Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 16 Sqn 1990

rafalbert

Well, I must be insane but I feel the need to build the Revell kit alongside the Hasegawa one. I have a Braz replacement nose and the plan is to do it in the 16 Sqn 1990 black scheme as it looks pretty cool. Work starts asap...

IMG_20201017_163621

• Like 4

That is a great angle Al and is very helpful, thank you!

On 10/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, 128fiddler said:

Cool picture Al with that pink skyshadow! Nice subject. Not much full colour special shemes on RAF Tonkas, were there? Maybe the only one?

I know that 43 Sqn did a gloss black F3, and I have a feeling that TTE may have done something but I am not sure. There were not many to say the least, especially considering what the Germans have done to many of theirs.

I have been cracking on, using the Braz radome instead of the kit part. Annoyingly it was slightly wider than the kit so has taken a fair bit of fettling to fit flush and still needs a bit more to finish off.

IMG_20201024_210008

The rest of the fuselage/wings/tailplane went together without too many dramas and a little PPP.

IMG_20201024_205949

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it took a lot of blending but seems ok. The airframe has now been assembled and given a coat of primer. A few areas need to be addressed before I can think of applying the black.

IMG_20201116_181025

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Looks to have come together nicely for you :)

Nope, unfortunately I found it a worse fit than the Hasegawa! I am obviously doing something wrong but am persevering regardless, and hoping to start applying the black today.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Nope, unfortunately I found it a worse fit than the Hasegawa! I am obviously doing something wrong but am persevering regardless, and hoping to start applying the black today.

You and me both! I've had all sorts of fit issues. But it's a Tornado, so worth persevering with - especially in that black scheme!

Al

• Like 2

Ok, all decalled and given a flat coat all over except for satin on the radome. It is not a great picture as it looks massively washed out so the next one will be in natural light! Now to sort all the metallic areas, undercarriage, tanks etc.

IMG_20201204_170433

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, done. Rushed in the end so it is not great, and a blade aerial and one of the wingtip lights pinged into oblivion so will have to sort them in the future. I love the scheme but hated the kit. The fit was not great and overly complicated in places, plus considering the kit was a first release there was a good deal of flash all over. After the events of the last week I am glad it is done and can go on the shelf.

IMG_20201220_111053 IMG_20201220_111105 IMG_20201220_111113 IMG_20201220_111113 IMG_20201220_111133

• Like 1

She looks very smart in that scheme - definitely worth the effort.

If you're ever motivated to add a little more colour the the finished kit, there's a photograph of ZA591 in Ian Black's book Tornado Pilot showing the aircraftf fitted with Desert Pink countermeasures pods and a pair of inert (blue painted bodies) one thousand pound bombs on the forward stations of the shoulder pylons.

3 minutes ago, Richard E said:

She looks very smart in that scheme - definitely worth the effort.

If you're ever motivated to add a little more colour the the finished kit, there's a photograph of ZA591 in Ian Black's book Tornado Pilot showing the aircraftf fitted with Desert Pink countermeasures pods and a pair of inert (blue painted bodies) one thousand pound bombs on the forward stations of the shoulder pylons.

Having just finished the Hasegawa kit I am done with desert pink! 😂

• Haha 2

Looks great here and in the gallery. I really like the black scheme and you have done it really well.

Well done for finishing 2 in the one GB.

Colin

• Thanks 1