1/48 BAe SEA HARRIER FRS. 1 (Kinetic)

Hi there!

After almost a 20 years hiatus... I returned to this beautiful youth hobby a few months ago, and decided to give it a go with some old WWII kits (Tamiya's Wildcat, for instance).

However, during the reading of the excellent book written by Commander Nigel David "Sharkey" Ward about his experiencies flying the SHAR during the 1982 conflict between UK and Argentina, I decided to build several British and Argentinian aircraft on a "Falklands/Malvinas" serie. 

To start the fires, I chose the Kinetic 1/48 scale BAe SEA HARRIER FRS. 1.

Here are some photos of its process and the final results.

PS: this was the second jet that I painted with acrylics... and I loved the results! Cris.

PS 2: SuE is on it's way!

p?i=b11188c5f734fc3ff1504ee848b29b05

p?i=8fd76ab5cfe94eb11b7d99371c145b89

p?i=f76f8876f1da866d18c3bba4b7b4be77

p?i=acb0f3a2334491358b35170b64f2cd1e

p?i=20349856563c5b72e73a722e075f0c86

p?i=91c7cd52980672b800de2e0ffd71c009

p?i=697eb6de39914b17b6ae4069055605f8

p?i=e977dea0ed481f0bfea51ab6c73d9df3

p?i=37f651dc1f79ecfa5adc56cd4f5b7039

p?i=07a3361a8ec821c57d25a6416264dcfe

p?i=d4e1d149a6e8369e3149f86502e71c41

p?i=ff28011531fa2aea47918d04e6d4032a

p?i=adc7756a992c75d42e545b318d4e4f7d

IMG_3519

IMG_3526

IMG_3527

IMG_3528

IMG_3521

IMG_3849

IMG_4179

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 52

That's really nice work. Based on your comments, I may need to make the switch to acrylics. I've used enamels for years and am a bit reluctant to leave my painting comfort zone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's really nice work. Based on your comments, I may need to make the switch to acrylics. I've used enamels for years and am a bit reluctant to leave my painting comfort zone.

Thank you! Acrylics totally recommended! The pros are several: no toxic fumes, 15-30 min (even less with a hair dryer) for the paint to dry, water soluble, lots of excellent brand with hundreds of colors... You will have to get use to use a primer for the paint, but that is not a problem. Good luck!

Hi Cris,

the best looking of all the Harriers!!! 

And built to an impressive standard! I have a weakness for the pre-Malvinas paint scheme, but that's just me! But your model is brilliant.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

Agree the best of the Harriers. One , may be still there, ssuspended in the Flett air Arm Museum. Lovely aircraft.

I put it in the same catergory as a Spitfire superb British Imagination & Engineering. What they did in the Falklands especially Sharkey Ward lot.

Nice work like it very much.

Laurie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Cris Garciathat does look very good.

Can I ask you a question about this kit ?

I’ve just bought it, and having looked at the build instructions, I see no reference as to where to put the Photo Etch that came with it. 
Do you know where the PE parts go ?

Jon

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’ve just bought it, and having looked at the build instructions, I see no reference as to where to put the Photo Etch that came with it. 

Jon

Jon

Eduard always have there instructions with the item on theri site. Here are the references.

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/49769.pdf

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/48887.pdf

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/EX508.pdf

However if you have the PE in a packet open the packet & the instructions are normally in the packet.

Laurie

Just l

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

Jon

Jon think I have gone down the wrong track.

It is the small, I think, fret with & items. Identified the PI hooked articles. Page 12 of the instructions PE. The hooked things fir over the wings. Not very well described.

Not sure where the othere piece goes.

Laurie

23 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@LaurieS the PE came with the kit, so it’s in a clear plastic envelope, it’s not Eduard. I didn’t think of looking on the Eduard site for their instruction, good idea.

Jon

On some they have photos of the PE in position which is very helpful on complicated efforts. Got mine to build. I f you could let me know if you find the positions of the other pieces.

Laurie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Great build, have this kit too.

@One 48Have you built it ?

@LaurieSThis is the PE that is in the box. I've highlighted the bits I think I recognise. As for the other bits, maybe seat belts ? But the rest, no idea, and there is no mention of them throughout the instruction manual.

p?i=251f8d13a971945460e9646e94f3d89c

p?i=2fe2df6095da006df6299025704b26c2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

@One 48Have you built it ?

@LaurieSThis is the PE that is in the box. I've highlighted the bits I think I recognise. As for the other bits, maybe seat belts ? But the rest, no idea, and there is no mention of them throughout the instruction manual.

I am Jealous Jon my with kit PE is a third of that size.

But have the BigEd by Eduard which is very good but expensive. But I like messing around with PE.

Laurie

15 hours ago, Faraway said:

Jon

Hi Jon, sorry for my late answer! As LaurieS have showed, instructions held little information regarding the PE parts.  I used only the seat belts and those U shaped parts on the front of the wings. But the rest... still remains quite misterious to me... Anyway, thanks for your kinds words.  After I uploaded the photos, I correct some issues with the front canopy (putty for the win!) and now it looks much better!  I'll upload new photos soon. 

What a lovely aeroplane the SHAR! Unique and deadly on the right hands.  I'm currently reading "HARRIER 809" by Rowland White... highly recommended! (Chile appears a lot! Sorry my argentinian friends!).  Cris.

• Thanks 1

On 22/10/2020 at 16:54, junglierating said:

Really nice BZ to you👏 although the load looks a bit optimistic dont think Sea Eagle had its realase to service in 1982 but could be wrong🤔

You are absolutely right!  The Sea Eagle was not used at the Falklands, but I wanted to show all the SHAR capabilities (including the cluster bomb!).  The other type of bomb that they used (toss bombing!) was the 1,000 lb HE bomb, but it is not included in the Kinetic kit.  Nor in their FA.2 version or in the brand new GR.3... 

• Like 1