Revell's Long Forgotten 1/48th F-15A Eagle

Way back in 1977 Revell released kit H-288 which was a 1/48th scale McDonnell-Douglas F-15A Eagle. It could be completed as the record breaking 'Streak Eagle' or a 58th TFTW 'Candy Cane' Eagle out of Luke AFB. I made this kit many years ago and in a fit of nostalgia bought one on eBay for literally pennies and instantly regretted doing so, it really isn't a particularly good kit. When Revell and Monogram merged the way superior former Monogram offering became the 'Revell' F-15A and this kit was quietly dropped from the catalogue. To be honest, I was going to bin it as not worth the effort however it was saved by...

A couple of months ago I posted an 'FF' coded early F-15A in air superiority blue, this was the Monogram kit using the Caracal Models F-15 "The Early Years" decals. I really liked several of the other options on the decal sheet so I decided to go for F-15A 71-0283 which was the fourth Eagle built and conducted structural tests. In her later years she was painted overall gloss white with orange/red panels and I thought that this was worth a try on my old Revell kit. I decided to build her OOB, not to spend too much time on her, however this would be my first serious attempt at scribing panel lines. The result is as follows:

50502466853_0b61528b56_o.jpg20201018_124745 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I painted the white areas with Halfords Appliance White and was happy with the result. I have used this paint before and am comfortable with the technique that should be used.

50503185451_d5e1e65e15_o.jpg20201018_124807 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The orange paint was Vallejo 70.910 Orange Red applied with a Badger 200-9 gravity feed airbrush. I have had a nightmare year trying to apply acrylic paints using an airbrush, thanks to advice here and another forum I have got the hang of acrylics and this was my first successful application on a large model.

50503339622_a551eeb270_o.jpg20201018_124825 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The fit of the kit wasn't good. I had to use filler on the nose cone join, the nose section to the main body, the wings to fuselage, and the air intakes. I did what I had to do so that the model would be presentable from a four foot distance! Such are my high standards...

50503339562_4ac034512c_o.jpg20201018_124918 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Although it really does not show in these photos I am very pleased with the results of the scribing that I did on this raised panel line kit. I chose the F-15A Eagle because it has so many flat surfaces, I understand that it was nicknamed "The Tennis Court". I used an old dental tool to do the scribing and the old Revell plastic was soft enough to be able to scribe without any problems. My first scribe!

50502466533_a108fdd3ab_o.jpg20201018_125030 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The decals are a mixture. The 'F-15' logos and the serial number are from the Caracal Models F-15 "The Early Years" decals set. All the other decals are from the Monogram kit or the spares box. Caracal have covered the F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18 aircraft so far in their innovative "The Early Years" decals sets and I hope for more aircraft that I remember from my teen years in the early 70's.

50502466323_4e5ef3fdd2_o.jpg20201018_125406 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

My final photo is this build with the Monogram F-15A that I completed a short while back using the same decal set.

50502466243_8a115d0224_o.jpgIMGP3988 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

For some reason I am very happy with this build. The original kit isn't great to say the least, however with decent paints and excellent decals plus my scribing it earns a place in the display cabinet. I have a couple more old Monogram Eagles so maybe more to come? Michael

50503339252_fba36c1e27_o.jpgIMGP3982 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

I like it! Overall, I think you did a nice job on the paint work. Neither white or orange are easy to paint and get a good finish with, so you have something to be proud of.

• Like 1

Great!

Yes, more big Eagles please!

The re-scribing unfortunately can't be seen, either a good( you did it very well!) Or bad thing ...

You could weather it a bit with some grey oils to highlight the panels just a bit...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Great!

Yes, more big Eagles please!

The re-scribing unfortunately can't be seen, either a good( you did it very well!) Or bad thing ...

You could weather it a bit with some grey oils to highlight the panels just a bit...

Thanks, good point! I will try some grey oils to bring the panels out a bit more 👍

Michael

• Like 1

Really nice nostalgia build. Old kits are often  really challenging to  build  neatly and you  really pulled it off , especially  in  a scheme   like that which really  demands   neat and tidy workmanship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

For some reason I am very happy with this build.

I think you should be - it looks great! 👍 Looking at it you wouldn't be able to tell it's the old Revell clunker, you've done a top job on it!

Keith

• Like 1

Great result from that kit. Thanks for sharing your memories. Actually I have memories for that kit too: My sister and I went to the local hobby shop with our dad in the late 70s or early 80s. My sister got that kit, which she did in the Candy Cane scheme. I still think I came out better though: I got the Esci F-16A course I instantly loved the shape of it. Still remember my dad saying that it is science fiction 😁. Did it up in Belgian markings in the SEA scheme, as they had their 104s. Good days...

Edited by Plastikschrottler
Update
  • Like 1