything else), so it's not a problem to keep it up to the mark.

Thanks chaps.

Unfortunately I do need to take an odd. Call, hands free, so can't do the don't disturb bit.

The updates I need are live traffic, so it'll need a permanent connection to a phone.

Rick.

You could try Waze, a popular free app, works on android. I had a garmin sat nav years back and although it was good I tried Waze on my android phone, it worked a treat and live updates from other road users advising road works, crashes, speed cameras and a host of other things, also answers your phone via bluetooth. Its faster than gmaps.

Worth a try before you go spending £150+ .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of Waze - though I thought it required a Spotify subscription. The info it provides is current and detailed (e.g. hidden police car, pothole in road).

My car has a built in Satnav, so for fun I sometimes run both - invariably Waze updates the route for traffic etc. more often and quickly than the satnav. One feature I really like is that if you do get stuck in traffic, Waze will tell you how long you can expect to sit there. It makes a huge difference to your stress levels when you know how long the queue is (and usually why).

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Thanks chaps.

Unfortunately I do need to take an odd. Call, hands free, so can't do the don't disturb bit.

The updates I need are live traffic, so it'll need a permanent connection to a phone.

Rick.

I'll just leave this here for you, you can make your own mind up - https://www.businessinsider.com/talking-on-a-hands-free-cellphone-is-as-bad-as-driving-drunk-2013-8?r=US&IR=T

Stay safe. 🙂

Edited by RobL
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, RobL said:

I'll just leave this here for you, you can make your own mind up - https://www.businessinsider.com/talking-on-a-hands-free-cellphone-is-as-bad-as-driving-drunk-2013-8?r=US&IR=T

Stay safe. 🙂

Duly noted.... 🙂

I'll give Waze another try, I didn't get on with it when I last used it.

TomTom Have come back to me with a possible solution to the problem I have, so will give that a go at the weekend.

Rick.

Are live traffic feeds in the UK comparable to Google's traffic data?

Here in CA, Google's traffic data is head and shoulders above Caltrans' (California Department of Transportation) traffic feeds, which are used by other navigation devices. I have a photo from the 2016 Mini Cooper I used to own that showed no traffic on the in-car navigation, heavy traffic in Google Maps, and bumper-to-bumper traffic around me.

While Caltrans has roadway sensors in major roads, Google uses live data reported by every phone running Maps. My experience is Google is always more accurate. Google can also show traffic on minor roads that do not have road sensors.

Despite that, I did like the Mini Cooper"s navigation with its HUD integration.

I spent 3 months in the UK last year. The Tom Tom got thrown onto the back seat after a week. Likewise Google maps led us up lots of 3-ply single track roads. Waze however has a magic default setting "avoid difficult junctions" - so all those  turn right to cut the corner off and join the queue of 10 vehicles who have been conned by the same app, trying to turn right across a busy main road - are avoided. Works well in the UK. Not so good in NZ, but we tend to only have one road going to one place...

59 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

Works well in the UK. Not so good in NZ

As Waze is partly user driven (both to monitor movement and collect user reports), it stands to reason that user density would impact on the quality of service. 

Cheers

Colin

Just to clarify chaps, I'm after a standalone SatNav, not an App.

I'm currently in the process of sending my TomTom Go Essential back, as it doesn't work with bluetooth tethering correctly.

Hence, no live traffic.

I may try the Garmin route, as I liked my previous device from them.

The only trouble is I'm not sure if it's a Samsung/bluetooth/ BT issue or just poor TomTom software.

Anybody else have any experience with Bluetooth tethering (NOT PAIRING, this is a separate thang...).

Rick.

I've just heard back from the BT forum, apparently they do allow Bluetooth Tethering.

Looks like to TomTom is going back...

Rick.

I find the AA road atlas of the UK serves me pretty well.

• Like 1

Omg!

Got Bluetooth tethering working on the TomTom, just before I was going to send it back!

Turns out it only works if you disconnect from the WiFi.....

Took about 14 hours of my life to find that out. And the answer wasn't from TT.

Looks like we can close this thread now.

Thanks chaps.

Rick.