1/43 Ecurie Ecosse Tranporter, D-Type and bonus XK120

Hi folks, another older build from me.

This was another one I  built for my Dad, a lifelong Jaguar and Ecurie Ecosse fan so I thought I'd squeeze as much in as I could for his Christmas one year.

The transporter is from SMTS a presented a few challenges for me, the thing is entirely white metal and photo etch, no resin, so it weighs a tonne, I ended up soldering the various body parts together as the weight of it convinced me that glue wasn't an option, the size of it was a challenge when painting too, my 0.4mm airbrush struggled to deliver enough paint so by the time I got to the end of 1 side, the start of it was nearly dry, fortunately I wasn't looking for a super glossy finish, it's a truck after all.

The D-Type was a Starter model, very simple build, although the solid resin headlights has yellowed somewhat.

The XK120 was an AMR kit, beautifully engineered as you'd expect from AMR, even including the photo etched ignition key and key ring if you zoom in a bit.

The transporter came with lots of tools, tool boxes, welding gear etc and I cut open the side door so you could actually see inside to the little workshop they had in there.

All the figures are from Denizen's 1/43 range, painted with citadel and vallejo acrylics, the paint I used for the Ecurie Ecosse vehicles was car paint Lotus B72 Lynx Flag Blue Metallic, I'm not sure how close it is to the real colour, but it looks nice enough.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers - Rab.

IMG-0977.jpg

IMG-0979.jpg

IMG-0980.jpg

IMG-0983.jpg

IMG-0985.jpg

IMG-0988.jpg

IMG-0989.jpg

IMG-0991.jpg

IMG-0993.jpg

IMG-0994.jpg

IMG-0997.jpg

• Like 17

27 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

Lovely build, very impressive

I have the Corgi one in the loft somewhere

Very cool, I didn't realise they'd made one, must be worth a wee bit now, I just googled the Corgi version and nearly had a heart attack when I saw it had a sliding side door, I thought I'd made a horrible mistake, but a quick search for the rear thing shows it was hinged, phew.

Cheers - Rab.

Beautiful model and a lovely setting. I've seen the real thing a few times, including once on the road. The real transporter is a smokey beast thanks to its two stroke diesel motor. 

Thanks folks, my dad was pretty pleased when he unwrapped it and he's a grumpy old sod so it did the job.

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Looks lovely! I've been tempted a few times by this kit.

It's a nice, well detailed kit and the accessories are great, but it's a hefty beast and assembly is a bit awkward, the Base, sides, front and roof are all separate pieces and some careful alignment is needed to keep it all straight. I see that SMTS are selling it on eBay at the moment for £160, so it's not cheap either.

5 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Beautiful model and a lovely setting. I've seen the real thing a few times, including once on the road. The real transporter is a smokey beast thanks to its two stroke diesel motor. 

I'd like to see it someday, the engine has horizontally opposed pistons doesn't it?

27 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looks a nice build, especially given the small scale. And judging by the pics I took of the real thing I'd agree that you've got pretty close with the colour of it.

Before I built it, I sprayed a few test pieces and drove up to the Moray motor museum in Elgin, they had an Imp engined single seater and the Jackie Stewart Tojeiro Ford at the time and my samples looked a pretty good match although I can't say how original they were.

Cheers - Rab

7 minutes ago, RabRoberts said:

I'd like to see it someday, the engine has horizontally opposed pistons doesn't it?

Cheers - Rab

Yes, it's a three cylinder, six-piston layout where the piston crowns face each other; like a Junkers aircraft engine (I think the originator of the idea) or Napier Deltic.  Unlike the Junkers or Napier the Commer engine has one crankshaft and the pistons are connected to it with some sturdy rocker arms.  The Transport Museum in Coventry has (or had) a cutaway, motorised model of the engine.

That’s a fabulous display there Rab! You’ve nailed the colour, I think the original paint was by Ault Wyborg? Definitely flag blue metallic.Didn’t know Lotus had a flag blue. I think the XK120 is my favourite there,love that one. Chris

1 hour ago, klubman01 said:

Nice work Rab.  Is the registration number of the XK120 significant?

Trevor

Thanks Trevor.

My Dad's name is Robert, goes by Bob to his friends, hence BOB 120.

10 hours ago, Kitkent said:

That’s a fabulous display there Rab! You’ve nailed the colour, I think the original paint was by Ault Wyborg? Definitely flag blue metallic.Didn’t know Lotus had a flag blue. I think the XK120 is my favourite there,love that one. Chris

Cheers Chris.

I think you're right about the original paint, there's many, many discussion threads on various forums about the correct paint colour but I'm pretty sure the guys building and racing the things didn't care half as much as we do :)

The XK120 is my Dad's all time favourite Jag and he specified the colours too, Old English White and a dark red interior so that's what he got. Looking a the photos, your previous comment about AMR models being overscale rings true, I'm pretty sure the XK120 isn't much longer than the D-Type but those models are clearly different sizes.

Cheers - Rab.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RabRoberts said:

Thanks Trevor.

My Dad's name is Robert, goes by Bob to his friends, hence BOB 120.

Cheers Rab.  I thought it might be something like that.

Trevor