260 - Saab S 29C Tunnan 1/72 +++Finished+++

Bjorn

And here is #5! This one was released in 1978, I can still remember buying my first one. This was a fantastic release for us Swedes, until that day, Viggen and Draken were the only Swedish subjects that had been kitted as injection mould kits. And more happy days would follow with Safir, J 21 from Heller and a production-version AJ 37 Viggen and another Tunnan from Matchbox. And the - at that time - amazing 1/48 Esci Viggen!

But back to the Tunnan. I found a more recent release in my stash, moulded in a plastic more suited for rescribing panel lines than the 1970s releases. Decals are as always crap, but I found two sheets that contains all UN decals that i need for my Congo-based recce-Tunnan. I will also replace the kit seat wit a Pavla resin seat. Maybe I also will replace the wheels.

50504765626_b62d8b5359_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 11

• Bjorn changed the title to 260 - Saab S 29C Tunnan 1/72

Nice choice Björn even if I do say so myself.

It will be interesting to see your recce bird next to my fighter.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

A lovely kit and it was really good of Heller to cater for the Swedish modelling community back in the day. Mind you, many other International modellers were just as pleased as well. Having also been kindly given a black box issue of this kit, I just need to stump up for a good set of decals, and I’d consider adding mine to this GB. I’ll be watching on with keen interest. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I am happy to hear that - both about your possible entry in this GB and about the international interest of Swedish aviation! Yes, the fact that this model is still in print, more than 40 years after the first release, is a sign that there must be lots of Tunnan-lovers around the world!

And the build is underway now. I started with rescribing panel lines - and couldn't resist trying some riveting. I seldom do riveting, but since not much will be seen through the Congo camouflage.

50515538911_eeeca204c6_c.jpg

Cockpit is more symbolic... The seat is also simplified, but rather correct. I replaced it with a Pavla seat, and suddenly found myself scratch-building a new cockpit. 

50514825038_5f0950fb64_c.jpg

50514824918_440a8b228c_c.jpg

I really don't know why, since not much will be seen. I think it is just some kind of modeller's disease to do these things... :) I will use the kit's control stick and instrument panel, although I will use some kind of instrument decals. It seems as if this one will have open canopy, which was nothing that I expected a few days ago.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Cockpit painted:

50557873463_1e4c5d2e9c_c.jpg

Next step was to... Well, to build the model... Having built loads of these back in the days, I am pretty familiar with this kit. And fit is generally good, so this step was perhaps the easiest.

50558736652_2349288a8e_c.jpg

I opened the air brakes, these will be scratch-built and left open as they often were on parked Tunnans. I also drilled the holes for the cameras on the front side, below the cockpit. The nose cameras on the underside were not transparent windows, but hatches that often were black. I also filled the strange recessed part behind the nose wheel well that were not present on the real thing.

50557872193_e949ab7a9d_c.jpg

The postman just brought me some goodies, among them these lovely Aires wheels, that will be a great improvement compared to the kit wheels:

50558737252_0accb869a0_c.jpg

• Like 9

It’s great seeing these WIPs being build by modellers with great local knowledge. I’ve picked up quite a few small detail differences that will add greatly to any finished model. This J-29 is looking really good Bjorn. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 21:56, Rabbit Leader said:

It’s great seeing these WIPs being build by modellers with great local knowledge. I’ve picked up quite a few small detail differences that will add greatly to any finished model. This J-29 is looking really good Bjorn. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks! And now this one is almost ready for the Congo camouflage. An inspiring challenge!

50571386098_897f8b4864_c.jpg

But wait! I almost forgot the camera sight  (Heller did!) That is, the strange thing below the cockpit. But it is pretty easy to scratch-build. At least in this scale.

50573077891_823388f85d_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a big decal session this weekend. So now the Tunnan (and the Lansen) has got its decals. I used a mix of left-over decals from Tarangus's J 29B (UN badges), Flying Colors Tunnan sheet (stencils) and the Heller "B" on the fin. It should have a thin black outline, but since I couldn't find any such B, and the outline is almost invisible even on the real thing, this was good enough for me:

50689607693_20f9185f2e_c.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Pavla seat is painted, the landing gears glued in place (the nose one has got a small extra detail, seen on the picture below this one) and the small nose radar warning system (that was used on the recce version only) is added since it is missing in the kit. The part behind the cockpit has also recieved a few details since it will be visible when canopy is open.

50764798648_233e386a33_c.jpg

After a wash is the drop tanks are glued in place and the Tunnan ready for the final stages of this build!

50765495486_5dd77ccefa_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My plan was to build most of these Heller kits at the same time. Sometimes a little frustrating when nothing seemed to be finished - but more rewarding now when they are finished one after one! :) 

50821956387_5f7eb80fa3_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 11

• Bjorn changed the title to 260 - Saab S 29C Tunnan 1/72 +++Finished+++

That has really has turned out wonderfully well Bjorn and echoing other statements probably one of the best renditions of a Heller Tunnan ever built. 
Cheers, congratulations and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thank you! Well, it is maybe not the best Heller Tunnan ever built, but definitely the best one that I have built. And they are quite a few... Actually, I had two goals with this GB:

1. To finally build all those old Hellers in my stash, using the aftermarket products that I once bought, but in recent years never thoght I would use. Actually, just before this GB was announced, I sold a bunch of old Heller Saabs.

2. To build these kits the way I dreamed of when I was a teenager and my skills, equipment and possibility to find references were not as good as today. As I mentioned, I have built loads of these old Heller goldies, surely more than 30 examples of my ten kits in this GB (that is total, not of each kit...) back in the days. 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bjorn said:

2. To build these kits the way I dreamed of when I was a teenager and my skills, equipment and possibility to find references were not as good as today.

You see, that's the difference Bjorn. Your modelling skills have moved on to a very accomplished level. I'm still building mine like a teenager stuck in 1983! 🤣