AGM-65 use Vietnam

SC2015

Hello,

after great help here on a future project I like to ask you for help on another potential future project.

I´m a huge fan of Vietnam war aviation but am not a big friend of the typical load outs with unguided ordnance.

One of the projects I have in mind is a Vietnam area aircraft with AGM-65 Mavericks.

As far as the literature goes the first combat use in SEA was around end 72/beginning 73.

Aircrafts used were USAF A-7 and F-4.

But what I can not find are pictures and what kind of targets it was used against.

Can somebody here provide pictures of Mavericks in Vietnam?

Cheers

SC2015

Never heard about Mavericks in Vietnam. If so, it will be very difficult to find out which plane from which unit had it fired. 

Standoff weapons in Vietnam were AGM-62 Walleye and the Bullpup B and C, Shrike and Standard ARM.

Edited by Taylor Durbon

I will ask Jim Rotramel (MrVark)....expert in that area.

USN didn't have them....USAF....don't know for sure.  It was just coming into inventory.  I know we sent a bunch to the IAF at the tail end of the YKW in '73.  

Cheers

Collin

Pics of them in Vietnam may be hard to find however as mentioned other PGMs were used like the Walleye if you wish to go that route.

50216120087_7467c3ab81_b.jpg

On pg 12 in this has another F-4D with Walleye loaded:

https://www.afhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/APH-Summer-2020-Vol-67-No-2-All.pdf

and on pg 18, and others, the GBU-8.

Jari

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Mr Vark:

About 30 AGM-65As were fired during an operational evaluation in Vietnam. Four hundred AGM-65As were transferred from U. S. stocks to Israel during the 1973 War with 69 of those being expended. Of these first 99 launches, 87 hit their intended targets.

555th

I’m trying to upload the photo. F-4D or E with triple rail launcher 3xAGM-65A’s

12 hours ago, Collin said:

From Mr Vark:

About 30 AGM-65As were fired during an operational evaluation in Vietnam. Four hundred AGM-65As were transferred from U. S. stocks to Israel during the 1973 War with 69 of those being expended. Of these first 99 launches, 87 hit their intended targets.

555th

I’m trying to upload the photo. F-4D or E with triple rail launcher 3xAGM-65A’s

Thank you Collin, I already figured it was just operational evaluation.

Seems I will have to cancel my project "USAF A-7 with Mavericks in Vietnam" and look for something different to put on it.

Edited by SC2015

15 hours ago, Taylor Durbon said:

Never heard about Mavericks in Vietnam.

That´s the interesting part about the Vietnam area.

Technology and technics Air Forces still relays on today were invented (or made their first steps) during that timeframe.  

Unfortunately the guided weapon program was highly classified so not too many information and images are available or have been published since. 

Think about the TOW. Also made its combat debut in South East Asia during the Easter offensive 72 but I only know two pictures showing it on a Huey.

Same for the Pave Spike. Heard it has been evaluated during the last days in Vietnam but never saw any picture to proof it right 

Note that the AGM-65 versions with the shaped-charge warhead (such as A,B, and D) have a black band around the warhead section instead of the familiar yellow 'high explosive" marking. Black denoting "armor defeating".

Was also curious about their use in the Vietnam war, thanks for the topic. :) Sorry but what "operational evaluation" actually mean though? They were used on targets right? bridges? Ships?

Sounds like we got them quite quickly for our AJ 37s then, ordered in 1975, delievered 1977-78? That is not too bad..

And SAAB was actually making their own variant (RB 04B) from the RB 05A similar to the Bullpops..

• Like 1