A-1E Skyraider, `War Monger`, 1st Air Commando Squadron, Pleiku AB

Brings back memories. Spent a year just a mile north of Pleiku AFB, a base camp called Engineer Hill. Got over to the air base with some frequency. It was the only place for a hundred miles where you could get a real American hamburger. The Army had B rations (think a perfectly circular pork chop coming out of a can). I remember one evening about 7PM when an AF pilot threw one all over the sky in an amazing aerobatic show. My guess is that he went home the next day.

that is exactly what the looked like. Great job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, Booty003 said:

Another superb model for the collection Russ - hairy stick finish as usual?

The little diorama setting really adds life to the model - do you do figures at all?

Always a pleasure seeing your 'Nam builds mate, top work.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I don`t really do figures, I`m crap at doing faces, If there`s a figure in the kit I sometimes paint it up but it usually gets binned.

Yup hairy sticked as always.

Cheers Russ 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Brings back memories. Spent a year just a mile north of Pleiku AFB, a base camp called Engineer Hill. Got over to the air base with some frequency. It was the only place for a hundred miles where you could get a real American hamburger. The Army had B rations (think a perfectly circular pork chop coming out of a can). I remember one evening about 7PM when an AF pilot threw one all over the sky in an amazing aerobatic show. My guess is that he went home the next day.

that is exactly what the looked like. Great job!

Thanks TG, always good to get a positive reply from someone with a connection to the subject. Hope they were happy memories.

Cheers Russ

Another great effort with excellent results from you Russ.  You`re making me jealous.  There`s a lot to like about your “Spad” here.  Very nice!!!!!

:worthy:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Showed this one to my friend who flew them and also A-1H's in country- he gave it a thumbs-up, so you should be proud! Gotta love the R-3350- check the fuel and top off the oil! Jim said he wished his was as clean as this one! :giggle:

Mike

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Showed this one to my friend who flew them and also A-1H's in country- he gave it a thumbs-up, so you should be proud! Gotta love the R-3350- check the fuel and top off the oil! Jim said he wished his was as clean as this one! :giggle:

Mike

Thanks Mike, yeah, I chickened out of dirtying it up too much. There`s a great photo of one in flight in an Osprey book I got, that just looks black down the sides from exhausts to tail that inspired me. Still it must have been clean at some time 😀

Cheers Russ 

• 1 month later...

Hello Russ,

Very (very) impressive diorama.

Construction complete and photographs. Ten out of ten points from this Dutchman.

Good example to get other modelers over the treshold to start with diorama's.

It makes the models so much more complete.

Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Konstantin Marchenko said:

Why nearly everyone who builds AD5 - bash a kit with Tamiya? Are there serious issues with the MB wing geometry?

Why did you decide not to mix?

Thanks 

Thanks Konstantin, I presume it`s because of the filling, panel lines, trailing edge thickness, lack of undercarriage bay detail................... OK it`s because I`m too tight to waste a Tamiya kit plus the cost of the Matchbox Revell kit 😀

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1