Two Messerschmitt Bf 108s ++++Finished++++

Jpthedog

A placeholder for this GB from me. I put my name down for this build earlier in the year and here we are without a definite choice of kit until today! I have the stash on a spreadsheet (!) so I listed all the Heller kits - 24 in total with a couple of duplicates. I thought about a smaller kit as I have a few other build on at the moment and not sure I am need a big build - Constellation, DC6, Noratlas taking up the bench space just now - a Stratoliner has that privilege!

OK enough of the waffle - not sure I saw any other Bf108 Taifun's on the list, so I will build at least one of these.  A really attractive aircraft in my opinion and small without being fiddly I think. Not got the kit from the loft, but at least I know I have one in box 1 and 6.....

20201003_191828_resized_1.jpg

Scheme to be decided ,but I favour Spanish Condor Legion or D- civil from the 30's

Looking forward to the build. JP

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JP

Great choice, you rarely see one of these being built so it will be great to see you building one here.

Best of luck with this one. 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. Have looked both boxes out from the loft - box 1 - and ordered some Techmod decals - thinking one civil and one SCW but cant see any decals for the Condor Legion version. Hopefully simply builds!

Nice loft insulation Jinxman. Looking forward to seeing these 108’s built as it’s another one of those Heller kits that I’ve only just recently acquired. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

Obligatory box and sprue shots

Two different boxings

20201020_195800_resized.jpg

My favourite of the two - easily! Great artwork and of course the old Heller box style.

20201020_195806_resized.jpg

Old moulding - and dried up bulb of glue!

20201020_200050_resized.jpg

New moulding not so appealing in 'peely wally' sand coloured plastic!

20201020_200231_resized.jpg

20201020_200235_resized.jpg

Raised panel lines and fabric surfaces but we will live with that - its classic Heller after all!

20201020_200254_resized.jpg

So another GB about to begin. First evenings progress to follow.

JP

• Like 4

Our local modelling group have started 'meeting' once a week via zoom for a build night which has been great for catching up, banter, nonesense and of course some actual modelling!

I like to pick something that doesnt require painting, too many tools or concentration, so the perfect opportunity to crack open new kits and the Bf108s.

Building both in unison - this is my progress for the 2 hours in between the banter

The early 'instructions' - the newer ones provide a bit more guidance and give an order, but the old ones looked 'typed up' and very quaint, if you are into nostalgia and analogue modelling...

20201020_200431_resized.jpg

Cockpit/cabin arrangement fixed to the the wings, quite tidy for a 50 year old kit and it makes you wonder why some current manufacturers, albeit short-run, have not progressed in moulding quality. I have the wing /fuselage joint to tidy up on both - top half of wing very flexible at that point. Also a little bit of sanding of the wing tips to remove, overlap.

20201020_215044_resized.jpg

Wheel wells were bare so I added nominal detail with stretched sprue - no one looks underneath anyway..... Fabric flaps and ailerons in evidence. The pictures I have studied show a smoother fabric, will reduce under primer and paint hopefully.

20201020_215100_resized.jpg

Thats me up to date but hopefully the weekend weather will mean more modelling time!!

JP

• Like 7

Nice start JP and great to see the quality of plastic still seems crisp between the original and newer moulding. The wheel detail looks fine and is just enough to make a slight different. 
Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice start JP and great to see the quality of plastic still seems crisp between the original and newer moulding. The wheel detail looks fine and is just enough to make a slight different. 
Cheers... Dave 

Dave thanks - yes plastic is decent in both kits. I agree, just a little detailing in the wheel wells at that scale will suffice. I am studying pics of the real aircraft as little details at that scale can elevate the finished model - he said!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Looking good so far. I need a Taifün in my collection - and I learned today four civilian Bf108s were impressed by the RAF at the start of World War Two. 

Cheers Heather - nice aircraft from the golden age. I have the Eduard 1/48 boxing too, so may dig that one out as reference. I noted that some were impressed into RAF service - camo schemes I think.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress on the two 108's at the weekend. Fuselage together and interior painted.

Bf108+progress.jpg

20201101_162804_resized.jpg

20201101_181544_resized.jpg

20201101_181622_resized.jpg

I also sprayed the wheel wells and added some small scribed details, copying them from my 1/48 version. Cockpit glazing not fitting as well as i thought despite numerous dry-fittings. i think the glazing is overall too wide for the fuselage - thats my excuse anyway!

• Like 9

I’ve just ordered the Tecmod decal set from the UK, so if it arrives in time I might just add yet another of these Bf 108 kits into the mix as well. These two kits are looking great and hopefully you’ll have luck fairing in that large canopy. I had similar problems with Heller’s Saab Safir however a bit (lot) of sanding and micro meshing won out in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Looking very good - nice work.

Thanks Jinxman

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great little kit this one,good progress too!

Cheers Steve. Yes a simple but decent kit.

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve just ordered the Tecmod decal set from the UK, so if it arrives in time I might just add yet another of these Bf 108 kits into the mix as well. These two kits are looking great and hopefully you’ll have luck fairing in that large canopy. I had similar problems with Heller’s Saab Safir however a bit (lot) of sanding and micro meshing won out in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - what colours are you going to paint yours in? I have the Techmod decals - will be the dark blue one D-IBMY I thing the reg is. Canopies are cemented in and one is masked so  I am leaving canopy as-is I think. The canopy is bordered by a silver frame which I am hoping covers the fault....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jpthedog said:

... what colours are you going to paint yours in?

Well if I can find a decent RLM 24, I think I’ll go a dark blue one as well. They just look so good in that scheme. Still, not 100% sure though. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Well if I can find a decent RLM 24, I think I’ll go a dark blue one as well. They just look so good in that scheme. Still, not 100% sure though. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Dave

I've used Revell 56 matt enamel - I will coat with Klear and see how its looking after that

• Thanks 1

A bit of progress onto the two Taifuns.

Masked the rear windows with Maskol for a change, as I didnt want to risk pushing the transparency into the fuselage by using tape. Rest of canopy masked with Tamiya tape and a sharp scalpel.

20201102_204231_resized.jpg

Next we are onto priming using Ultimate Primer for the fist time instead of my usual Tamiya from can. Grey (make that dark grey) - hope the top coat paintwork will look OK on such a dark base.

20201107_154047_resized.jpg

The two Taifuns primed. Leave overnight to harden off. A very light rub with the foam backed sanding pads - 2500 grit? just to take off any roughness.

20201107_165725_resized.jpg

Underside showing some minor additional scribed detail - looks OK even though the rest of the kit is raised panel lines.

20201107_165749_resized.jpg

Revell 54 blue enamel sprayed on - the light not quite replicating the actual colour. Will let this dry a day or so then apply Klear for the decals and just to see what the paint looks like.

20201108_125817_resized.jpg

20201108_125828_resized.jpg

Willie Messerchmitt's grey one using Hataka RLM63 - added a couple of drops of flow improver and didnt have any clogging this time!! Again has a nominal green tinge in real life.

20201108_131923_resized.jpg

Underside detail again

20201108_140359_resized.jpg

I will let harden for a day or two and  then work out how I am painting the chrome strip around the glazed parts. Then get them ready for decalling. This Heller kit has a simplicity and looks reasonably detailed for the size and age. Enjoying the simple build.

Cheers

JP

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Both are looking really lovely. That Revell blue doesn’t look that bad does it? I might have to invest in a tin of that stuff. Thanks for that. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Dave thanks for the comments. Let me take a picture in daylight to see how the blue is looking. I think it's fine - who has a colour pic of the original to check?????, JP

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...