*Finished* RFI Coming Soon. Converting an ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.VII to a PR X

mark.au

41 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, this looks gorgeous, your paint fading looks very effective, great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out so far.  Trying now to not screw it up!

• Like 1

Unless I’m mistaken, the collective was too polite to tell me I buggered up the wing walk line on the starboard wing... 🤦‍♂️  I’m quite sure that there’s no line parallel to the fuselage on that wing, as there is on the port wing.

To save me from further error, what is the thought on whether the wing walk lines would have been repainted when the D-Day stripes were covered?

Thanks in advance.

Then again...   Some reading gives this and other threads...

...which say that a wing built with two radiators some time in late 1943 and onwards, would have had the line to the trailing edge on the starboard wing too.  Crisis averted, and apologies for doubting the collective.

Edited by mark.au
Typo - and then to correct myself
  • Like 2

Some progress since my stream-of-consciousness post above...

spacer.png

I've essentially completed the underside.  There were a few stencil decals to apply which went on with little trouble.  Next I tried, unsuccessfully actually, to accent the control surfaces and some selected panels with a wash.  For some reason I just couldn't that to look the way I wanted it to so I applied the first flat coat and resorted to a black technical pencil to fill the lines and then I wiped that back with a cotton bud to soften it a bit.  I then went to town with the pastel chalks for the grime and stains.  I sealed that with the final flat coat, with more applied to the "older" paint on the wing tips and fuselage.  Lastly, I used some Tamiya "Smoke" for the Spitfire oil staining; I used that as it has a sheen to it, same as wet oil.  Note; the white dot is the Micro Krystal Klear before it becomes clear.

The images are bit grainy, the paint finish is actually smoother than these pics suggest.

spacer.png

Then I added the undercarriage, which I messed up the first time leading to having to break off the starboard gear and reapplying - don't ask!  The pitot tube was next and then I fashioned a representation of the antenna housing seen on the underside of the fuselage just aft of the cameras and attached that.

Left to do on this one...  Upper surfaces finish and weathering, the wing fuel tank vents, the canopy and rear glass (still don't know what to call that), the propeller, whip antenna, exhausts, unmask and clean up the windscreen framing.

• Like 7

A small update; quickly completed the wing fuel vents today.  I used fine wire which I bent to shape and painted last night, and simply inserted them into a couple of holes I drilled in the wings.  They’re not glues but have a nice fit - I’ll be able to adjust the starboard vent as in the close up pic it appears slightly turned inboard.

spacer.png

I think the Roundels look a little too dark at the moment, a bit to be expected as this is still the gloss coat, but I think I’ll need to address this during weathering as well.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 5

I'm now stalled as I'm still waiting for the grey number/letter decal sheet I ordered from H to arrive down here in Sydney.  I've flat coated, weathered and sealed the wings and fuselage up to the overpainted D-Day stripes; removed the masking, attached the rear canopy and tested fitted the main canopy.  I need to leave the rear fuselage glossy for the S/N decals so I can't finish off the weathering or such, nor install the oblique camera until the decals arrive and I can apply them.   I have a couple of minor tasks on the underside remaining also, but I reckon there's not much more than a couple of hours' work left on this one.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi Mark

Re the stb walkway, never doubted you fella.  

This looks absolutely stunning, hope your decals arrive soon , I ordered a kit from BNA Model World recently and it took about three weeks to arrive.  

Great work with a pencil too I have used the pencil when panel lines are too shallow to take a wash.  

I am currently doing a Hobbyboss  Mk vb and they  provide decals for walkways to both sides as per a two radiator  bird. Some of their stencilling is very small and odd too, luckily I still have a spare sheet from the Revell MkII I have been using to correct the HB kit and will use the stencilling from that.   

I do like your finish so far and can't wait to see your decals  go on, it will look awesome. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark

Re the stb walkway, never doubted you fella.  

This looks absolutely stunning, hope your decals arrive soon , I ordered a kit from BNA Model World recently and it took about three weeks to arrive

Thanks mate, appreciate the comments.  The decals shipped out of H on the 3rd of this month so hopefully they’ll arrive this week coming.  Seems weirdly coincidental a UK-based modeller buying from BNA in Australia while an Aussie-based one buys from H in the UK!

I buy a lot of my supplies from BNA, their service is great and as they’re in Melbourne nothing takes very long to arrive in Sydney; but for kits I often use Frontline Hobbies in Newcastle, NSW.  They have a pretty good selection.

So where/when do we get to see your Mk Vb ?   Never mind, I found it! 

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Seems weirdly coincidental a UK-based modeller buying from BNA in Australia while an Aussie-based one buys from H in the UK!

Hi Mark,  yes it does doesn't it. I have used them a few times,  I needed the OZ mods Hudson tailplane initially, for a PRU blue Hudson I will be building and they were very good so have got other bits since, there is not much in the way of model shops near me a stationers in Folkestone some 15 miles away is great for paint, some plasticard etc, but now mostly use Ebay or Hannants  and some others on line. 

The Spitfire is a bit of a long-term project with a break of a year or so , but decals are going on.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

spacer.png

It's hard to make out, and looking at other pics is inconclusive (to me); did the PR Spitfires, and the PR X in particular have the dorsal fuselage light fitted?  I've seen drawings with them omitted, but not sure if that's a deliberate omission or not.  Thx.

...and unless I'm very mistaken this thread linked below contains if not the direct answer, then enough evidence to show that there was no dorsal light on these Spitfires.  I note also that I can't see the light on pics of Mk VII's either, from whence my PR X would have come.

