Italeri/Hasegawa Typhoon Ib

GRK

Hi all

Moving straight on from my Eduard Fw190 A4 build onto the latest delivery from Mr.Postman, the Italeri rebox of the Hasegawa Typhoon. I haven't done a WiP before so not sure how exciting this one will be but i'll try to keep progress ticking along- I state my intent now! To be fair though the small part number should help speed things along. 

We'll see how I get on with the infamous fuselage inserts- seen a few different ways of tackling this but watch this space. 

IMG_2405a

I've also a few extra goodies to help with the final look

IMG_2407a

I'm hoping to put quite a bit of detail into the cockpit as its fairly sparse. I've made a start with the milliput seat padding and plonked a compass in using the unnecessary part the attaches to the back of the headrest. Next will be adding all the wiring.

IMG_2408

• Like 7

Good stuff. Putting the finishing touches to mine as we speak. Does the kit still have inserts around the cockpit. Best advice is to fit them to their respective halves first to minimize gaps. Even though I was cautious I still required a bit of putty and some thin plastic card in front of the cockpit

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Always wondered what this kit was like, I've had my eye on it online. Will be following along with much excitement!

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Love a Tiffin, will watch with interest too, the additional details will bring the cockpit to life.  Great start. 

Chris

Hi both, thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Good stuff. Putting the finishing touches to mine as we speak. Does the kit still have inserts around the cockpit. Best advice is to fit them to their respective halves first to minimize gaps. Even though I was cautious I still required a bit of putty and some thin plastic card in front of the cockpit

Hi Fubar, be good to see yours when its done. This is the way i'm going too.  

• Like 1

So a bit more progress on the cockpit today. 

I've added more detail to the back of the armoured headrest using a bit of etch left over from the Tamiya Spit and a spare footstep from the FW190 to make the bar and support for the shoulder straps to hang over:

IMG_2416

IMG_2417

Also a few details added to the stick:

IMG_2415

I've also fitted the cockpit inserts to the fuselage. This is the well known flaw in the kit in that you either have to add them so they join at the top or at the sides. Either way leaves a gap somewhere but the general advice is to join at the sides and fill in the top gap. The picture below shows the size of the gap!!! This is just dry fitted but its not any better now that the sides are glued in.

IMG_2412

I don't have any plastic card handy so will try to use a bit of stretched sprue to fill the worst of it and then putty to finish. We'll see how it goes- not looking forward to re-scribing any panel lines as i always end up slipping

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Always wondered what this kit was like, I've had my eye on it online. Will be following along with much excitement!

Get it!  Just finished the Hasegawa boxing....................what a great kit.  Easy assembly, with the only fit issue being the inserts that get added to the fuselage sides. Supposedly the gear bay is not right, but still looks like a Typhoon to me.

59 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Get it!  Just finished the Hasegawa boxing....................what a great kit.

Been and had a look and a lovely result, couldn't see a faintest hint of the insert. I’ll be made up if I can get my join looking as smooth

• Like 1

So a bit more progress has been made on the cockpit. Just need to tidy up a bit of the dust wash as the edges are too harsh, i might try a touch of pigment as these would have got dusty operating from the forward fields in Normandy. Oh and paint the buckles silver on the lap straps. 

IMG_2431

IMG_2432

I have given the dials a glob of future/pledge but i might go back and use some Crystal Klear to make the glass more obvious.

IMG_2434

The initial plan to do some of the wiring along the cockpit walls has wandered off somewhere. A- because i couldn't find any good pictures of the cockpit walls and B- because i wasn't sure how much room there would be once it was glued to the fuselage and C- once its in there's very little of the pit on show!

Next up will be the resin air intake upgrade and then the fuselage can be joined together. 

Edited by GRK
  • Like 3

Looking good. When it came to joining the wings to the fuselage, I had to put some shims inside the wings to get everything lined up at the wing root. I don't recall other builds having this issue. I had a real problem getting the stabilizers to mount in the tail section. They interlock inside and I couldn't get mine to do it and in the end removed two tabs on one side which gave me a perfect fit. They would fit okay away from the fuselage which is very odd. Again....I could not find another build with this issue

img_0003-jpg.591869

Edited by fubar57

Some decent progress today. I've joined the fuselage up and the top/bottom wings together. To tackle the gap caused by the cockpit inserts I've stretched some sprue and glued in the gap along with plenty of extra thin glue to melt it in. 

