The other Tim's 1/72 Revell Panavia Tornado GR4 - ZA492, 617 Sqn - 70th anniversary of the Dambusters raid

Tim Moff

Well I thought I'd best join now the #BoB80 build is drawing to a close. I over extended a bit on that with lockdown, working from home so no commute etc, a couple of builds not finished and I have 2 helicopter builds still to get done on the next KUTA build.

So lesson learned, I will do 2 builds, starting with this, pretty much OOB with crew from elsewhere.  I am looking at what subject, I may go out and get some aftermarket decals - I have some already, plus I could also kill 2 birds with 1 stone modelling a 617 Sqn airframe....

I did build a 13 Sqn GR1A airframe in winter cam in the last STGB. Did find the kit a bit over engineered and I do tend to stick to 1/48 and above now. 

I have the aftermarket resin to upgrade to a GR4 and some other decals, so any ideas welcome!

lfiWeCC.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

welcome aboard Tim.

GR1 or a GR4 or both are great. If you are not happy with overengineered kits then the Revell 1/48 is one to avoid as several of us are finding out!

Colin

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got stuck in today getting some bits off the sprue and some initial building.

sadly I’ve found there’s some bits missing - luckily I’ve 2 bang seats out of a previous build - kit was 2nd hand and not in a bag.

a lot of flash to get rid of and I’ve done some of the major bits, intakes, wings, fin etc.

hopefully nothing to drastic missing !

edging towards the 617 Sqn GR4 70th anniversary jet....

11mqvKA.jpg

ca322hL.jpg

Royal Air Force  Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA412 (617 Sqn 'Dambusters' 70th Anniversary) - XV(R) - RAF Lossiemouth

WrminQR.jpg

https://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2013/05/17/news-dambusters-70th-anniversary-commemorations/

• Like 2

Would everyone agree that the aircraft in this scheme are in the MSG scheme ?

the decals I have and even the Airfix version would have you spray it the older DSG/DCG scheme - I think it’s MSG all over if you look at the uppers where the DSG would be... in fact one of the airframes has some old DSG panels ?

this thread seems to agree, albeit the MSG may be a little faded....

does anyone know if the stencils changed - hopefully I will have some for the MSG scheme in my stash..

XXS1Sqi.jpg

Zzs1YYb.jpg

Rnsjzur.png

1t6WlC1.jpg

x6ctbLg.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

bit more early work done, some on the stores etc .

soon be able to get the primer on.

any views on the colour of the wing area that’s hidden etc ? On the pics looks another grey ? The 

pgl9dEF.jpg

HIjlGde.jpg

• Like 2

Nice progress Tim and a cool choice of colour scheme. As for your wing sweep area grey - perhaps it's just clean due to being swept by the seals?

• Like 1

Some basic priming done tonight 

I used mr paint black primer them put down FS36320 Dark Gull Grey as the cockpit area.

Still thinking about the wing sweep area - might go for DCG just to see. 

the sidewinder rails also appear lighter, would expect they are DCG from the previous paint iteration ?

zKZMtWx.jpg

realised from the pics that the smaller 1500 ? Tanks are fitted on the aircraft so have built them up.

most pics are clean of LGBs so I may just paint them for future use. 

xMhMcB4.jpg

• Like 3

From the pictures I've looked at of GR.4s, it seems like, more often than not, the wing sweep areas are the same colour as the rest of the wing. Either that, or its damn close. That said, there are of course exceptions where it definitely looks darker.  But then I was mainly looking for pictures of GR.1s so didn't worry too much about GR.4s 🙂

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on with this build 

Front end built NatQbqe.jpg

need to crack on a bit as I’ve been focussed on the 1/48 build and have to get some more pics of this - wings are together and about to close up the rear end. Undercarriage doors all closed along with air brakes etc. A little bit messy as I’m finding I am with 1/72 builds now !

Anyone have the Airfix kit decals that came with this - I’m thinking of building ZA492 as it was a bit dirtier and had some DSG panels, CG coloured AIM 9 rail so a bit different - however the aftermarket decals have the names of the ZA412 crew to go on the canopy...

Ive seen a great build of ZA492 that has the correct names but not sure if it’s from the Airfix kit decals ?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=159&t=1362582

my build won’t be to this standard - pretty amazing work ... does not seem to mention where the ZA492 decals are from .

• Like 2

• Tim Moff changed the title to The other Tim's 1/72 Revell Panavia Tornado GR4 - ZA492, 617 Sqn - 70th anniversary of the Dambusters raid

Some work going on 

covering up some vents 

PBRQD3x.jpg

Some foam behind the wing sweep bags  as going with wings fwd

8vVPFjQ.jpg

will put the tail planes on later 

rEVH2DQ.jpg

EkNaPdA.jpg

fuse when well 

JrPVelf.jpg

with her big half sister !

Ddd0wA7.jpg

Some last bits to do before the primer goes on...

• Like 5

Got it out to prime with some Mr Paint primer.

cockpit masked off as the dipped canopies are taking a bit longer than expected.

will look to mottle with some LAG, DSG etc to break up the MSG main colour. Will then stick the Night Black on the tail.

ZA492 had some old DSG panels that I can sort after.

dhMPMDb.jpg

• Like 3

Paint on ... night black onto the tail - I also marbled the surfaces with light aircraft grey, dark sea grey and FS36375 Gull grey to give some different tones.

64aXmE5.jpg

Tamiya XF-83 MSG 2 RAF misted over 

ehhQrPf.jpg

2fYknEH.jpg

3t6k43N.jpg

nUbWsAI.jpg

the airframe looked a bit grubby on the wings etc so hopefully the effect will still be there once the gloss and Matt cotes go on...

NSyzC31.jpg

NSyzC31.jpgX7zJYBZ.jpg

next need to get the lightened Dark Sea Grey on the nose and the panels shown on the ref pics 

zKZMtWx.jpg

RBMnttB.jpg

• Like 4

Lots going on masking wise 🤣

Trying to get the DSG panels done and then sort the metal on the tail at the same time as the 1/48.

q0vhVVp.jpg

canopies on.

• Like 2

Some work over the weekend - chased a couple of errors that’s frustrating sometimes in this scale 🤣

seems to be nearly there for gloss and decals... just the gun area to sort . Will do all the other smaller detail stuff after..,

liL6kkS.jpg

404vNUf.jpg

DCN0yhY.jpg

• Like 5

Got done if the small detail painting done and glossed - realised the wing sweep masking not quite right so will mask and spray with some MSG before staring in the decals ...

JMfFLpS.jpg

y1CKzRr.jpg

Some of the stores 

YLk7b10.jpgdecals are close to going on!

• Like 2

Getting the masking for the wing sweep area is a pain, but you look to have got it right. I usually close the wing and use a pencil to draw around the edge of the fuselage to give me some idea of the shape.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Getting the masking for the wing sweep area is a pain, but you look to have got it right. I usually close the wing and use a pencil to draw around the edge of the fuselage to give me some idea of the shape.

That’s what I did originally  - for whatever reason I didn’t quite cover the Black primer correctly - probably my biff handed masking 🤣

hopefully get it sorted later and get on with decals ...

On the final lap - just heard the bell ring 🤣

pushing on with decals ...

dBwT1wQ.jpg

FTPf6Pm.jpg

think they were probably designed for the Airfix kit as slightly large but will do the job...

stencils and weapons decals to go !!

• Like 3