I'll thank Troy again, by proxy :)

Edited by mark.au
Answered my own question

Still waiting for the decals....  It occurred to me that I hadn't detailed some of the conversion elements so here's a composite image of the anatomy of the conversion to the PRX (at least, as afar as I was able to take it)...

spacer.png

The top two images show the Lobelle canopy's hinge arrangement as best I could represent it; the filled access door to the cockpit, as well as the black rubber seal around the windscreen and along the canopy rails which I replicated with very fine wire panted black.  Middle left picture shows the wing tank filler and vent, the lower left the Quickboost exhausts (not specific to the PRX but much nicer than the kit parts) and bottom right the Bowser Wing .  Not shown here but seen previously up-thread is the camera hatch on the starboard side.

I'm itching to finish this one... my patience may run out.  I've considered placing a piece of tape over the fuselage where the S/N will go and then finishing the kit around that.  I might well do that actually, if the decals don't arrive tomorrow.

• Like 6

On 11/17/2020 at 5:16 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Don't lose patience fellayou might end up regretting.

Thanks for the wise words Chris....  I managed to hold out and the postman came today.

spacer.png

This one will be finished over the weekend.

• Like 2

Fascinating build. I plan to do one someday, and have most of the Quickboost sets you used. Interesting to see what was needed to make the cowling fit. I don't know if I will use one of my ICM kits, or try an Eduard kit. I don't have any Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfires, only their 1/32 Mk.Vb, which I will convert to a SAAF recce bird (Someday).

Larry

8 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I don't know if I will use one of my ICM kits, or try an Eduard kit.

Thanks for the comments.  If I were to do this again I’d likely use the Airfix PR XIX and graft on a nose.  I’ve found the most tedious part of this build to be the wings and the Airfix kit has the advantage of the correct wing from the box.  Using an Edward kit would entail wing work and a lot of the finer detail the kit possesses might be lost.  I do think the ICM kits are pretty good out of the box, especially for the price, but not so much for conversion work.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent news, that is great, looking forward to seeing it decalled up and striped. 

Chris

Almost there!  Cheers, Chris.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Thanks for the comments.  If I were to do this again I’d likely use the Airfix PR XIX and graft on a nose.  I’ve found the most tedious part of this build to be the wings and the Airfix kit has the advantage of the correct wing from the box.  Using an Edward kit would entail wing work and a lot of the finer detail the kit possesses might be lost.  I do think the ICM kits are pretty good out of the box, especially for the price, but not so much for conversion work.

Almost there!  Cheers, Chris.

Which kit would you recommend for the nose, and would you still need to use the resin nose part for the enlarged oil tank?

Larry

I’d go with a Hasegawa nose as it’s dimensionally ok and the QB lower cowl is designed for that kit which should eliminate much of the fit issues I had with the ICM.

Edited to add that this is pretty much what @Troy Smith recommend I do back in the first place!

Edited by mark.au

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

I’d go with a Hasegawa nose as it’s dimensionally ok and the QB lower cowl is designed for that kit which should eliminate much of the fit issues I had with the ICM.

Edited to add that this is pretty much what @Troy Smith recommend I do back in the first place!

Unfortunately, I don't have any Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfires, but I do have a few Airfix PRXIX kits, as well as a few each of ICM, Ocidental & Eduard Spitfire kits.

Larry

(ADDED) One of my Ocidental Spitfire Mk.IXe kits has the Airwaves Spirfire PR Mk.XI conversions (SC48051), which is designed for the Ocidental Spitfire Mk.IX kits.

Plus, I have two each of the Quickboost sets.

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

30 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Unfortunately, I don't have any Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfires, but I do have a few Airfix PRXIX kits, as well as a few each of ICM, Ocidental & Eduard Spitfire kits.

Larry

(ADDED) One of my Ocidental Spitfire Mk.IXe kits has the Airwaves Spirfire PR Mk.XI conversions (SC48051), which is designed for the Ocidental Spitfire Mk.IX kits.

Plus, I have two each of the Quickboost sets.

Hi Larry

This is Mark's original request thread,  where I made various suggestions

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080385-spitfire-mkx-which-148-kit-to-start-from/

There is also @Jim Kiker PR XI conversion.   If you can source a new prop, Ultracast do one, as well as other AM I think,. You maybe able to make a Merlin 60 nose from alternate spares, as in an early Eduard upper cowl (the ICM is a bit narrow). and ICM sides parts, with the Quickboost lower cowl. 

Various ways to do this, but note the Eduard Merlin 60 kits really have a serious edge on any other kits, the are ICM  ok, slim upper fuselage, too small spinner, oversized prop blades, poor wheel hubs and a bit basic in the cockpit and wheel wells. 

the Occidental has some airframe shape issues,  do some comparisons with the Eduard to see what I mean,  wing is too broad, and cowling is off, too low thrust line, though the too low thrust line can be used to make the deeper PR oil tank, by moving the spinner up and raising to upper cowl line, easy as it's separate, I started doing. PR X using one ages ago, and that bit worked quite well

HTH

• Like 1

• mark.au changed the title to *Finished* RFI Coming Soon. Converting an ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.VII to a PR X
14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow looks Gorgeous Mark, lovely finish and love the restrained weathering , great job fella, what's the next project fella?

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Next up is my take on “Lou IV” with either an Eduard or Airfix 1/48 kit, haven’t made up my mind on which.

• Like 1