Long decal advice on applying

LaurieS

Have these 9" long decals. Not had experience of laying such long decals.

Made more difficult as they have to be accurate as the decals have the window are cut out.

Would you consider cutting into segments ? on perhaps mid or the side of a window.

This is the decal to be fitted. The decal is a combination of the two red & the white strips.

any advice very welcome & much appreciated.

Laurie

http://AaXYC3.jpg

It would depend what the decals are like - some are much more forgiving (allow some movement, don't fall to pieces) than others. Unless I was confident on the decal quality (and possibly anyway) I would paint the white base them mask and paint the red stripes. This might be more time consuming, but less stressful as you can really take your time to get the masking spot on

Cheers

Colin

Cutting into segments is a good solution and often makes for a much more relaxing job. How many segments and where to cut are things that depend on the design and how confident you are. In general the idea is to cut in a way that will allow you to achieve the best possible alignment of all various segments while at the same time allowing an easier application of all parts.

I don't know if cutting into segments would be necessary on this particular kit as I've not built it. Airfix recent kit decals are usually of good quality, so they may behave well even if left in one single piece. At the same time I decided to cut aftermarket decals that I knew were of good quality because I didn't trust my patience more than not trusting the decals...

There is one thing to check first though: the decal should not be brittle, as brittle decals can splinter when cut. With recent Airfix decals this should not be a problem as they are, as said above, of good quality. In any case, better check on a bit that you know you don't need.

13 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Cutting into segments is a good solution and often makes for a much more relaxing job. How many segments and where to cut are things that depend on the design and how confident you are. In general the idea is to cut in a way that will allow you to achieve the best possible alignment of all various segments while at the same time allowing an easier application of all parts.

I don't know if cutting into segments would be necessary on this particular kit as I've not built it. Airfix recent kit decals are usually of good quality, so they may behave well even if left in one single piece. At the same time I decided to cut aftermarket decals that I knew were of good quality because I didn't trust my patience more than not trusting the decals...

There is one thing to check first though: the decal should not be brittle, as brittle decals can splinter when cut. With recent Airfix decals this should not be a problem as they are, as said above, of good quality. In any case, better check on a bit that you know you don't need.

Thanks Georgio great advice. I had considered masking up & airbrushing. However on the Viscount I recently finished it also had Vallejo metal Color & found it does not welcome very kindly masking.

Otherwise I would have gone down that route.

Laurie

5 hours ago, LaurieS said:

However on the Viscount I recently finished it also had Vallejo metal Color & found it does not welcome very kindly masking.

This can be a problem with metal finishes. Where possible I apply the metal finish after painting everything else. and so avoid the problem, but if I have no option I've found Parafilm M to be a safe masking medium over metal (though I not tried it with Vallejo)

Cheers

Colin

41 minutes ago, ckw said:

This can be a problem with metal finishes. Where possible I apply the metal finish after painting everything else. and so avoid the problem, but if I have no option I've found Parafilm M to be a safe masking medium over metal (though I not tried it with Vallejo)

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin much appreciated. Going to give the metal a coat of varnish & hope that this works. I use Alcald 11 Lacquer Aqua which is thin. Fingers crossed.

Laurie