“America’s greatest contribution to modern warfare”

06/24

“Good Lord, I don’t think we could continue the war without the jeep, it does everything. It goes everywhere. It’s as faithful as a dog, strong as a mule, and as agile as a goat. It constantly carries twice what it was designed for, and keeps on going. It doesn’t even ride so badly after you get used to it.” Ernie Pyle

As some light relief from my Rolls Royce armoured car, and to make use of my holiday days without spending them entirely in scratch building the bits Meng messed up, I turned to one of my favourite kits of all time.  Unbelievably the Tamiya “new” jeep is 23 years old, and I’ve no idea how many I’ve built in that time, but let’s say more than several...

Whereas the Rolls Royce featured a hand built chassis and engine, the Jeep was a product of the mass production era, built in its thousands, (more than 640,000 during the war). And so it is with the models, the Meng Rolls Royce needs care and a degree of craftsmanship (which means I could be in trouble!) whereas the Tamiya Jeep really is as close to shake the box as it gets.

It may lack some of the finer details of the Bronco, Meng and Takom offerings, and we may yet see some of them built too, but it builds into something that is unmistakably a Jeep, and when it was first released it was, in my opinion, better than any Jeep kit that had preceded it.

So here we have the product of about two hours work, most of that being cleaning up the barely noticeable mould seams, some of which could easily be skipped if I wasn’t feeling fastidious.

50509361498_2f26145b77_c.jpgTamiya 1/35 scale Jeep by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50510236982_f76480a024_c.jpgTamiya 1/35 scale Jeep by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50510236947_3a7bcf5835_c.jpgTamiya 1/35 scale Jeep by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Oh, and the title? General George C. Marshall.

Edited by 06/24
Spelling
  • Like 7

Such a nice kit ... few little bits missing which have you scratching your head...like no foot pedals...but otherwise a really simple kit and good looking when finished will follow along if i may.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Pedals, and hood and screen T latches, are the main omissions I’m aware of, is there anything else significant? I have a plan for the latches, as I think my Takom version in the stash may have spares.

• Like 1

A primer/witness coat of Humbrol Desert Tan on the front end, ready for the radiator to be painted and fitted. Haven’t touched the rear at this stage as there are still items to fit, but wanted to take advantage of an unexpected dry day and get some paint down while I could, the front also needed paint before the bonnet/hood is fitted and makes access impossible.

50524352512_dfcc0a8c01_c.jpg1/35 Tamiya Willys MB Jeep - British Army North Africa by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50523460588_f3c9d8a2d1_c.jpg1/35 Tamiya Willys MB Jeep - British Army North Africa by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

Hi Jon I hope you don't mind if I follow, always been fascinated by the Jeeps of that era...

I think that Morris did a UK version too, possibly RR powered.....(I've probably got myself mixed up there, what's more iconic than a US Jeep!!)

Good luck with the build (you're almost finished!)

Geoff

16 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Jon I hope you don't mind if I follow, always been fascinated by the Jeeps of that era...

I think that Morris did a UK version too, possibly RR powered.....(I've probably got myself mixed up there, what's more iconic than a US Jeep!!)

Good luck with the build (you're almost finished!)

Geoff

Followers welcome, not that I’m convinced my builds offer much education or entertainment.

I wonder if you’re thinking of the post-war Austin Champ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Champ

I’m not aware of any real wartime British equivalent to the Jeep, the Tilly in its various forms was rear wheel drive only, like the German equivalent the Kubelwagen? I’m not sure if some of the heavier Humber cars might have been 4wd. 

That is the prototype photo I’m using for inspiration. Unless I’m mistaken the Jeep pictured has the earlier black steering wheel.

Not much progress this week, but the driver now has arms and is fixed to the steering wheel, even a well sculpted figure like this was hard to get with a natural look against the hard bits of the kit, model figures just aren’t as squishy as the real thing! I cast envious glances at those with the talent to sculpt their own.

50544421873_7468fb0823_c.jpgThe Bodi British driver, 1/35 scale by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50545151836_defac27ab8_c.jpgThe Bodi British driver, 1/35 scale by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

I’ve replaced the kit windshield with one from the Bronco kit, as it’s a quicker route to a plain frame without the fittings for a US style rifle rack. It’s not glued in place, as it still needs the glass fitted. Debating how to mask the glass if I fit before paint. Well, not so much how, more trying to find the motivation as masking is not one of my favourite things.

• Like 1