Good ways to rough up cast armour?

Brad

Soviet armour was far rougher than US castings. One method that I have seen used (but not tried myself) is to apply a thin liquid glue (such as MEK), and then immediately sprinkle talcum powder over it.

John.

• Like 1

Depends on whether you are going for the 'artistic' or the 'realistic' effect.

In 1/35 scale, a scale cast texture is going to look quite subtle, which is why a lot of modellers go for the 'overscale' roughness - because it looks better visually.

A method I use regularly is to gently texture the surface with a slow-drying liquid cement which softens the surface of the plastic slightly and then stipple it with an old paintbrush until the surface has gone solid (take an old paintbrush and chop down the bristles until they are 3-4mm from the ferule). You can then clean up any excess roughness with a few passes of a fine sanding stick.

For a rougher texture, I use a small dental burr in a mini drill. Run the drill at low speed and very gently 'bounce' the rotating drill bit across the surface of the plastic. It takes out little chunks of plastic and creates a rougher surface. Always, always do this slowly and gently and don't be tempted to keep repeating the process too many times.

• Like 1

I've been liquifying Tamiya putty with Tamiya Extra Thin cement, and brushing, stippling, this onto the surface of the object.

You can vary the effect to differing degrees, with a stiffer brush, thick or thin mixture, etc.

As seen here....

spacer.png

• Like 2

I like just brushing the surface with a slow setting thicker liquid poly like Humbrol or the white cap Tamiya.  Leave it to work for a few moments and then work the nylon brush provided with the bottle over the surface in random patterns.  Can be done over again for greater or lesser effect.  Can be sanded back if a little too rough.  I guess you could use other tools like a toothbrush.

Also works for blending in separate pieces that were cast or welded on, like lifting rings, towing lugs etc.  And softens the often too-hard edges of some moulded cast small parts.

If you fill small gaps, like the annoying final drive bulge joins on M4 bolted noses, with stretched sprue you can blend that all together with liquid poly rather than faffing with putty.

For rough-cut edges, roughen the edge with a coarse file and brush over with liquid poly.

TOP TIP - work in good ventilation for short periods and/or wear a fume respirator!

The worst casting I've ever seen are Canadian Ram hulls and turrets........

• Like 1

Thanks guys, some great ideas here. I checked my kit and it actually comes with molded in surface detail haha oh well. I really liked the filler idea but didn't have any, I experimented with automotive body filler and an old brush. Slap some on, let it dry for a minute or two then work the surface, came out looking really nice, just enough roughness to look good without overdoing it. I will keep this in mind for future builds!