Any 1/48 RAAF P-43A Lancer decals?

ReccePhreak

Hi Larry,

Most of the photos I have seen of the RAAF P-43 seems to portray a pretty simple scheme. If you can't spray the roundels and fin flash, which I would do, then I am sure you can source some RAAF decals. Tricky part are the grey serial numbers and Ventura does do a sheet (V4853: 8 inch Serials. RAF etc - LIGHT GREY). I have not seen any nose art. Maybe some stenciling that is hard to read on the starboard side of A56-5 here http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a56.htm.

Ray

• Like 1

A56-5 carried the name 'Mischief' in small letters on the cowl as per attached link. You will have to click on the link as the system to 'attach from a web link' never works for me.

As said apart from the name not hard to make up from available decals. A56-6 is not known to have carried a name so would be simpler.

According to Scalemates one boxing of the Dora Wings 1/48 kit (No DW48034) has decals for A56-5 complete with nose art, but I suspect it is not released yet as it is not on the Dora Wings website or any sellers that I checked.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Republic-Lancer/A56_5_Pic?full=1

Edited by Hornet133
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

A56-5 carried the name 'Mischief'

Now you mention it, I can read it. The first three letters did look like "MIK" to me. Even the name MISCHIEF would be easy to do with a sharp permanent color pencil.

Dora Wings' artwork on Scalemates.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dora-wings-dw48034-republic-p-43b-lancer--1290504

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info

Thanks @Ray_W & @Hornet133 for your replies. I have a few different decal sheets that have 1/48 RAAF roundels on them. I will just have to determine the proper sizes. All the sources for those Ventura decals are overseas, so there may be a delay in getting them with the CCP Pandemic lockdown of international mail. I will keep looking through my decal sheets, to see if I have any that I can use. For some reason, I had a set of decals for the Pavla 1/72 P-43A in my decal stash (But no kit). I printed a scaled up scan, so I can determine the size of decals I need. I think I should have everything sourced soon. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Geoffrey Sinclair has asked me to post this material here:

From RAAF Air Member for Engineering and Maintenance Report.
Week ending 1 July 1942, advance advice has been issued to amend the National Markings of aircraft in accordance with the latest operation requirements.  The deletion of the yellow roundall and change the red centre to white on the upper mainplane.  Arrangements are being made for the test of the new night finish for operational aircraft.

Week ending 23 September 1942.  All RAAF aircraft will in future be identified by a blue circle surrounding the white centre.  The necessary technical orders have been amended accordingly.

Week ending 21 April 1943, chart prepared showing standard and suggested camouflage schemes, will be used to stabilise all schemes.  Training aircraft camouflage has been varied to make them more visible during flight and on ground.

The images below are available on the Australian Archives Web site, Files A7674 Control 3 and A7674 control 5.  Air Force Confidential Orders.

50512943038_b657ecfe0d_b.jpg

50512943063_d6a1e87c22_b.jpg

50512943083_08e1f05325_b.jpg

50513653776_62b386157d_b.jpg

50512943133_e45499fbe9_b.jpg

50512943178_3004ec7579_b.jpg

50512947193_d6e05578aa_b.jpg

50513823687_ed19bb0638_b.jpg

50512947293_6ed25d2618_b.jpg

Chris, for Geoffrey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

One item forgotten from the markings notes.

From RAAF Air Member for Engineering and Maintenance Report week ending 1 September 1943 A Director of Technical Services special instruction has been issued authorising the introduction of American type aircraft into the RAAF with American type camouflage unchanged.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, draggie748 said:

Larry,

Give me a day or two and I'll send yoou some more info on the RAAF Lancers by email.

Cheers Old Friend

Phil Hastie

Phil,

Thanks, looking forward to that.

Best Regards,

Larry