The other Tim's 1/48 Italeri Panavia Tornado F.3 - ZE785 of the F3 OEU, RAF Waddington May 2003

Tim Moff

Well I thought I'd best join now the #BoB80 build is drawing to a close. I over extended a bit on that with lockdown, working from home so no commute etc, a couple of builds not finished and I have 2 helicopter builds still to get done on the next KUTA build.

So lesson learned, I will do 2 builds, starting with this, pretty much OOB with crew from elsewhere.  I am looking at what subject, I may go out and get some aftermarket decals - I have some Model Alliance Op Telic decals ( I was on the ground and never saw the RAF!) which give me a personal connection.

wGQljsv.jpg

xtradecal-x48194-decals-panavia-tornado-

s-l640.jpg

Seems to have stencils included - I could use the kit ones depending on year

s-l640.jpg

Stencils

s-l640.jpg

I am taking it the F3 general colour schemes are as per the Tornado Sig:

Upper surface: Barley Grey (BS4800.18B.21) now known as Camouflage Grey (BSC381C:626)  (satin) 
Undersides: Light Grey (BSC381C:627) (satin)
Radome: Medium Grey (matt)

in the mid 2000's F.3’s were repainted in overall Medium Sea Grey with a slight variation in the radome colour.

I did build the 1/48 Italeri GR1 in the last STGB.

Will follow @col for advice !

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Just finishing of my remaining  2 #BoB80 builds, in between antenna wire  mounting last night I got started on removing some parts from the sprues,front wheel doors and air brakes etc.

cGTXmkJ.jpg

k98SeFg.jpg

just grabbed 2 x pilots from the Falklands Airfix GR3 and SHAR that I’ve got on the shelf of doom - I will need to go asking for some more on the wanted page!

bit of Stanley knife work to get the air brakes in. Will need some filler in the gaps

h2doKeq.jpg

niizD9C.jpg

for some reason the previous kit owner had primed all the sprues - guess handy for the early parts of the build. Am looking to spray the tub a mid grey - I’m not sure if it’s meant to be admiralty grey in theory - if so I’d normally use a DSG with some drops of white ....I have seen a suggestion that you FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey works. Not sure if the gubbins are accurate for an F3 but im not too worried as it will be buttoned up.

• Like 5

Nice start Tim. The tub seems to be based on an F.3T but with elements of the standard F.3 thrown in to complicate the mix. Have you got a particular airframe in mind?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice start Tim. The tub seems to be based on an F.3T but with elements of the standard F.3 thrown in to complicate the mix. Have you got a particular airframe in mind?

Not at the moment - likely be one of the 7 airframes in  ML48106 decal set I’ve on order - went for it as it has the stencils with it -the italeri not likely to be up to much ....

have Ian Blacks Combat Edge book which has some nice F3 pics and Andy Evans book

rdgxS25.jpg

C1LIxxd.jpg

eVqSGpa.jpg

also got some thin foam in the shape of snowmen to maybe build the swing wing boot thingies !! Bit cheaper than actual custom foam and will do the job I spose ....

DnMtw8C.jpg

any suggestions appreciated !

cRoHa0w.png

• Like 3

Bit more time doing some of the preassembley prep...

sWH1DyA.jpg

Some reason I have a Skyflash missing, had to raid the Airfix GR4 box and stole 2, that way I will have 2 of each.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2020 at 11:39 AM, Col. said:

Do you want some of my spare Sky Flash?

that’s very kind - only if unwanted?

would at least mean they all look the same !

Still waiting on decals but am thinking a full load .

• Like 1

got some painting done, FS36320 Dark Gull Grey on the cockpit area 

UGNY9L9.jpg

some ref pics for the cockpit area 

OmHcSYK.jpg

GJirQJg.jpg

Is this  from the F3T? Displays look offset? Looks like joy stick?

Z03krru.jpg

• Like 4

The last photo is indeed the back seat of an F3T, the radar controller has been repositioned and it has the full control column, rudder pedals and throttle quadrant.  The second photo is the standard configuration.

AW

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 8:03 PM, Tim Moff said:

that’s very kind - only if unwanted?

would at least mean they all look the same !

Still waiting on decals but am thinking a full load .

Will get a pair of those off to you. Any particular squadron you're looking for with regard to decals?

• Thanks 1

Some bits done on the tub. Seems the IP in the back is an F3T - not much I can do about that, will do!

oSlbjtq.jpg

SxdhBff.jpg

IsM99Jq.jpg

mrRqr41.jpg

Hopefully get it closed up over the weeknd.

• Like 5

Moving on with this... lots of cutting, bashing, sticking - exactly as @col was finding with the fit .... this was then followed by lots of filler. The building side of modelling is probably not my strongest skill, especially if the kit needs a bit of attention 🤣

got the nose on - fairly good fit with a bit of filler.

kbi022S.jpg

Front gear boots using the same trick as @col - needed some filler and the small gap leaving 

s8Roc34.jpg

bit of brush painting in the intakes 

IMC1FUg.jpg

some plasticard to cover various scoops and whatever also to fill the mahooosive gaps in the rear gear doors -just to give the filler something to cling to...

mYe2l3I.jpg

frNgpqF.jpg

rOq5tmJ.jpg

test fitting showed the fillet areas around the wing area might cause a gap so some card in there too

KEkTOcq.jpg

Thought if get some paint onto a test mule - defo a slight difference in colours between the original Barley Grey before it became/replaced by Camouflage Grey... not sure what to use as the main paint - may do an odd panel in the alternate - but still to decide which airframe to model.... defo will have some contrast with the Light Aircraft Grey on the lower fuselage - by using the alternate on the pylons, sky flash , tanks if fitted etc ..,

UFFD1Gq.jpg

Should I be painting the leading edge lower ‘slats’ or whatever they are the upper colour? Or is this only seen when they deploy ?

