Lesson Learned

FrankJ

Just started painting using my first ever airbrush (Ultra 2-1), I was short of a white gloss paint for my current project, slowly changing brands suitable for airbrushing.

I had a small amount of Revell Aqua left which I used for hairy sticks and there was enough left to do what I needed via the airbrush or so I thought.

I used some Tamiya x20-A thinner to thin the revell aqua down, poured it into the cup started spraying which stopped after 2 or 3 seconds, the paint had blocked the nozzle which was full of gunge. Ended up having to strip the airbrush to clean up.

I doubt I will be using Revell Aqua for airbrushing again. 

Ah, the old jelly in your paint cup gotcha! :lol: We all learn that lesson eventually, hopefully by listening to other people's horror stories.  latex based acrylic paints do not like IPA much, and HATE thinners for enamels or lacquers.  You'll have to clean the airbrush thoroughly to get rid, but it shouldn't do any lasting damage unless you clean it with a hammer and chisel ^_^

Revell aqua thins ok with their own acrylic thinner. The stuff is incredibly thick to start with though. The matt and semigloss colours can spray pretty well. I've been struggling with the gloss white as well - in order to make it sprayable you seem to have to compromise on its opacity - it therefore needs lots of thin coats and it's hard to get the mix right on all of them given that it can be too thick to suck into the pipette for mixing. Cleaning the pipettes is also a nightmare.