IMG_2439

IMG_2441

IMG_2442

The upgrade air filter is nice and fits in pretty well to the kit. Much better detail than the kit version.

IMG_2443

I've also added some rivet detailing to the wings. Riveting is one of those things I think 'yep definitely a good idea' until I do about two lines then think 'what the hell am i doing?'. I don't know how people keep straight lines, my tool goes all over the place. I usually try and keep the tool along an edge of an old PE parts frame as its nice and thin and will bend around the surface but its very easy to slip! Any tips most welcome as the fuselage will be next!!!

IMG_2444

And this is where I'm at at close of play today. Now off to get the fire lit!

• Like 2

After what seems an age of sanding, filling, re-sanding, re-scribing and yet more sanding, I've finally managed to get some paint on! After a primer coat to highlight any bits of sanding I'd missed (and there were a few :( ), I've put down a coat of humbrol aluminium as I'm going to try some chipping effects later. I'm going to be using MRP paints which are lacquers, so I did some searching on forums and you tube to see if the hairspray method  would actually work as I've only done it before on acrylics. Seems it will work but you need to lightly sand the top layer to allow the water to seep through to the hairspray layer underneath. I'm quite excited about using fine sandpaper to create some abraded effects which I haven't tried before. 

Anyway, some pics. First of the result of all the sanding, filling, re-sanding, re-scribing and yet more sanding!

IMG_2462

IMG_2461

Rockets all made up:

IMG_2460

And brake lines added to the undercarriage:

IMG_2459

And finally everything with a aluminium base layer:

IMG_2463

I've got next week off so hoping to have it finished....or at least painted and decaled! :)

• Like 5

On 22/10/2020 at 20:32, fubar57 said:

I had a real problem getting the stabilizers to mount in the tail section. They interlock inside and I couldn't get mine to do it and in the end removed two tabs on one side which gave me a perfect fit.

I though I'd have the same problem for a moment but in the end i got them to join up inside! 

Todays work was finishing the invasion stripes. The picture I'm using for a reference is of a 247 squadron aircraft and the fuselage invasion stripes don't wrap around the whole way, but this was taken later on in the Normandy campaign when the squadron was based at at forward airfields whereas the version Italeri included I think was actually damaged by flak prior to the squadron moving over to the continent and was sent for repair. Long story short is I went with full fuselage invasion stripes!

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/typhoon/typhoon-mn317-zy-b-247-bazenville/

IMG_2468

IMG_2470

My black bands on the fuselage are too thin so i'll have to go back and re mask to even them up with the white bands. 

IMG_2471

I've done some chipping on the leading edges. I know that this paint would have only been 3 days old (or 1 day for D-Day) but if I'm portraying it for its last sortie on the 8th maybe the hastily applied stripes would have seen some wear!!!! Go on you know you agree! ;) 

Good to be onto painting proper! 

Edited by GRK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow this has come on well since I last visited, looking great so far and wing invasion stripes with chipping looks good.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It was a bit two steps forward, one back today as i was impatient and i peeled some of the invasion stripes off whilst widening one of the bands but getting there! I'm off for a week now and with this new lockdown coming in i guess I'll just have to spend most of it modelling!  I've got the sky band on now and the spinner is done. Don't know whether to get the yellow leading edge down before the rest of the camo or leave it till last. Last may be easier but then it will more difficult to chip. Hmmm. 

Anyway thanks for popping back in

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:34 AM, fubar57 said:

Agreed 200% !!

Sound advice, the way I did on mine months ago !!

very good job GRK !!

A bit late on the party but well done !!

Sincerely.

CC

On 31/10/2020 at 21:09, corsaircorp said:

very good job GRK !!

A bit late on the party but well done !!

Thanks, Ha never too late unless you miss the painting (obviously the best bit!) Which you haven't as here it goes:

I covered up the invasion stripes and brushed on the panel line shading using Vallejo Air (already nice and thin-although I'm now worrying that it may have run under the masking on the stripes. Time will tell!)

IMG_2483

IMG_2487

And then some post shading and a little chipping:

IMG_2486

IMG_2485

Hopefully get the green on later today

• Like 3