23 hours ago, 825 said:

Thanks Tony. Magna provide a length of brass wire for that purpose, which is threaded through a couple of holes in the canopy. I've already drilled the holes in the wings out and very carefully drilled through the canopy. I've trimmmed the canopy to size, But it'll need a bit more cleaning up to remove the blu-tack residue inside. I usually do most of the masking before fitting which may be best as although the panels are big compared to say a Fulmar it's quite complex. Then the next challenge is whether to paint before or after adding the wings. It's coming together bit by bit and the build is enjoyable but some of the work is painstaking. It took me about 3 hours to trim the canopy off the surround and get it to fit. I know now why I prefer injection moulded. 

I also drilled and pinned the lower wimgs with lengths of a paper clip as I wasn't too confident that a butt joint would be strong enough, especially as they have to support the upper wing too. 

Good luck,.... it is worth the effort,..... I painted the upper wings separately on mine, made it easier. 

This is it,..... made it well over 20 years ago! 

Albacore-Torch-Magna-Resin-use-this-one.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 10:53 PM, tonyot said:

Good luck,.... it is worth the effort,..... I painted the upper wings separately on mine, made it easier. 

This is it,..... made it well over 20 years ago! 

Albacore-Torch-Magna-Resin-use-this-one.

This a lovely build Tony, I just hope I get somewhere close t your build. 

I'm moving along, bit by bit. Most of the painting s done but I couldn't find my bottle of Night and have used black notepad but to a bit stark and frankly too black. I've ordered some new pant from Hannants but am still awaiting. It took forever to trim the canopy and its now been dipped in Kleer and awaits masking which will be time consuming as the frames are not very distinct n the vac. I'll have to build it up from reference photos. 

Here's where we are now. 

resized_b36daac1-9ed2-4b4a-9a5e-f939003b

The canopy just sat on to check fit. It will need a little blending in. 

resized_5b502656-81be-45cc-a068-06165247

• Like 7

Great stuff @825

That brings back memories of my Magna Henley, I was terrified of ruining the canopy then as it was almost devoid of any framing marks had to base it on pictures. The end result was good however so more power to your elbow old mate 

cheers Pat

On 12/22/2020 at 9:00 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff @825

That brings back memories of my Magna Henley, I was terrified of ruining the canopy then as it was almost devoid of any framing marks had to base it on pictures. The end result was good however so more power to your elbow old mate 

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, as you can see below I've now got the canopy on. I um'd and haw'd whether to mask it before fixing or afterwards. It'll be a bit more awkward with it in place but I'm glad I did it as took a fair bit of work to get it in place and to fit. The transparency kept want to rise up when using Krystal Kleer so in the end I had to use cyano. Then had to clean up my mess. 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, tonyot said:

Looking good,.... the black isn`t too bad either,.... maybe brush on some dust pigment after painting?  

There's only a few days to go Tony so I might go with that. It hasn't helped that when I checked the bottle of Night was still in my basket at Hannants along with the IIIF I was also waiting for.  I'd forgotten to check out!  Anyway it's on its way now but I suspect it'll be caught up with the Christmas post backlog. 

resized_e75f1074-bcab-4fbe-8926-98eafd43

• Like 5