EF-101B Electric Voodoo

Lightningboy2000

I'm just in the last stages of adding external bits & pieces to my EF-101B.

I've scratch made a couple of probes which protrude from the underside between the rotating bomb bay & the nose gear bay but I can't find any reference as to what these are. There's a few unusual add ons that 414sq added to this last Voodoo that sets it apart from other Voodoos.

Does anyone know what these are?

50512257163_2e72beb707_b.jpg

Are they radar reflectors or cameras?

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Not sure if you have seen the stuff here, https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/112145-canadian-all-black-voodoo-ef-101b-details.html

Sadly all the picture links seem to be dead but it does mention this:

9). ECM Antenna Summary

This aircraft had a number of ECM antennas fitted:

One forward facing on the upper nose (Replacing the IR Sensor).

Two rear facing below the nose with a small blade antenna between.

Three rear facing behind the canopy (plus one small blade antenna for a total of four).

Two rear facing ones below the fuselage forward of the afterburners. (these are actually the Data Link Antennas that were present on all Canadian Voodoos, however although these appear in profile drawings of the"BLACK VOODOO" they are not evident in any photos seen so far).

Three small bi-directional pod antennas between the nose gear door and the weapons bay. The aircraft was often seen with an ECM Pod fitted to a pylon on the weapons bay door.

Hope that helps a bit

Harry

• Like 1

Just a slight correction, it is a ALE-2 chaff dispenser that was installed on the armament door which was rotated to the AIR-2A (Genie) side as you can see by the extra bumps on it.

McDonnell EF-101B 101067  414 Sqn/CF  11-04-84

Jari

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I had no idea this aircraft even existed!  Was it used for training exclusively, or did it have a possible wartime function?

There was only one converted before the programme was cancelled and it was leased to the RCAF

• Like 1

Well in theory just the one ...101067 which went back to the USA.  But 101054 was made to look like and painted up as 101067, before being stuck on a pole at North Bay.  BTW 067 was in the overall grey finish before later going to the overall black.

PM

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, hwallen1410 said:

Hi Martin,

Not sure if you have seen the stuff here, https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/112145-canadian-all-black-voodoo-ef-101b-details.html

Sadly all the picture links seem to be dead but it does mention this:

9). ECM Antenna Summary

This aircraft had a number of ECM antennas fitted:

One forward facing on the upper nose (Replacing the IR Sensor).

Two rear facing below the nose with a small blade antenna between.

Three rear facing behind the canopy (plus one small blade antenna for a total of four).

Two rear facing ones below the fuselage forward of the afterburners. (these are actually the Data Link Antennas that were present on all Canadian Voodoos, however although these appear in profile drawings of the"BLACK VOODOO" they are not evident in any photos seen so far).

Three small bi-directional pod antennas between the nose gear door and the weapons bay. The aircraft was often seen with an ECM Pod fitted to a pylon on the weapons bay door.

Hope that helps a bit

Harry

Thanks Harry, yes I also stumbled across that forum.

I have incorporated the ECM antennas behind the canopy & underneath plus those bi-directional antennas, wondered what they were.

I scratch built te ECM pod, but in hindsight I might have made it a tad too long, but it looks OK to me, plus I found a pylon in my spares box.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235082133-black-knight-voodoo/

Cheers

Martin

On 10/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, Finn said:

Just a slight correction, it is a ALE-2 chaff dispenser that was installed on the armament door which was rotated to the AIR-2A (Genie) side as you can see by the extra bumps on it.

McDonnell EF-101B 101067  414 Sqn/CF  11-04-84

Jari

Hi Jari, thanks for that! Maybe I could have found a 1/72 replacement for it after all!