OyfZKFr.jpg

seem again here ... ooh some nice weathering on the bottom and maybe an excuse to get the DG/DSG out for a fuel tank !!!🤣
3QhJbhA.jpg

so I decided to take on the wing sweep bag and gap ...

flKSO6o.jpg

not a great fix but better than nothing a f you get the gist ...

doSxB3L.jpg

plan to have the wings swept I think it’s around 58 degrees 

Vfg80B9.jpg

seems near enough maybe a bit too far back but will do - means not much of the sweep bag things will be seen ...
ZVTQyLP.jpg

Wings all fixed and some sanding done. Painted the sweep area DSG.

decals arrived - still not sure what to build.. all black tempting though😳🤣

also the red fin or even the later MSG and black fin ....

KECvuAO.jpg

2gwOIQN.jpg

XzKnovi.jpg

ua2J5TI.jpg

Stencils too

kBWX1B5.jpg

Choices choices ...

next phase is the main fuse between front and rear - I’m thinking of doing this before fitting the intakes - test fit looks ok, likely to put a couple more guide tabs in. Intakes seem to look like they will squeeze in after.

need to prep the canopy and dip in this solution stuff I’ve got and then mask...

not long before paint so will soon have to decide on scheme - the whole kit was pre primed in a grey but I’d likely go over in black to allow me a good base for the greys - however would need to think about a white on the tail area if doing the red tail OEU scheme ...

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Jabba said:

The lower fwd edge of the slats should be painted the same as the upper colour. I think the same is for the leading edge of the tailplanes, but please do not quote me on that.

Thanks @Jabba I couldn’t resist and am quoting you on that 🤣

will look closer at some ref pics... of course the sleek all gloss black pointy jet would negate all that .....🤪

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice progress Tim. Was going to offer you some decals from my sheets but you've picked a much cooler selection :wub:

thanks for thinking of me !

whatcha got - still stuck and I need to decide before primer!

Cracking on as I just looked at the finish date 🤣

Mrs M was not impressed when I utilised her inherited vintage rhubarb and custard bowl ... looks like a fruit bowl but apparently her nan used to keep rhubarb and custard sweets in it ...

useful to allow gravity to do its bit after the main fuse join...

aPxA0TW.jpg

join seamed to go well (see what I did there 🤣😳) but I stick a load of filler on the join and sanded... I hate filling and sanding 

starting to look like an F3

HLIT1ku.jpg

Mighty fin on...but mire filling and sanding !

rDVEQCF.jpg

with the little half sister !

Ddd0wA7.jpg

Some more filling and sanding done.

ive painted the business end and will need to put the main colour on it before it gets joined onto the main fuselage.

so the big decision needs making .... before priming I need a scheme - the OEU airframe in CG/BG/LAG with red tail would need white primer ...

do I do a medium sea grey scheme with a black tail (25 Sqn and 111 Sqn) but my GR4 will be MSG and black tailed ...

the all gloss black 43 Sqn bird looks cool

Or a UK based line CG/BG/LAG  (always loved the 56 (R) Sqn markings throughout their history, or maybe one from Op Telic ... 

Helllllllllpppppppp meeeeeee

any suggestions appreciated 🤣

• Like 3

• Tim Moff changed the title to The other Tim's 1/48 Italeri Panavia Tornado F.3 - ZE785 of the F3 OEU, RAF Waddington May 2003

Ok decision made - the red tailed ZE785 of the F3 OEU, based at RAF Waddington in 2003 it is....

To that end I decided to get out and get some paint on... I dipped the glass in the ‘just like glass’ bottle last night and left in the garage - still damp and I smudged it so had to redo.... so redipped and now inside hopefully will dry a bit quicker ...time is ticking so I masked the pit area and started.

Gonna go with the Mr Paint Camouflage Grey and Light Aircraft Grey.

prepped by spraying the fin CG as the leading edge is CG and will need masking before moving on to the black area on the fin. I’m thinking such a light grey will be fine to put the red over...

will mask off that area (waiting on Mr Color C327 FS11136 to arrive !) and get some Mr Surfacer 1500 black on.

plan is to get the LAG on the bottom, first going to mottle the whole airframe less the tail with some lighter/darker greys etc to try to give some variation in tones... anyone whose done that before, Can I ask what colours did you use under the main colours?

then I will get the CG on the upper surfaces once the LAG masked.

will then finish of with the tail and other metallic areas etc...

Pylons LAG

Hindenbergers in LAG?

Skyflash LAG?

AIM9s Fs36375 ?

interestingly some of the references show the ASRAAM AIM132 rounds being carried (probably being evaluated!) and the outer rails carried (seem empty) - not sure if the put on sky shadow and BOZ pods ? If I hang them I will need to drill out the filled holes! 

lecpQGh.jpg

• Like 3